Deadwater Burn EM

torkardlane

Been a long time since an update. Been trying to get the original backscene printed but going round in circles, so to kickstart the restoration i've gone and bought the Id scenes one. Looks like the borders so hope i'll get away with it.

Basically reverted back to making the layout "square" so its easier to transport if ever I exhibit it and also extend it like Russ was going to do originally.

I can now get on with the scenic side and hopefully have some more updates soon.

Tom

post-6689-12746320311_thumb.jpg

post-6689-127463205042_thumb.jpg

Only just discovered this - having been involved (by t'internet suggestions let me say, rather than yer actual "get yer 'ands dirty") with this, it is great to see it back. The ID backscene works remarkably well in place of the original, and I'm really looking forward to see how you get on with it. I'm pleased to see it didn't go to the tip, because of the move.

Thanks Jack & Jamie, I did think it was a good representation. I'am dissapointed that I could not get the original reprinted but its held me back working on it hopefully now I will get more work done.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

back on line in sunny Scotland! B) - and settled in now.

the original backscene was pre - those ones coming out- had they been available I'd probably have used them- it makes it it look more general, but thats not always a bad thing when taking liberties with a lines history! ;)

back on line in sunny Scotland! B) - and settled in now.

the original backscene was pre - those ones coming out- had they been available I'd probably have used them- it makes it it look more general, but thats not always a bad thing when taking liberties with a lines history! ;)

Looks fine- it really is a versatile piece of work, and seems to fit in wherever it springs up. Torrington used it on his layout, and I have for lack of anything else put it behind mine, so that covers nearly the length of Britain.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Looks fine- it really is a versatile piece of work, and seems to fit in wherever it springs up. Torrington used it on his layout, and I have for lack of anything else put it behind mine, so that covers nearly the length of Britain.

Richard

Absolutely right Richard - this backscene adds value to all three models. That is not to say they would be less without it, but the background is a kind of "given" that settles the online viewer into ignoring it, and concentrating on the modelling itself, which is what you all (including Russ!) put your efforts, heart and soul into. Putting your model into a plausible landscape really elevates your impact - good choice!

• 3 weeks later...

Received my order of etched windows from Brassmasters recently and I have been able to trim them to fit in the old station and remove the old bits.

Now that I have done this, I will now fit the old part of the layout into the backscene frame.

post-6689-127704493141.jpg post-6689-127704493441.jpg

post-6689-12770449424_thumb.jpg

Also added a bit of ivy on the corner of the building.

Next up is fitting new track on the left hand side.

• RMweb Gold
Received my order of etched windows from Brassmasters recently and I have been able to trim them to fit in the old station and remove the old bits.

Now that I have done this, I will now fit the old part of the layout into the backscene frame.

Looks all the better for it! wish I had been aware of the existance of these when I started the building,

The backscene now looks very effective, somehow like the railway is high up on an embankment with scenery behind, not quite orignal Deadwater but looks very nice all the same and certainly not out of place for the area.

Telegraph poles as per 'pm' I had originally thought they had 2 arms each side of the post, but this view

subrit disused stations sitewould suggest 3, again its a pic I didnt have access to on the original.

I'm pleased to see it didn't go to the tip, because of the move.
Indeed there wouldnt have been room for it here, at least in the short term! and its nice to see refurbishment and improvement of the original, long may it continue!

The windows look much better in the flesh compared to my photo, they come oversize for what i needed but a little trim allround and they look very good.

Thanks again Russ for the info, seen some great looking t/poles made by express models on their website may have to get some for the layout now i know the number of bars fitted.

Now to lay some more track down on the left end of the layout and sort out the electrics so i can run some trains.

Tom

• 2 months later...

WOO HOO progress at long last.

Managed over the weekend to rewire the layout and install a Tortoise and Hare, simple you may think but this is me the most useless with electrics.

Read up the instructions for the Tortoise and Hare and thought I can handle that. What can be difficult about three wires. Well I started off great, fitting everything and soldering all the joints(no burnt fingers must be improvingbiggrin.gif )

Time for testing,so I powered up my NCE Power cab and tried a loco. Up and down the siding no probs but on the straight after the turnout it stopped.????Got me test meter out and was touching wires here there and everywhere. Eventually I realised there was a short on that section but where, checked the wiring that was ok. While leaning over the layout waiting for the answer to jump out at me, I ran my eyes over the length of track.At the fiddle yard end was my shiny new pcb sleeper I had fitted earlier in the week and yes I had made the noob mistake of not making a break in the copper.rolleyes.gif

Anyway when I had sorted that everything has ran great, changing the points with the power cab seems odd at the mo but I suppose I'll get used to it.

