The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

There is way to fix that W10 partition issue.Google the error code and look at MS pages on it. I followed the command prompt instructions which delete the partition in question, resize the main partition (a bit worrying that) and recreate the relevant partition. My mistake I set to the resize the deleted partition which resulted in an error message. Ignored it and recreated the partition without resizing the main and the error went away anyway.

Not had any issues with W11. In any event W12 is being talked about coming soon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Trainshed Terry said:

I am not switching over to Windows 11just asa the support dose not end until October 2025, as it is still still to unstable and buggy for me.

Terry.

The 2 Windows 11 machines I've got are stable and bug free.

I can't update the two Win 10 machines because of out of date hardware* short of a forced update.

One is this Acer Laptop from 2011, which is well specified with a SSD (My addition) and dual graphics processors

*both 3rd generation Corei7 Intel processors.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, it says it must be a minimum of 250MB

My recovery partition is already 603MB, which is way over the minimum, so it must be more involved than it says.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Interesting, it says it must be a minimum of 250MB

My recovery partition is already 603MB, which is way over the minimum, so it must be more involved than it says.

Yes, there are several threads where people have increased the size and it still didn't work. So possibly something else in play.

Will await the MS "fix" if and when it appears.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, mezzoman253 said:

Yes, there are several threads where people have increased the size and it still didn't work. So possibly something else in play.

The other PC has a 529MB recovery partition so the same problem, it's more than big enough but doesn't install

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Last night my Win 10 laptop had the blue updating screen with the twirl for at least 2 hours - I had to leave it switched on overnight to finish!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

i am now using Win11 for the first time on a new HP laptop.

Generally very impressed, BUT the dialogue text in some soiftware is really small. Here is an example from Templot against Rmweb. The dialogue box is almost too small to read. It isn't all programs, Word and excel etc are fione, but Coreldraw has the issue.

It isnt changing the text size as most of the text is OK, it jsut seems to be in some dialogue boxes.

I have screen resolution set to the recomended 3000 x 2000.

Any ideas?

Screenshot2024-02-29221207.png.9794e8a29c805f5ce10a95df3306a96d.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

I have screen resolution set to the recomended 3000 x 2000.

Blimey, what's that on?

It sounds like on odd figure, it's not even a common aspect ratio.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ikcdab said:

Here is an example from Templot against Rmweb. The dialogue box is almost too small to read.

@ikcdab

Hi Ian,

That's what the program size slider is for (bottom right of screen):

program_size_slider1.png.8ed2a89d9d1bd2c34b93c0854e0d6934.png

Adjust it to give Templot a comfortable size on your screen.

cheers,

Martin.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 03/02/2024 at 06:46, Welly said:

Last night my Win 10 laptop had the blue updating screen with the twirl for at least 2 hours - I had to leave it switched on overnight to finish!

Mine updates in a few minutes.

My wife's could take ages for the same update, all depends on spec.

The main bottleneck I found were hard drives, mine has a Samsung  EVO SSD (pretty fast) and my wife's has a pretty slow HDD.

Next is the processor, mine is a fairly fast core i7, my wife's a much slower dual core processor.

Both are similar age Acer laptops, they couldn't be more different.

Often when updating my wife's laptop would show both the processor & hard drive maxed out at 100%, mine never does that.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thought there was a Windows 11 thread but I can't find it.

Anyway, still not exactly overwhelmed with 11 but it's got one feature I really like - the pictures it puts up on the lock / log in screen. It's come up with a lot of really good ones.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Anyway, still not exactly overwhelmed with 11 but it's got one feature I really like - the pictures it puts up on the lock / log in screen. It's come up with a lot of really good ones.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
On 04/03/2024 at 06:44, Reorte said:

The photos come up with annoying repetition, surely there is no reason to repeat them at all?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

The photos come up with annoying repetition, surely there is no reason to repeat them at all?

I've not had any repeat yet. The same one stays for a few days. I assumed it was downloading them in the background (not something I'm really keen on it doing unless I explicitly turn it on, but wouldn't bother me much in this case).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I've not had any repeat yet. The same one stays for a few days. I assumed it was downloading them in the background (not something I'm really keen on it doing unless I explicitly turn it on, but wouldn't bother me much in this case).

When I say repeat, often a previous one comes back after perhaps 3 days and another week goes by there's the same one again.

It ought to be possible to have perhaps 100 photos and replace them every ## number of days. In other words repeats are rare.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I've not had them repeating like that, weird. Might be some setting you've got that's only using locally-stored ones?

If there is such a setting, then I'd love to know about it!

• Like 1