Deadwater Burn EM

torkardlane

• RMweb Gold

The natural lighting is so good for a layout, it seems - Ben Alder's Kylesku similarly lit has the same quality. I feel you have achieved a remarkable harmony between your lush and detailed foreground and the backscene - which takes some doing. Well done!

Thanks Ian my secret is do a little bit at a time even when everything is going good, because I find if I do too much the results are not as good and I spoil something.

As an extra thought can anyone tell me where to get some Highland cattle from, Harburn Hobbies look good and I think Langley do some but need painting. Is there anywhere else

Cheers Tom

• RMweb Gold
As for running got a couple of 25's from Russ that I've played with when I rewired it for dcc. But without a fiddle yard can't do too much playing

well i hope you've got them running ok the brain was starting to fry a bit with all the moving hassles and which wheelsets were EM and which were OO etc.

the new conifers look nice, the first ones were N gauge bog brush types dipped in 'extra flock' as movement occured the extra flock fell off! :D

I'm glad your feeling upto playing with it again in any case! - assuming the heather is as was I think you might need to adjust the white/balance on the camera? - unless it has reacted badly to being taken down south ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whoops only tried the BR blue at the mo :rolleyes: excuse to go back to play now and check the green un.

Yeah well chuffed :D with them, they are Bachmann Scene Scapes spruce trees and look really good on the layout. Reused a couple of your trees at the back to add a bit of variety

The colors are about right, when I extended the ends out to square off the layout I tried blending in your scenics with my new but it was to big a difference. So basically I had to remove all the scenery from the trackside forward and use new. The new heather came on a mesh? sheet and I just rubbed it off over the bushes with some hairspray to hold it down. Same with the track tried mixing up different paint to match but failed again and had to spray the whole lot but still looks good I think?

Started on the lefthand side at the weekend and used some different trees but not quite totally happy with them though. Light and weather was not good so no pics at the mo but will post when I can.

As an extra thought can anyone tell me where to get some Highland cattle from, Harburn Hobbies look good and I think Langley do some but need painting. Is there anywhere else?

Tom

• RMweb Gold
The colors are about right, when I extended the ends out to square off the layout I tried blending in your scenics with my new but it was to big a difference. So basically I had to remove all the scenery from the trackside forward and use new. The new heather came on a mesh? sheet and I just rubbed it off over the bushes with some hairspray to hold it down.

Yeah I thought that might happen without a 'specification' there are so many different colours and brands of scenics!

- the original stuff was 'el cheapo' where it didnt matter and woodland scenics where it did but think even woodland scenics has been surpassed these days? - whats this heather on a mesh then? it look a wee bit purple compared to the old - might just be the light though.

Looking good though! :)

As an extra thought can anyone tell me where to get some Highland cattle from, Harburn Hobbies look good and I think Langley do some but need painting. Is there anywhere else?

Tom

I think that's your lot- the Langley ones are better to my eyes, and judging by the lack of any good models of British cattle elsewhere, I think the Highland variety is quite well served. ( Climbs down from another soapbox :rolleyes: )

Richard

The heather Russ is woodland scenics flowering foliage lavender f177. It is very purple but comes on a mesh bit like a brillo pad. I just rubbed it till the purple bits fell off. I'am part happy( up on moors in peak district was quite pupleish this year) but like you said very purple may add some dark pink? if ever I come across it. If you know of any please tell.

Too late Ben I ordered the Harburn ones:rolleyes: They're going in the field at the back, hopefully they won't look too bad.

Tom

• RMweb Gold

oddly enough we saw plenty of highland cattle in the borders generally and specifically in the Kielder area, tho they seemed quite popular in west yorks too amongst some farmers. Now many of the cattle we see in the highlands are french breeds (charolais seem particularly popular) so its a funny old world.

The heather sounds practical, the shades do vary from region to region and even locally. The original heather was woodland scenics coarse foliage with some cheapo Jarvis died sawdust sprinkled on think it was titled moorland mixture or something, the stuff doesnt look good used on field size areas, but a sprinkling was good on top of better quality stuff, and could be added to the purple maybe, tho' its not so 'out' that you would loose sleep!

