stfgroxb

• RMweb Gold

I have one on order but am concerned that it can't be DCC fitted?

Anything can be Dcc'd so long as you can isolate the power feeds,  the problem is where to put the chip, I'd figure on a small "N" chip under the roof of the trolley with the wiring down a pillar

• RMweb Premium

Anything can be Dcc'd so long as you can isolate the power feeds,  the problem is where to put the chip, I'd figure on a small "N" chip under the roof of the trolley with the wiring down a pillar

That's good news if I can figure out how to do it. An idea for a magazine article? Sound might be more of a challenge - perhaps the trolley needs a load?

• RMweb Gold

That's good news if I can figure out how to do it. An idea for a magazine article? Sound might be more of a challenge - perhaps the trolley needs a load?

Did they propel the trailers? If not, the main problem would seem to be how to run round  at a terminus.

• RMweb Premium

Did they propel the trailers? If not, the main problem would seem to be how to run round  at a terminus.

Good question. Looking at the model again the trailer looks to have a modelled sheeted load already - presumably the motor will be in there?

• RMweb Gold

Good question. Looking at the model again the trailer looks to have a modelled sheeted load already - presumably the motor will be in there?

It looks like the motor is in the trailer and the coupling between that and the trolley has electrical connection too, so pickups on the trolley as well ?

This is a superb recreation of a GER terminus the first thing I noticed was the platform and how it is so like many to be found in the region and the overall feel is great with traffic as it was .I can remember the station with steam and then the first diesels it was a shame that the axe came as it would be very busy now just like so many branches in the east you must have great fun running it keep the info coming please.

• RMweb Premium

I guess they will have to have pick-ups on all wheels given the very short wheelbase. I am really looking forward to having one of these diminutive little things trundling up and down - did Wickhams test all 600 on the Buntingford branch?!!

We have to limit the file size I'm afraid due to the volume of files we host; the easiest thing to do is to upload to YouTube or similar and post a ink to the video. Looking forward to seeing it.

• RMweb Premium

This is a superb recreation of a GER terminus the first thing I noticed was the platform and how it is so like many to be found in the region and the overall feel is great with traffic as it was .I can remember the station with steam and then the first diesels it was a shame that the axe came as it would be very busy now just like so many branches in the east you must have great fun running it keep the info coming please.

Thanks for the rather unexpected observation about the platform. I used the excellent Scalescene brick papers for the brickwork here, as the brick colours looked to be just right for the area. I was determined to re-create the whitewash that had dribbled down the front of the platform edge following repeated applications of the platform edge line, as this is very prominent in photographs of the station.

• RMweb Premium

This a link to a video on Vimeo showing the Cravens 2 car unit leaving Buntingford on a branch service to St Margaret's:

It doesn't seem to copy as a direct link but does work if you copy and paste it to Google, etc. If any of you out there are more IT literate than I am, please let me know how I can copy a direct link in to RM Web from Vimeo, or YouTube, etc. it can clearly be done s some contributors copy in direct links to videos hosted on You Tube with the starting image from the host site.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

This a link to a video on Vimeo showing the Cravens 2 car unit leaving Buntingford on a branch service to St Margaret's:

https://vimeo.com/129148733

It doesn't seem to copy as a direct link but does work if you copy and paste it to Google, etc. If any of you out there are more IT literate than I am, please let me know how I can copy a direct link in to RM Web from Vimeo, or YouTube, etc. it can clearly

done s some contributors copy in direct links to videos hosted on You Tube with the starting image from the host site.

Ignore lat request - it has copied over a treat!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul

Derby orange star 3 car suburbans (Class 125) were used on the Buntingford branch.

I think that I might have just found that Silver Fox do a ready-to-run Class 125 DMU, with a Hornby power unit. Does anyone know about these models - I have an old Class 24 body but their range has expanded since then?

• RMweb Premium

I think that I might have just found that Silver Fox do a ready-to-run Class 125 DMU, with a Hornby power unit. Does anyone know about these models - I have an old Class 24 body but their range has expanded since then?

Hi stfgroxb

The Silver Fox website shows their class 125 model.http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/british-rail-class-125-br-derby-unit/ It looks like a Lima 117 with new cab ends. The Driving Motor Second has their conversion kit replacing the brake compartment http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/british-rail-class-117-pressed-steel-unit/

They do not show the centre car fully so I cannot make out if it has the correct window/seating bay layout.

If you really want to you can have a bash like I am trying http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93301-dmu-conversions-for-sheffield-exchange/?p=1687947

Edit, The Hornby power unit might be from the class 121 model.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Hi stfgroxb

The Silver Fox website shows their class 125 model.http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/british-rail-class-125-br-derby-unit/ It looks like a Lima 117 with new cab ends. The Driving Motor Second has their conversion kit replacing the brake compartment http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/british-rail-class-117-pressed-steel-unit/

They do not show the centre car fully so I cannot make out if it has the correct window/seating bay layout.

If you really want to you can have a bash like I am trying http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93301-dmu-conversions-for-sheffield-exchange/?p=1687947

Edit, The Hornby power unit might be from the class 121 model.

Clive,

Thanks for this observation, and for the link - some really inspirational and detailed work here. Your 125 is very convincing.

Graham

I've done a 125 conversion using Lima units, many years ago but still have it. The centre car was made up from 10 slices glued together. Easy to do back then, but a tad difficult today in finding enough cars at the right price?

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Another brief video clip, this time showing an as yet unweathered D8233 departing Buntingford having left a van and grain wagons at the maltings. The loaded coal wagons will be dropped at other stations along the branch - or did I just forget to unload them before taking the video?! This is the Class 15 currently undergoing a complete re-build and I am longing to see it eventually running again.

Thanks again for the kind comments about the layout.

Edited by stfgroxb
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Another brief video clip, this time showing an as yet unweathered D8233 departing Buntingford having left a van and grain wagons at the maltings. The loaded coal wagons will be dropped at other stations along the branch - or did I just forget to unload them before taking the video?! This is the Class 15 currently undergoing a complete re-build and I am longing to see it eventually running again.

Very nice.

What are you using for a sound chip ?

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

This is a great layout. I especially like the way it is spaced out with long platform and sidings.

Nick

Nick, thanks for the positive feedback. The platform and sidings are mostly to scale, although the maltings road in reality was at more of an angle to the station. This meant however that the off-scene approaches feature sharper curves given overall space constraints which can raise some issues with complex shunts.

Graham

• RMweb Premium

Very nice.

What are you using for a sound chip ?

Adrian

Adrian,

I am writing this away from home and will check details on return, but I have used Howes 'generic Class 15' chips with the Class 15s as featured here, and Coastal Sounds chips with my Class 16s. This is a very different sound, and the clip below will allow you to compare:

https://vimeo.com/135346980

It is not easy fitting the round ESU speakers in these logos, and in the last one I used a new 'Sugar Curve' one which fits well in the space available in the front of the long bonnet.

Regards,

Graham

• Like 2