Lowering the Bachmann Deltic body

• RMweb Gold

I am in the process of lowering Bachmann Deltic 55018 as described in Jon020's thread in 2010.  However it's obvious Bachmann have modified their bogie since then and the size of the 'lip' that is supposed to be removed is now larger.

Here's Jon020's original (I hope he doesn't mind me copying!)

Capture.png

And here is a photo of the current arrangement (sorry for the strange angle)

2015-07-26%2021.37.35.jpg

So has anyone modified one of the later Bachmann models?  If so, advice on how much of the lip to remove would be very welcome.  Does the central pillar also require modification?  Finally, how is the wiring disconnected to allow for the bogie to be completely removed?

Thanks!

Steve

I used to do it the same as Jon, havnt got a new chassis but what i have been done on my latest deltic is when the chassis is stripped down to the block, remove the metal raised rib that the bogie sits on, much easier than filing the bogie tops down. Only pic i have at the mo i posted in how realistic are your models last night. Iv got another one on the go so can take some pics tonight if ut helps?

cheers

James

Edited to attach pic

post-5804-0-25608200-1437979233.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James, that does sound much easier.  The resulting 'bogie to chassis' clearance in your photo is certainly better than straight out of the box.

It also negates my other concern regarding the top of the central pillar possibly needing trimming to fit into the hole through the chassis block.

Steve

no probs Steve, its very easy once the chassis is stripped down, a nice big file does the job in a couple of mins.Having said that all mine are fairly old models i pick up cheap s/h, so not sure if the block has changed if the bogie towers have? Ill postca pic of my latest project tonight, i try get them as low as possible so i think i may have taken a little off the pivot top as well.

Cheers

James

Sorry its a bit late just been playing trains this for the last hour and just got in and the laptop fired up.

Heres my latest Deltic project, was a very tatty nimbus renumbered as 55 006 and patch painted, was a bit of a mess when i bought it at Pontefract show earlier this year, chassis runs very well though has been lowered as described but the bogie tower tops havnt been touched. My earlier Deltic were lowered by the towers and i filed them right down to the screw heads, filing the block is much easier!

post-5804-0-35466500-1438037408.jpg

post-5804-0-64161600-1438037410.jpg

post-5804-0-13012300-1438037413.jpg

post-5804-0-54860200-1438037415.jpg

On the old chassis there aresome black squares on the tabs on the corners of the PCB, these just slide off to reveal the wires which are just pushed through the PCB, very simple to disconect and re connect, thought i had a pic but cant find one, just wondering if they ahve changed it on the newer ones though??

Also pne of my favourite mods to do with a Deltic is drill & carve out the plastic above the tanks, gives a very good impression of depth, a bit fiddly but you can still keep all the filler pipe detail if your careful, was an idea borrowed from Jon020 and really looks the part.

Ill be posting more on this Deltic in my bits & pieces thread if any ones interested.

Cheers

James

• RMweb Gold

Thanks James.  I'm away on holiday at the moment, so modifications will have to wait.

I'll keep an eye on your thread for more hints and tips.

Cheers

Steve

I'd not favour removing the cast in rib on two counts. First that if there are any significant gradient transitions on any layout the model is used on, the change of pitch of the bogie lifts the body visibly, the independent movement in pitch of the bogie having been lost; and it is more awkward to restore to original functional condition as compared to putting a washer on the top of the cut down bogie tower, which can of course be a temporary change to suit the model to running on poorly laid set track when visiting other folk's layouts. Very much the owner's choice.

Is that a revision of the design at the top of the bogie tower, in the 2nd photo of the OP? Not having bought a Bachmann twin bogie type since the introduction of their Brush type 4 of 2007 rounded out my set of early BR diesels, I haven't been looking at this group of their product. Been a little put off from venturing on the revised class 40 following pick up trouble reports, the earlier ones having rock solid mechs, and they look enough like the old lumbering monster to satisfy. Given how well proven a design their centre motor twin bogie drive is, one can only assume that any changes are for production cost down purposes. Even though of all the designs I have seen, theirs looked the most cost effective already - fewest parts, simplest assembly - with on track performance equivalence to the best of the competition.

• 1 year later...

