Cheap PWM Speed Controllers - Any Good?

BG John

I've been reading this discussion on the PWM DC Motor Speed Controllers that are available for a few pounds. There are lots of different ones, but this is the one linked to in the opening post. It seems that some people have found they are OK as DC controllers, but need a centre off two way switch added to cut off the power when the loco is supposed to be stationary.

I'm building several small layouts at the moment, and wondered if I would get satisfactory results installing one of these on each of them, rather than swapping my Gaugemasters between layouts.

The layout I'm currently working on needs a controller that will run the new Dapol O gauge Terrier and several Hornby OO chassis (with O-16.5 bodies). The other layouts are 4mm.

Does the lack of replies mean I have to buy one to find out?

Could also mean that not many people with experience of same have read the post?

I haven't used said controller, but if it is true PWM, then it will apply spikes of full output voltage to the track of varying duration. This gives a psuedo speed regulation at the expense of really kicking the motor with Max voltage every pulse.

Some motors will be worse than others, but I would expect to see:

Noisier running

Possible motor heating

Shorter brush life

If you want to (and can) solder some basic electronic components, there are much more sympathetic variable dc controllers to be made for not much more money.

Hope that helps you decide?

• 3 months later...

Archived