cobalt ip analog point motor c/w cobalt s switch

colney123

Evening , I am in the process of trying to build a layout (aren't we all) and have fitted peco point motors , but I have brought the cobalt ip analog point motor and cobalt s switch which should be so simple to do as I only want to change the points but there are so many wires and the diagrams are a bit small and the more I read the more I turn into Homer Simpson and the cobalt gear might have a swift trip to the bin .......grrrrrrrrr

I have looked at there web site and can't make head nor tail of it , is it really so hard or is it back to peco for me.

Hi

The Cobalt S lever has three independent sets of contacts. Two sets of change over latching and one set of change over Momentary. For the standard ip Cobalt motor you need to use the latching contacts.

There are two ways of powering the motors....

A ). If you have the Cobalt 2+ power pack, run one wire from the middle terminal on the power pack to the Cobalt motor 1 terminal.

Now run two wires from the power supplies outer two terminals to the S lever, connecting them onto the S lever board terminals marked 4 and 5.

Run one wire from the S lever terminal 6 to the Cobalt motor terminal 2.

Your Cobalt motor will now move under the control of the S lever.

If it throws the opposite way to that of the lever swap the two wires around on 4 & 5 of the S lever.

B ). If you do not have the dual power supply but a single 9 - 12 volt DC supply, then you will need to use both of the latching contacts on the S lever.

So now take your 9 - 12 volt DC power supplies Positve and Negative wires to the S lever. Connect positive onto 4 and negative onto 5. Then link 4 to 9 and also link 5 to 8.

Run two wires from S lever terminals 6 and 7 to the Cobalt ip motor connecting them to the ip motor terminals 1 & 2. If the motor operates the opposite direction from the lever swap motor wires on terminals 1 & 2.

Edit to correct typos.

Are you saying the motor inside the Cobalt ip keeps running?

Its internal mechanism should stop it and cause it to go into a motor stall condition until you throw the S lever the opposite way when then the IP motor should drive to it's opposite end of travel and go into a motor stall.

The gaugemaster M1/T1 transformer supplies 2x 16V AC at 1 amp each (I'm assuming that's the supply you're using?). The constant cycling back and forth that your point motor is doing is due to the current consistently changing direction, hence; Alternating Current. As Brian has said, the cobalt needs DC power to operate correctly.

Archived