I have just done the mod as described by Jon020 on Mead.  Very easy.  Big improvement.  Thanks Jon.  However, looking at the pictures I have, the body still looks between 1/2 and 1mm high but I don't have a drawing.  Can anyone comment.  Note: it may be that Jessy 1692's comment about lowering the tower down to the top of the screws is to get just that extra bit of lowering.  Would appreciate any comments.  I also have to agree with 34theletterbetweenB&D about removing the cast web.

I have just lowered the body on a new Deltic.  It was not as simple as doing it on the old one because the pivot tower and the pivot pin are different and there appears to be some dimensional differences in the casting between either end.  I cut off the lugs on either side of the tower top and then trimmed/filed down the pivot pin to a uniform thickness although I suppose one could drill out the casting to accommodate the thicker diameter of the lower pivot pin section.  I did this at both ends and assumed that all would be well.  However, upon re-assmbly I found the rear end sat lower than the front and was binding on the body even on my 36" curves.  Long story made short I had to make a 0.015 shim to get the same ride height.  At this point it looks as though the ribs cast into the main casting are different heights and it is these ribs that the top of the tower sit on. Sorry no pictures, did not think of it in time.

Edited to correct for auto fill which knows better than I do what I wanted to say

I have just lowered the body on a new Deltic.  It was not as simple as doing it on the old one because the pivot tower and the pivot pin are different and there appears to be some dimensional differences in the casting between either end.  I cut off the lugs on either side of the tower top and then trimmed/filed down the pivot pin to a uniform thickness although I suppose one could drill out the casting to accommodate the thicker diameter of the lower pivot pin section.  I did this at both ends and assumed that all would be well.  However, upon re-assmbly I found the rear end sat lower than the front and was binding on the body even on my 36" curves.  Long story made short I had to make a 0.015 shim to get the same ride height.  At this point it looks as though the ribs cast into the main casting are different heights and it is these ribs that the top of the tower sit on. Sorry no pictures, did not think of it in time.

Edited to correct for auto fill which knows better than I do what I wanted to say

If you can get a pic or 2 of yours id like to see how far you have lowered it, iv just finished the one with the bogies further up this thread and to me it sits about right but think it could go a little lower:

post-5804-0-50983300-1477261431_thumb.jpg

post-5804-0-37970700-1477261438_thumb.jpg

post-5804-0-81064600-1477261441_thumb.jpg

PS it is the same loco, 2 for the price of 1 using up spare nameplates.

Cheers

James

Jessy

Some pictures.   The "new" refers to the later production weathered model and the "old" refers to the early production pristine model.  Both have been "lowered"  The new one is the one i discussed in Post 9 and the old is the one I talked about in Post 8.  The difference is only 0.5 mm but it is clearly visible.  In the fullness of time I will lower the old one by about 0.5 mm. post-4861-0-49543500-1477433709.jpgpost-4861-0-90589000-1477433720.jpgpost-4861-0-24841400-1477433745.jpg

Perhaps worth bearing in mind here is that on the mainline in Britain buffer centres should be 3ft 6in above rail level ( except IIRC for the LMS which was one quarter inch lower). In 4mm scale this works out to a 14mm height above the rail. Once you start measuring RTR stock out of the box its surprising how much error there is in this dimension!

Some consistency is obviously needed across rolling stock, as the buffers should more or less be in line, and if you use scale couplings this can be a serious issue for locking, as well as looking odd.

I wonder on the Deltics above how this distance works out?

John.

Jessy

Some pictures. The "new" refers to the later production weathered model and the "old" refers to the early production pristine model. Both have been "lowered" The new one is the one i discussed in Post 9 and the old is the one I talked about in Post 8. The difference is only 0.5 mm but it is clearly visible. In the fullness of time I will lower the old one by about 0.5 mm. Deltic comparison.jpg %22New Deltic%22.jpg %22Old Deltic%22.jpg

Thanks Theaker, that .5mm certainly shows on the new one, never measured the buffer heights on mine, i just go by if it looks ok and still goes round corners itll be fine. Currently on with repainting a Heljan dp2 so will be comparing the Bachmann deltic (lowered) with the Heljan ride height.

Cheers

James

Archived