Clackmannan Goods

Waveydavey

Some of you may remember my layout Longcarse West that featured in these pages and was exhibited between 2008 and 2011. After retirement it was sold on twice and is now in the safe hands of Simon and Terry Bendall who plan to revive it and return it to the exhibition circuit.

Although Longcarse West worked well and attracted a lot of positive comments I felt that the planning stage had been rather haphazard and that certain things could have been done better. In short, a good first attempt but could do better. I did feel however that the concept was good and that it could be further developed and improved. Moving house got in the way for a couple of years and a lot of time was spent developing and refining a Templot plan. One of the side benefits of moving was that a bit more space became available in my allocated model railway room so the scenic area increased from 7' to 9'6" allowing bigger points to be used (A7 minimum instead of A6) and a couple of extra sidings to be added. As the thread title says the new layout is more of an evolution of the first rather than starting with a new idea.

Good quality 9mm birch ply was bought last summer and the boards completed during the autumn. Since Christmas I've laid the Templot plan onto the boards, laid the individual sleepers, and worked on laying the track. At the moment I'm working on the electrical side making sure every rail has a feed and keeping my fingers crossed that MERG get some of their Servo4 servo driver kits in stock soon so that I can install the servos I plan to use to operate the points.

Below is a photo of progress on one of the boards. If you know Longcarse West this will look fairly familiar to you as the left hand arrival board where trains arrive from the Stirling direction.

Cheers

David

post-7228-0-96547500-1438073151_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waveydavey
  • Like 5

Haven't actually mounted the servos yet. I've got the MERG 3d printed mounts and micro switches so the under board side of things is all ready to go. Above board I'm using Masokits functional tiebars. The big issue I've still to resolve is how to reliably connect the rod or wire from the servo to the tiebar. It'll be under the boarding for the point lever to keep it out of sight but this also means it'll be inaccessible so needs to be fairly robust. I have some Ambis PALM units so they might offer a solution when I get around to looking at them.

post-7228-0-41724600-1438157571_thumb.jpg

Another photo. Here you can see the full scenic area from the dock end of the layout. Trains will arrive from the Stirling (far) end and be shunted into any of the eight sidings. On the far left is the coal depot and two storage sidings. On the far right are two storage sidings with a disused crossover. Lastly on the near right are the two public delivery sidings and a further storage road. Very similar to Longcarse West version one but subtly rearranged and expanded.

As before the layout is set in Alloa in 1975 and will be freight only. For those of you who know the area a little bit of explanation may be in order. The layout is fictional but is assumed to be in the area of the Caledonian Railways goods yard in Alloa which was accessed from Longcarse Junction on the Alloa to Larbert line just north of the 'other' Forth rail crossing. To generate the traffic required I've manipulated both history and geography. Firstly I've assumed that Alloa New Yard was never built so that molasses and CO2 traffic for Menstrie and Cambus must pass through my yard. Secondly the MOD depot at Bandeath has been moved over onto the north bank of the Forth. Along with the usual traffics for the area of grain, coal and sundries the yard is going to be very busy indeed.

This mornings job is to get the rail joints across the two main scenic boards soldered to the C&L edge connectors and lined up as smoothly as possible. Once this is done I'll move onto making up the Masokits functional tiebars and trying to fathom out the Ambis ones I've got that I want to use on the disused crossover on the two storage roads.

Cheers

David

Edited by Waveydavey
  • Like 3

post-7228-0-83369900-1438254545_thumb.jpg

All sorted out now. Due to being very short on spare Exactoscale chairs I've had to use 4 bolt chairs on this panel with a few C&L 3 bolt chairs. The sleepers with the 3 bolt chairs will be painted to represent newish replacements for rotten old ones.

• Like 5

• 2 years later...

After far too long moving at a glacial pace things are starting to move forward due to receiving an invite to an exhibition next year.

I wasn’t very happy with the MERG servo mounts and controllers so these have now been replaced with the excellent Megapoints controllers and their recommended U section aluminium section mounts. Cassettes have been made for the fiddle yard, a back scene has been fitted and I’ve started work on an over bridge for the Stirling end of the layout that will represent an abandoned wagonway from the Earl of Marr’s mines.

I’ve also come up with a name for the layout. With Terry and Simon Bendall having Longcarse West back on the circuit I couldn’t really use Longcarse West 2 or anything similar as a name to avoid confusion so I’ve decided on Clackmannan Goods as a suitable moniker.

Photos to follow when there is something worthwhile to show.

Edited by Waveydavey
  • Like 3

After far too long moving at a glacial pace things are starting to move forward due to receiving an invite to an exhibition next year.