Felt so chuffed after solving my problem that I forgot to take some pics, so next time I update hopefully will have taken some.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Over the last week I've been playing with paper mache and starting on the scenery at the front where I have extended the layout.

First built up the land and painted it an earthy brown. Then glued down hanging basket liner for the grass base also added more filler to make up the hardstanding area. Next when I get chance I will strip back to the lineside the old stuff and use new to cover the whole area, think that will look better than trying to match up old and new scenics.

Removed fencing and will replace with longer pieces to front edge. May even try scratch building with some matchsticks and balsa, probably post pics of both to see what your opions are.

On the flat area next to the new filler I was thinking of putting the Wills goods stoe(ss63) to give a reason for the siding still being used but not def made my mind up yet.

post-6689-011982700 1284573438_thumb.jpgpost-6689-041251300 1284573446_thumb.jpg

post-6689-004549100 1284573442_thumb.jpgpost-6689-015281200 1284573450_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not had any chance to work on the layout this week. So been doing some research and need some help on stock regognition.

Pic below from Disused Stations website and copyright to Alan Brown.

What is the loco type and carrages? Steam is not my thing but just in case for research purposes.

post-6689-031285600 1286047171_thumb.jpg

Cheers Tom

I think: ex LNER K1*, and similarly ex LNER stock, couldn't tell you what type, but look steel sided to me, probably corridor stock? Hopefully someone that knows more about things LNER will drop by soon to confirm/deny/fill in the gaps.

* K_ denotes 2-6-0 wheel arrangement, and it looks quite like the K1 pics on the Border Counties Line pages of the Robotham book.

Guest Max Stafford

Correct. It's one of Blaydon's K1s, probably on a Hexham to Hawick service. The coaches are Thompson all steel corridor stock and appear to be two brake thirds and a compo.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold
What is the loco type and carrages? Steam is not my thing but just in case for research purposes.

as the loco& coaches have been identified, I'll just say the layout was originally planned as being able to offer the 'true' steam era, as well as the whimsical early diesels.

There are types available RTR that covered the line, but many are old models split frame chassis difficult to convert. B1, J39's and V3 tanks being the obvious contenders, you could certainly get away with BR Standard 4's and Black Fives, there are certainly pics of the 4's in the books and the black 5's on the Waverley.

likewise the THompson coaches are available but with the same caveats they are certainly not up there with the Mk1s on appearance!

the (ex)LNER generally and particular the NON GER/East Coast Mainline, constituents have a pretty hard time, early NER/NBR and GNSR are particulalrly poorly addressed!

I've recently picked up a J72 and a V3 fairly cheaply 2nd hand and going to have a look at them, I think they could both be conceivably numbered as Hexham engines the LNER encyclopedia siteis useful here, they are def. both split framers, so if I do anything with them it'll prob be in OO!

There is an interesting branch up Allandale too, which had turntable release and used J94's! - you can tell how small my new modelling space is!! :D

If when I have finished and I think its up to exhibition standard? I may well get some alternative traction to make it more interesting. With it being dcc I may stick to new rtr for simplicity. I think as I'am getting older(lol) steam is becoming a bit more interesting , I'dont know why I was born when it was ending! The black 5's do look nice and to have different locos to show would make exhibiting better.

Thanks Russ, I'am trying to come to terms with the sad loss of my Dad but it is hard even more so than I expected. That he loved visiting Scotland for holidays makes it hard to work on the layout at the moment with it based on the borders. But when I feel up to it I will get on with some more and post some updates.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've been a bit busy on the scenic front, managed this week to get quite a bit (for me) done pics below.

Replanted the hillside with new fir trees.

post-6689-075125700 1288365935_thumb.jpg

Front of layout now has its heather bushes and static grass in places.

post-6689-063336100 1288366130_thumb.jpg

Silver birches planted side of station.

post-6689-038352400 1288366222_thumb.jpg

Close up of the heather.

post-6689-012245700 1288366582_thumb.jpg

Last one because I like it.

post-6689-063426500 1288366628_thumb.jpg

Just the left side to finish off and then its fiddle time. Can't decide on wether to use separate cassettes or three or four lines on drawer runners.

Tom

Looking good, Tom. If you're interested the vast majority of coniferous woodland in the area is sitka spruce, with some norway mixed in (though there are of course plenty of other species too).

Will be nice to see trains running on this one again :)

Thanks Ragtag as it happens the "firs" on the righthand side say spruce on the box but it was more because I liked the look of them than.

As for running got a couple of 25's from Russ that I've played with when I rewired it for dcc. But without a fiddle yard can't do too much playing.

Tom

• RMweb Premium

Nice. Especially like the lighting - really adds mood.

Gorgeous, glad to see this layout having a new lease of life. How was that lighting acheived? is it daylight from a window?

Cheers,

Dave.T

Archived