Deadwater Burn EM

torkardlane

• RMweb Gold
I have a baseboard ( 4' X 2') from an abandoned layout that I have cut in half and will use at each end. The cassettes Russ gave me are being worked on and hopefully will be used and added to. When they are done I may even brave exhibiting it if anybody wants to see it.

... sounds like it ought to work - I'd give consideration to cutting down the cassettes to all 2'6 length (some of them are 3 ft.) the 2'6 was much easier to handle and not really lacking in length for the types of trains.

Wish lists seem popular so heres mine for future additions.

Heljan class 17 green yellow ends

Bachmann class 105 green yellow ends

Silver Fox class 128 or 129 erm green yellow ends

Plus loads of wagons rtr and kit built.

the layout was built for the Clayton - It was just being announced as I started it! - circumstances saw to it that I never actually acquired one! ideal for the layout though.

- the units well I'm not sure where a cravens could come from not sure if there were any on Tyneside, there are pics in some of the books of what were to become 101s and 108s and of course using the plan I originally had for explaining existence Carlisle 108's and early lightweights as used on the Cumbrian coast could have got there.

Thats about it- cost versus hassle, my idea was buy wagons cheap then prat about with them, you could always enquire of Martin Wales too as he is a wagon building prodigy and as far as I know has only a few small-ish layouts to run them on- there is often a chance of a 'cast-off'- indeed I would say at least two-thirds of the rolling stock other than loco's you would see on the original Deadwater was bought or borrowed from Mr Wales!!

I'm sure that the MW Bespoke Wagon Building Service can oblige (the latest layout though-Kinmundy-is a 16' long behemoth!)

I thought Newcastle had 105's on the Glasgow run Russ, but will check again if not may get a 108 or maybe the new derby lightweight when backmann brings it out.

Got to check how to EM them first any ideas who may have done them yet?

Thanks for the offer Martin I may take you up on the offer some time, but I must admit these first 3 wagons I've built have got me hooked.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

" thought Newcastle had 105's on the Glasgow run Russ, but will check again if not may get a 108 or maybe the new derby lightweight when backmann brings it out.

Got to check how to EM them first any ideas who may have done them yet?"

there were certainly 105's in Newcastle in the 80's but think they may have been cascaded from E.Anglia or somewhere, the Scottish units more likely to be 120 or 126 they have similar front end to 105, there is a DC kit for the 120 at least. you couldnt go wrong with the 108, lightweight or a met-camm?

• 5 months later...

Well six months without a job sucked but I'am now back employed thank goodness. I was in two minds to sell Deadwater in the dark days of unemployment but glad I didn't, money is still tight but I will be getting on with the fiddle yards at both ends.

Due to changes in the location I keep the layout I have less room to use now, approx 20" each side so will have to be very creative in train lengths. I have worked out though a type 25 with 2/3 wagons will work but not too unprototypical for the area and when funds dictate a single car DMU and light engine movements.

But the main aim is to be able to "play " with it again, something I have not been able to do for a long time :O oo err just re read that but you know what I mean. Hopefully I can get some updated pics on when things progress further.

Well six months without a job sucked but I'am now back employed thank goodness. I was in two minds to sell Deadwater in the dark days of unemployment but glad I didn't, money is still tight but I will be getting on with the fiddle yards at both ends.

Due to changes in the location I keep the layout I have less room to use now, approx 20" each side so will have to be very creative in train lengths. I have worked out though a type 25 with 2/3 wagons will work but not too unprototypical for the area and when funds dictate a single car DMU and light engine movements.

But the main aim is to be able to "play " with it again, something I have not been able to do for a long time :O oo err just re read that but you know what I mean. Hopefully I can get some updated pics on when things progress further.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for PM, glad you are back in employment, must've been a nightmare for you.

The beauty of a small layout is that it doesn't really require a huge outlay in stock, leave it freight only for now and bring back a passenger service when funds permit?

-slowly persevering with the 2mm stuff but feeling like another min.space em layout too!

• 5 years later...

Archived