I wasn’t very happy with the MERG servo mounts and controllers so these have now been replaced with the excellent Megapoints controllers and their recommended U section aluminium section mounts. Cassettes have been made for the fiddle yard, a back scene has been fitted and I’ve started work on an over bridge for the Stirling end of the layout that will represent an abandoned wagonway from the Earl of Mars mines.

I’ve also come up with a name for the layout. With Terry and Simon Bendall having Longcarse West back on the circuit I couldn’t really use Longcarse West 2 or anything similar as a name to avoid confusion so I’ve decided on Clackmannan Goods as a suitable moniker.

Photos to follow when there is something worthwhile to show.

Lodging in Scotland must be getting those creative juices flowing. Can't be the beer...

Mike

• 5 months later...

Clackmannan Goods finally broke cover last weekend and appeared at Scalefour North in Wakefield.

I was lucky enough to be off in the week running up to the exhibition so managed to get the layout up to exhibitable standard with not a moment to spare. Amongst a great many other tasks Tuesday was spent fettling the cassettes for the fiddle yard, Wednesday was final scenics and static grassing leaving Thursday for a final tidy up and testing session before packing away. Friday morning was reserved for checking back to backs and wheel cleaning on the stock.

Had a couple of niggles over the weekend but nothing too serious. We found a point blade that didn’t have a feed to it, a servo that needed a small adjustment to make sure the micro switch went over and a couple of the points seemed to be a bit ‘sticky’ and could cause derailments if not checked by the operator. The first two were easily sorted and the last will be investigated over the next couple of weeks. Overall though a quite successful weekend.

Big thanks to James Dickie (Wizard of the Moor) for the invite and loan of some stock, my operating team Alan, Simon and Bertie and finally to Phil Sutton for the loan of one of his 24s.

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer Guy. Despite deciding to only do one exhibition a year I find myself after the weekend with two bookings for 2019. How does 2020 sound? I’ve already told another exhibition manager that he’ll have to wait till 2021.

Edited by Waveydavey
  • Like 1

Thanks for the offer Guy. Despite deciding to only do one exhibition a year I find myself after the weekend with two bookings for 2019. How does 2020 sound? I’ve already told another exhibition manager that he’ll have to wait till 2021.

Done! :D

• Waveydavey changed the title to Clackmannan Goods

After a long break it was great to get Clackmannan Goods back out on the road at Model Rail Scotland last month. Really good catching up with old friends and making some new ones.

20220227_111549.jpg.c168b02ba7f67064bed7a259340854fc.jpg

The layout and stock mainly behaved very well after their long rest but we did find some derailments happening on a couple of sets of points that previously haven't been an issue. I'll have a good look at them before our next outing.

20220227_104433.jpg.32cd5c42bb3767fb8d2ac93204701bf0.jpg

20220227_104400.jpg.50400596d51bd17c0fab66a35100aaed.jpg

Edited by Waveydavey
Reinstating photos
  • Like 5

Two new wagons for Glasgow were these ferry tanks based around the old 1980s Lima HOish tank. New buffers, bogies and ferry fittings and a little work on the sun shields and a first attempt at printing my own decals for the ALGECO logos. Not based on any particular prototype so a bit naughty for P4  Much more 'in the style of' type of thing. A bit of a change from 4 wheeled vans and opens for a bit of visual interest on the layout.

20220220_112314.jpg.07ab4c7186b51aac55312fdae43d642e.jpg

Although Clackmannan Goods is freight only I do like NPCCS so some turns up occasionally and gets shunted onto the back road. The SPV on the left was new for Glasgow and is the Parkside kit having been half built for probably 15 years. No springing or compensation fitted but it stayed on the track without issue all weekend.

20220225_133247.jpg.15de286b093949fc96cfd1c279fc5854.jpg

Edited by Waveydavey
Reinstating photos
  • Like 8

More new wagons at Glasgow

Three Shellstar fertiliser vans based around the Lima PWA. One BRT, one Procor and one Lloyds and Scottish owned. Jon Hall etches and Stenson bogies with decals being a mix of Railtec and others I had in stock with the Shellstar and L&S logos provided by jessy1692.

On pre exhibition testing the BRT van refused to stay on the track and with limited time to sort it out had to be left at home.

20220220_123847.jpg.d2bba67305bfb9e7f2c4a9b0777d5e48.jpg

Two visitors were these Cavalex BBAs brought over by Will Perkins of Cavalex. Just able to scrape in with our 1975 time period they do look very nice but perhaps a little bit too clean. I found the mesh deck of the wagons to be a work of art. I hope we can host these again with a bit of road dirt starting to accumulate.

20220225_134524.jpg.4322208fd6f962fe98b3853ce1eb628a.jpg

Edited by Waveydavey
Reinstating photos
  • Like 5