Yellow stripe locomotives

souwest

Hi,

We have all seen the photos of locomotives with a  yellow stripe on their cabs showing there were not permitted south of Crewe during the WCML electrification in the early 1960s.

I think Duchess, Princess, Royal Scot and Jubilees carried them, but I don't recall any 8Fs , WDs or 9Fs appearing in photos - can anyone advise why, and or are there any classes to be added?

Thank you all in advance.

Hi,

We have all seen the photos of locomotives with a  yellow stripe on their cabs showing there were not permitted south of Crewe during the WCML electrification in the early 1960s.

I think Duchess, Princess, Royal Scot and Jubilees carried them, but I don't recall any 8Fs , WDs or 9Fs appearing in photos - can anyone advise why, and or are there any classes to be added?

Thank you all in advance.

The yellow stripe only applied to classes to tall to work under the wires.  8F's weren't banned but one or two got the yellow stripe anyway.

The oddball classes that acquired yellow stripes include a couple of A4s (60027 Merlin and 60031 Golden Plover) and some A2/3s allocated to LM depot Polmadie including 60522 Straight Deal.

The ban came into effect on 1/9/1964 and most had the stripe applied in the 2 weeks before the ban came into effect. Some locos were prepared for the stripe but were withdrawn before the stripe was applied. One of Annesleys Re built Scots was seen with the cab side cleaned ready for the stripe but was withdrawn before it was applied.

David

The oddball classes that acquired yellow stripes include a couple of A4s (60027 Merlin and 60031 Golden Plover) and some A2/3s allocated to LM depot Polmadie including 60522 Straight Deal.

The ban came into effect on 1/9/1964 and most had the stripe applied in the 2 weeks before the ban came into effect. Some locos were prepared for the stripe but were withdrawn before the stripe was applied. One of Annesleys Re built Scots was seen with the cab side cleaned ready for the stripe but was withdrawn before it was applied.

David

Annesley's rebuilt Jubilee, 45735 had the stripe applied, as did one of Colwick's WDs, 90466, which had been 'westernised' at some time. There's a photo in the Hooper book about them, it's coming up to Bagthorpe Junction from the rat hole with Stanlow-Colwick tanks.

The yellow stripe was ordered to be applied to all 4Fs even though some were below the height limit as there was some confusion as to which ones were and which ones weren't.

The Jubilee Class bore the Yellow Stripe but can anyone explain their continued use south of Crewe. In a Jim Clemens film, there is a sequence with 45577 Bengal with stripe on cabside coming off Stafford shed and being attached to a Stafford - Wellington service. Thence it departs under the wires from Stafford station. Jubilees were a common sight on this line during their final years. Not a clear shot but shows loco & overhead.post-12042-0-79849200-1438621459.png

Add Super Ds to the list. I think the last three numbered 8Fs were entitled to the yellow stripe as they had larger top feed covers than the rest as they had been returned from the WD in the late 50s. One 8F was given the stripes but it was the wrong one!

The Jubilee Class bore the Yellow Stripe but can anyone explain their continued use south of Crewe. In a Jim Clemens film, there is a sequence with 45577 Bengal with stripe on cabside coming off Stafford shed and being attached to a Stafford - Wellington service. Thence it departs under the wires from Stafford station. Jubilees were a common site on this line during their final years. Not a clear shot but shows loco & overhead.attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-08-03 at 18.03.10.png

AFAIK the clearance limitations started south of Stafford. There was plenty of activity between Crewe and Stafford while that section was live. I have pictures of Jubes and leccies at Stafford in 1963. It was when the wires south of Stafford were energised that the ban came in. I presume Crewe was just a more convenient place to change engines as the sheds there were bigger and better stocked than Stafford.

Add Super Ds to the list. I think the last three numbered 8Fs were entitled to the yellow stripe as they had larger top feed covers than the rest as they had been returned from the WD in the late 50s. One 8F was given the stripes but it was the wrong one!

Not exactly. The stripe was justified when 8773 received it, but should have been painted out when the loco received a replacement boiler with standard top feed in 1966, but wasn't. The strange thing is that 8774/75 didn't get the stripe, although they retained the WD top feed to the end.

Archived