The fact that I have just confirmed the set of class 25 wheels down the back of the breadbin are indeed OO suggests that the green 25 def. has the EM one in :D :lol:

oddly enough we saw plenty of highland cattle in the borders generally and specifically in the Kielder area, tho they seemed quite popular in west yorks too amongst some farmers. Now many of the cattle we see in the highlands are french breeds (charolais seem particularly popular) so its a funny old world.

The harburn cattle cattle will go in the old goat field, goats have moved to new pasture in the station trees with new gate next to hut to stop them escaping.

The heather sounds practical, the shades do vary from region to region and even locally. The original heather was woodland scenics coarse foliage with some cheapo Jarvis died sawdust sprinkled on think it was titled moorland mixture or something, the stuff doesnt look good used on field size areas, but a sprinkling was good on top of better quality stuff, and could be added to the purple maybe, tho' its not so 'out' that you would loose sleep!

Will look out for some to just tone the purple down a bit. Just found some "flowering field" flock may experiment off layout.

The fact that I have just confirmed the set of class 25 wheels down the back of the breadbin are indeed OO suggests that the green 25 def. has the EM one in :D :lol:

Nice one still not checked myself :rolleyes: .

• 2 weeks later...

Ssssshh, be very quite and you may see the deer in the forest.

post-6689-043157400 1289754046_thumb.jpgpost-6689-027642600 1289754048_thumb.jpg

The farmer has allowed the sheep back in the field.

post-6689-004596000 1289754051_thumb.jpgpost-6689-077891200 1289754053_thumb.jpg

Highland cattle have taken over the old goat field.

post-6689-052454900 1289754056_thumb.jpg

And pushed them into the small field on the other side of the station.

post-6689-012513800 1289754064_thumb.jpgpost-6689-052496100 1289754066_thumb.jpg

Finally left side of layout almost finished, a store shed will go on the brown section when complete.

post-6689-009433100 1289754059_thumb.jpg

post-6689-063266000 1289754061_thumb.jpg

post-6689-058314000 1289754068_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Just read the PM, cheers for keeping me updated! B)

Its really nice to see it looking in 'good order' again !

-all the better for having the ends widened I think, they were the original shape to allow more fiddleyard space in the challenge, but the yard end in particular did get a little cramped. Dont think the shed will look out of place.

goats have moved to new pasture in the station trees with new gate next to hut to stop them escaping

that will look in some ways 'better' than the real thing, there seemed to be no gate on that bit in any of the real pics and at the time was still trying to stay faithful to the original, some chickens as well wandering about maybe?

although some people like going for modelling a real place, I think the beauty of modelling is you can base something on a certain place then add a bit of your own influence, long may it continue! :)

• 2 months later...

Been too long since last update but at last some progress.

In the sidings the old goods shed has at last appeared, for various reasons its taken over two months to make.

But here it is in all its glory, though I never have been a great painter of models I gave this my best shot and weathered it as well. I'am quite pleased with the result and hopefully with more experience I'll get better at this weathering malarkey.

post-6689-0-89643300-1295809495_thumb.jpg

post-6689-0-10873700-1295809504_thumb.jpg

Not a lot left on the scenic side of things to do now, refill the burn and just little extra details here and there. Converting some Bachmann vans to EM and adding sprat and winkle couplings next so more updates will follow.

p.s Russ, I've always wanted some chickens at the bottom of the garden but the missus wouldn't let me. So maybe I can have some now biggrin.gif Watch this space.

• RMweb Gold

I dont think you'd go much wrong with BR standard types as in the pic. if you looking at pre-nationalisation stuff into diesel era it would probably be minerals such as the higher capacity hoppers and 21 tonners, I was thinking of some of these when was going to do the quarry extension, but there was also a mine at Plashetts (think it shut in the 30's tho- modellers licence! ;) )

- goods shed fits in nicely, found the borders books now (still unpacking! :( ) & it does resemble of some of the timber framed buildings on other part of the lane, and also of those at the minor stations on the Rothbury line.

Agreed, the stone base helps it too, while the timber structure looks suitably 'cheap' for a backwater like here. :good_mini:

Good luck with the rolling stock, though you shouldn't have any bother. Trying to think... I think it's easier if you replace the wheels, but a few of mine are still running on the originals respaced. Might be cheaper reusing the originals but I seem to recall it needs more butchery of plastic (not so pretty).

