DCC CONTROL

Bala

My friend has a layout and has a Gaugemaster controller - I don't know which one but you select a loco by number from 6 loco's and run it.

I know nothing about DCC.  Is it possible to have a 'slave' controller that could separately control say a loco shunting on sidings while the main one handles say four trains running around loops. 

Any advice appreciated

Thank you

My friend has a layout and has a Gaugemaster controller - I don't know which one but you select a loco by number from 6 loco's and run it.

I know nothing about DCC.  Is it possible to have a 'slave' controller that could separately control say a loco shunting on sidings while the main one handles say four trains running around loops. 

Any advice appreciated

Thank you

DCC is capable of doing just what you ask and using one controller. It is a moot point whether one operator could easily or enjoyably control more than three locos at one time.

The Gaugemaster controller is not considered to be the industry leader in terms of DCC command station or throttle but I am prepared to say that I imagine that it is technically capable of selecting and potentially running more than six locos.

ANY compatible DCC controller connected to the central Unit can control ANY train, running ANYWHERE on the layout: there is NO 'geographic' designation enforced in DCC.

EQUALLY as has been implied above,  'NO CONTROLLER' needs to REMAIN  allocated to any loco which is simply left running around on a loop, or making stationary sounds and lighting in as siding.

NOTE: The NUMBER of 'active' or 'running' locos is decided by the designer of that particular system (and the current limit).

HOWEVER - Although the ON TRACK DCC signal is 'standard', ( with some caveats such as choice of track voltage and some other conditions ), there are DIFFERENT STANDARDS for the 'Control(ler) Bus which is used to allow multiple USER-Controls/handsets (including 'console designs') to be plugged together: the important point being that there is ONLY ONE 'Central UNIT' or Command Station in NMRA terminology.

Popular Control(ler) busses are EXPRESSNET® from LENZ and used by Roco, Hornby, the Bachmann EZcontroller, Arnold?  ZTC and many others.

LOCONET® used by Digitrax  and some Fleischmann / Uhlenbruch controllers ....

CAN-based busses

and some others ... sometimes 'confused' by the use of 'own names' such as Roconet from Roco which is Expressnet...   Differing plugs may be used with Expressnet makes

Several recent 'advanced' controllers are also MULTIPROTOCOL: not only  can they output DCC and possibly Mfx to the track, but ALSO accept Expressnet, Loconet, CANBUS 'Control(ler) busses.

Examples are ESU, Marklin CS2, Roco/Fleischmann Z21, Zimo ...... (mainly non-US manufacturers .... remember that nmra dcc was originated by Lenz

Examples: early LGB MTS (dcc)  handset selected 1 loco from 8 numbered 1-8... later controllers 1 loco per handset from 1-22 with a current limit of 5A overall.  & used a predeccessor of Expressnet

Lenz Units have a 'Central Box' with the 'intelligence' built in: the 'Command Station', and a choice of Expressnet handsets, including those of other makes such as Roco Multimaus.as a slave.

Hoiwever, the Roco MULTIMAUS is itself a Central Controller when plugged as 'Master' into the Roco 'Amplifier', as well as extra Expressnet devices (including computers) as SLAVES.

With many 'starter' controllers, the 'handset' may physically contain all the 3 functions of User Interface, Central Command Unit and Power Stage... such as some of the Gaugemaster options..

When the Multimaus is the Master Controller, the unit can remember/run 32 active locos, but with the MultiCentralePro this increased to 64...  whilst Massoth give the user a choice from 8+

Some controllers only remember/control one or 2 locos at a time, regardless of current limit; this has advantages and disadvantages. ... Restarting a new day with 32 or 64 earlier locos recalled might not be what you wanted!  The Roco Handset also remenbers the position of >2000 accessories (points/signals) .... and if a different handset is used next time as a Master, the starting values will be wrong 8-(  (This can affect users setting up at a Show, with multiple handsets being plugged in ... label one as the 'Master' and use it each time 8-)

When choosing an additional controller: find the specific COntrol(ler) bus protocol used, and choose from the alternatives available - you may have to make an adapter plug.

