Converting LMS Jinty into Midland Railway 0-6-0T 2441 Class

I'm interested in modelling a Midland Railway 0-6-0T and I've noticed a few differences like the tank at the back. What are the major differences and are they easy to do on an LMS Jinty or are there too many differences?

Has anyone else attempted this?

Cheers.

Thanks for your reply.

I've had a look at the Thomas model and i see where you're coming from. I could cut and shut various parts of both my LMS Jinty loco and a Thomas body (and have a better idea of which parts). The Jinty has seen better days and the motor makes a horrible grinding sound. I'd rather sell that as spares and use a fresh Chassis from Thomas.

The alternative is to modify my LMS Jinty. There are certain parts I can't get rid of that easily and I might have to end up creating some kind of "hybrid" between this:

https://basilicafields.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/mr-2441-2444.jpg

http://www.vectis.co.uk/AuctionImages/336/4590_l.jpg(right model)

And this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/47231_Whitacre%2C_1964.jpg

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/02/82/20/2822011_b3d10314.jpg

Of course, I wouldn't have an accurate roof and I can forget about the "window" frames so I might go with that option. I will still have to scratch build that brass exhaust and extra piping.

The first two pics show the locos as built with round-top fireboxes and small cab. The model one is probably a K's kit on a Hornby Dublo chassis (the front of the footplating is too long btw the fit the RTR chassis).

The third and fourth pics show rebuilt locos with Belpaire fireboxes and new cabs.

Thirty of the sixty MR locos had condensing gear as shown in pics 1 and 4.

The main obvious differences were the straight-backed bunker, the joggle in the top of the side tanks by the cab and the straight-up smokebox front. Somebody (Alan Gibson Workshop?) makes a smokebox front. Not sure about the height of the tanks but one of the NRM/Wild Swan books covers the class. I seem to remember an article in a fairly recent magazine about a conversion.

Cotswold used to do a white metal body kit for the MR Belpaire loco. I have two which will hopefully fit Bachmann chassis.

Edit to correct kit manufacturer to Craftsman as spotted by Pete below.

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

The best chassis would be the Bachmann Jinty, the best body would be an old whitemetal K's bobdyline Johnson 0-6-0 kit body.

Rare these days even on E-bay, so the Hornby Thomas E2 may be easier to aquire?

Gotta say I'd be tempted to try the Thomas route with the tanks cut back and the side window cut away to make the larger cab cut out. the only major work would be the footplate at the front and rear and once done you would need to lower the body a little or the buffers will be to high so you will need to see if it would still clear the motor if lowered, this is the Hornby chassis if the Bachmann Jinty chassis is the same as the pannier tank chassis then the can motor is a lot lower than the Hornby one so I would be tempted to start with a Thomas body on the Bachmann chassis. good luck Steve

• Like 1

The article was in Model Rail a few years ago. This is something I'd like to try, if it's possible.

Seeing the work you turn out Nile this would be just a walk in the park for you.

I don't do Midland but love per-grouping and am tempted myself. I've got a Hornby Thomas and a Bachmann pannier so might just have a look later to see if its feasible it is and how compatible they might be together.

• Like 1

This is one which I did years ago (before the Bachmann Jinty was even thought of), when the only rtr donor available was the Hornby model. I did most of it using scrap bits, or recycling parts off the original jinty. The only parts I bought were the Chimney, Clack valves and coal rails (all from Alan Gibson).

I lowered the body by about 1.5mm (which was still over height, but a bit less obvious). I razor-sawed off the front of the smokebox, smoothed and squared it off with a file as there is quite a lot of plastic at the front of a Hornby Jinty. The smokebox door came off cleanly with the original smokebox front, so I filed the blank bit off the back and glued the door back into position.

I filed the back of the bunker flat, and cut the top down along with the jiggle in the tank sides with a scalpel. The condensing gear was cut down from an N2 (which Dad had recently rebuilt as a non-condenser, first giving me the idea of doing the midland tank) the tank vents were simply plastic rod,, drilled at the top to indicate a tube.

post-8704-0-88396500-1437848051_thumb.jpg

I'm half way though designing a 3d printed body for one of these, to fit either the Bachmann or Hornby chassis. I'm not sure when she'll be finished, as I'm up to my eyes in college work at the moment, but here is a little teaser... Might be ready for release by Peterborough?!?

post-8704-0-49613700-1437848928_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

L49, that's a brilliant conversion! Which Alan Gibson parts did you use? Because, at a cursory glance, there's an array of components but I don't know which is which as I'm not all that versed in steam locomotives. Cheers.

I might go for the models without all the extra pipes (unless I can get hold of/scratch build them easily) to simplify things for me.

L49, that's a brilliant conversion! Which Alan Gibson parts did you use? Because, at a cursory glance, there's an array of components but I don't know which is which as I'm not all that versed in steam locomotives. Cheers.

I might go for the models without all the extra pipes (unless I can get hold of/scratch build them easily) to simplify things for me.

I'm really sorry, I can't remember any of the actual part descriptions or numbers. I used to delve through Alan's stand at shows digging out bits that looked right; sometimes I was right, other times I was less lucky.

I've just been through the new catalogue, and I think these are the right part numbers:

Chimney: 4M672

Clack valves: 4M625

I can't find any reference to the etched coal rails in the catalogue. I'm wondering now whether they might have been in the Crownline range (that really dates it!) I'll keep looking.

Edited by L49

• 2 years later...

This is one which I did years ago (before the Bachmann Jinty was even thought of), when the only rtr donor available was the Hornby model. I did most of it using scrap bits, or recycling parts off the original jinty. The only parts I bought were the Chimney, Clack valves and coal rails (all from Alan Gibson).

I lowered the body by about 1.5mm (which was still over height, but a bit less obvious). I razor-sawed off the front of the smokebox, smoothed and squared it off with a file as there is quite a lot of plastic at the front of a Hornby Jinty. The smokebox door came off cleanly with the original smokebox front, so I filed the blank bit off the back and glued the door back into position.

I filed the back of the bunker flat, and cut the top down along with the jiggle in the tank sides with a scalpel. The condensing gear was cut down from an N2 (which Dad had recently rebuilt as a non-condenser, first giving me the idea of doing the midland tank) the tank vents were simply plastic rod,, drilled at the top to indicate a tube.

attachicon.gif1951.jpg

I'm half way though designing a 3d printed body for one of these, to fit either the Bachmann or Hornby chassis. I'm not sure when she'll be finished, as I'm up to my eyes in college work at the moment, but here is a little teaser... Might be ready for release by Peterborough?!?

attachicon.gif3F first view 2.jpg

Did you manage to finish the MR 3F?