Russ will be able to advise as to types better, been a while since I looked at any Border Counties prototype info. I'd have thought much of yer typical general vans, opens, would be OK though.

• RMweb Gold
been a while since I looked at any Border Counties prototype info
:lol: ha mines all been in boxes since Oct 2009!! just re-reading the seminal works (railway modeller 1976, Ian Futers) - the northumbrian railways website seems to be playing up a bit at the moment?
Good luck with the rolling stock, though you shouldn't have any bother. Trying to think... I think it's easier if you replace the wheels, but a few of mine are still running on the originals respaced. Might be cheaper reusing the originals but I seem to recall it needs more butchery of plastic (not so pretty).
Thats about it- cost versus hassle, my idea was buy wagons cheap then prat about with them, you could always enquire of Martin Wales too as he is a wagon building prodigy and as far as I know has only a few small-ish layouts to run them on- there is often a chance of a 'cast-off'- indeed I would say at least two-thirds of the rolling stock other than loco's you would see on the original Deadwater was bought or borrowed from Mr Wales!!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Well I am on a bit of a role at the moment and have had a go at my first Parkside kit.

If you had read my earlier thread Tale of a Parkside Virgin you will realise I have not built any kit before, and below is a first pic of it. I'am very pleased so far, it went together very well and I've painted the first coat on. Next up now that it looks good enough is to get some transfers and maybe better buffers than those supplied.

Pc 50 LNER cattle wagon.

post-6689-0-94230000-1295982588_thumb.jpg

ps Sorry Ragtag the only scenic stuff I've got with no bag is the earth, if I find it I'll pm you.

• 1 month later...

Well time for the first train to run, over the last few months I have been building three Parkside wagons and fitting them with Sprat & Winkle couplings.

If you read my thread Tales of a Parkside virgin you will know these are my first kits built so please be gentle on comments laugh.gif.

The couplings have taken a bit of getting used to and still need some adjusting but I'am getting there. The lure of running my first train though, could not be resisted.

post-6689-0-41576500-1299782983_thumb.jpg

post-6689-0-86731000-1299783005_thumb.jpg

post-6689-0-85919300-1299782996_thumb.jpg

post-6689-0-32863100-1299782989_thumb.jpg

Sorry guys but feel so chuffed to have something movingbiggrin.gif at last.

Congratulations, once things start moving it'll all seem to come together.

The couplings have taken a bit of getting used to and still need some adjusting but I'am getting there.

You already look to have made a better job of fitting the couplings to your stock than me.

• RMweb Gold

that particular 25 is a beaut- I'm glad it is still with the layout it came a bit too late for me to get alot of use!

-all the stuff is looking good now and I am so glad to see not only the scenic refurb has gone nicely- but also the fact that things are actually moving about again.

I've moved on my own pics that come out when I post, as I think the fog on the (north) tyne is all... yours :lol:

-very happy to see the thing going on... rather than going on the tip! :)

Thanks Jamie and Russ,

The sprats Jamie have been a steep learning curve and some will need removing, to position better because I'am learning as I go along . Notice there's no close ups tongue.gif.

Getting the wiring right took a lot of head scratching Russ, not being electrically minded. But eventually I found that one of the track joints was not touching sometimes ( whilst rebuilding, the track had flexed and I had broke the connection that was not visiblerolleyes.gif). Little bit of solder and job done. Next up is the fiddle yards, I have a baseboard ( 4' X 2') from an abandoned layout that I have cut in half and will use at each end. The cassettes Russ gave me are being worked on and hopefully will be used and added to. When they are done I may even brave exhibiting it if anybody wants to see it.

Wish lists seem popular cool.gif so heres mine for future additions.

Heljan class 17 green yellow ends

Bachmann class 105 green yellow ends

Silver Fox class 128 or 129 erm green yellow ends

Plus loads of wagons rtr and kit built.

If you are going to have some "semi-feral" chickens - a fox, sneaking along the edge of a hedge/fence looking for supper, might be good - I seem to remember ther is another layout that has appeared on here with a similar cameo. If he is semi-hidden in some long grass it would catch the eye without being too obvious . Having been a follower from "back in the day", I'm pleased to see that the layout is still getting love and attention

Archived