When choosing a NEW DCC SYSTEM:  Consider YOUR PREFERENCES of Console Style/Handset/Wireless,  Number range supported and accessory number range supported - ans ease of slecting between Loco and Accessory Control.  Also Knob, Slider, or Button style speed control  etc etc  and also the size of your layout (number off trains running and locos parked) and  loco stock list.

Hi

The Prodigy Advance2 DCC02 can have up to a maximum of 99 throttles attached to the one base station. Not all directly connected of course to the base unit! though the base does allow 3 throttles to be connected if wished. Additional throttles not plugged directly into the base are series linked via connector plates and cables.  These extra throttles are sold by Gaugemaster in the UK under the Gaugemaster part number DCC14 Prodigy Advance Backlit Walkaround.

It smaller sister, the Prodigy Express DCC01, can have up a maximum of 20 throttles on the base.

I would advise you not to try and mix and match differing makes of throttles. As some include track power in the throttle while others do not, and there can also be serious mismatching of systems, this could lead to possible failure of one or both systems. 

How many locos can be controlled by one throttle is really dependent on two things  .. 1) The operators capability to keep control over all those locos running (Excluding PC control methods) and 2) The current (Amperes) available to track.  More Amps equals more locos running. Typically a standard non sound loco running will consume roughly 250 to 350 milliamp (0.25A to 0.35A). So times that by the number actually moving and you have the maximum the system can run form the base unit, of course you can increase track power by adding a Booster if its needed. You will of course additionally need to factor in other current demands too, like stationary locos which will still draw a small current from the supply and any other DCC operated accessories that may be powered.

The six loco addresses you mention in your opening post are those held in the throttles 'stack' for quick recall. The two systems can, by manually entering an address number, operate any loco with address numbers between 1 and 9,999.

I have both the Prodigy Advance and the NCE PowerCab DCC systems, but they cannot be intermixed throttle wise though they look fairly similar. Of course trying to have two DCC systems feeding onto the one bus pair or track is just asking for trouble!!

Edit to add last line.

... Is it possible to have a 'slave' controller that could separately control say a loco shunting on sidings while the main one handles say four trains running around loops...

As already mentioned a single controller is strictly all that is required, as the user flips from number to number, calling up locos to change their speed setting and direction. It depends on the individual's taste to just what extent dancing on the control interface while keeping the all movements under observation appeals. You can however only really directly drive one loco at a time in an activity inherently stop-go with reversals and route change such as shunting; although I suppose there will be someone out there able to successfully perform two such activities simultaneously, throttle in each hand.

There is simple automation support built into the decoders that allows multiple trains on separate continuous run tracks to be operated manually to good visual effect. Pre-set acceleration and deceleration rates for example: as the loco passes an established fixed marker at line speed, setting the speed to zero and allowing the decoder to perform the pre-set deceleration will bring the train consistently to rest at a desired point - such as a station platform. It is quite possible to set up groups of locos to match each other in this regard: the 17:59 always pulls up in the platform, with any of the twenty machines (from seven loco classes) regularly assigned to this working. 

For a multi-operator layout, ideally every operator has a controller. Conflicting movements are possible, such that route management systems are required unless either: each operator only works an exclusive section of the line; or there is a schedule for each operator defining all moves as non-conflicting with effectively faultless discipline executing it. Yeah, like that's always going to work.

Apart from the first answer from Grovenor, non of the above posts actually answers the simple question being asked.

Due respect for trying to be helpful guys, but it might help to read the question properly before launching of on some ramble or other.

No offence intended of course.  :friends:

Apart from the first answer from Grovenor, non of the above posts actually answers the simple question being asked.

Due respect for trying to be helpful guys, but it might help to read the question properly before launching of on some ramble or other.

No offence intended of course.  :friends:

On the contrary - re- read both the original question and each of the answers, and they do respond, and in their different ways add useful indormation based on the original question (in that Gaugemaster was mentioned as the friend's model).  AND ADVICE was requested. about what is both needed  to control multiple trains, and choices about multiple handsets.

Many thanks Gentleman (and ladies?)

very interesting and useful.  It also highlights how little I know.  My friends layout is basically two loops with passing bays and sidings.  he has had four trains running at one time and operated points to vary routes.  I had a go and found it too hot to handle and no fun.  Two controllers would be far more comfortable.

So the good news reading your comments, is that a second controller can be added.  - thank you

Archived