RMweb

stfgroxb

• RMweb Premium

Stunning layout. Great photos's. More please.

Does your modellers licence cover the running of DMU's and Class 31's

Paul R

Hi Paul

Derby orange star 3 car suburbans (Class 125) were used on the Buntingford branch. 

• RMweb Premium

Thank you everyone for the very kind and generous responses.

To answer some of the queries:

The back scene is a Gaugemaster photographic one which came out at just the right time, and portrayed the right season as well. They are not exactly straight-forward to mount as the backing surface needs to be very flat and smooth - even staples will show through as a bump! There are therefore a number of stretigically located trees! The other trick was blending the foreground colours and contours to disguise the join between the two.

Yes, modellers licence allows DMUs and a Class 31. As noted, the branch used suburban 3 car Class 125s, and converting something to one of these is beyond my capability. Therefore Cambridge depot must have taken over DMU provision and passengers have to make do with rattle Craven units and the occasional Derby Lightweight. I could not resist buying a W&M Railbus on the premise that these are used on occasional trips to the branch by Cambridge University Rail Enthusiasts group, having been rendered redundant and stored following closure of the nearby Saffron Walden branch. Class 31s sometimes operate the freight, as they did in mid-Norfolk. I will post some more pictures showing these later.

I do not have a track plan to publish but will post an aerial shot later too.

Thanks again for the encouraging comments.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Super layout!

I have always had an interest in Buntingford as I once nearly bought a house there (1984). So many new houses have been built since the branch closed that a passenger service would probably be justified again.

• RMweb Premium

I may be wrong but weren't the Wickham trolleys given a run along the Buntingford branch or is that beer glass talk I've heard ?

I think that Wickhams did use the branch to test products - the Paye book has pictures of rail cars for Peru being tested there. I am hoping that Heljan will produce a Wickham Railbus!

• RMweb Gold

I think that Wickhams did use the branch to test products - the Paye book has pictures of rail cars for Peru being tested there. I am hoping that Heljan will produce a Wickham Railbus!

I might be wrong but haven't Bachmann already done one ? if not there's possibly a kit out there somewhere.

• RMweb Premium

I can't yet find a way to copy links into RM Web, but if anyone is interested there are three short video clips of Buntingford 'in action' with sound on Vimeo - just search for 'Buntingford' on the site.

I may be wrong but weren't the Wickham trolleys given a run along the Buntingford branch or is that beer glass talk I've heard ?

Even more than that - various Wickham exotica, often destined for export, were permitted onto the branch for testing.

The Nim.

• RMweb Gold

Super layout!

I have always had an interest in Buntingford as I once nearly bought a house there (1984). So many new houses have been built since the branch closed that a passenger service would probably be justified again.

Back in the early 1990s I was talking regularly to people at the local TOC (WAGN) and there was general agreement that if the Buntingford branch had been able to soldier on for a few more years it would have been electrified, a la the Braintree branch. This would have included the possibility of direct peak-hour services to Liverpool Street. Some stations would have had to close and another problem would have been the level crossing over the A120 at Standon, the latter now carrying heavy traffic.

As with many rail closures, the local road network has never really kept up with residential development along the former alignment.