Lima loco's as dummy's for shunting...?

Hi,

I'm currently constructing my layout and part of it will incorporate a TMD with lots of potential for shunting of loco's. Given the cost of buying maybe 10 loco's I was planning to have say 4 dcc controlled and the rest as dummy loco's.  With that in mind I was considering using Lima models as firstly they are a lot cheaper and secondly running problems etc won't be an issue.  I just wanted a few opinions on the classes listed below regarding their appearance as I know there are a few older loco's around which aren't very good representations.  The one thing i've noticed is the huge couplings but if i'm spending £20-30 I don't mind hacking them around a bit.

Classes: 31 Railfreight, 47 Railfreight, 37 EWS, 60 EWS, 

Many thanks

Classes: 31 Railfreight, 47 Railfreight, 37 EWS, 60 EWS, 

I'd tackle this on a comparisons basis. Simply because you want locos of the same class to look like members of the same class

The 31 is a good bodyshell. In fact, don't run it with the curent main range Hornby because it will reveal that representation's deficiencies.

The 47 too looks like a 47, won't be shamed by the Bach or Vi if given some detail attention.

The 37 should be firmly trodden on. Every one you do this to slightly improves the standard of OO models.

The 60 I don't know at all. I would want to put it alongside the Hornby if one of these is in your plans, as that is generally reckoned to be one of the best available RTR locos; and it might leave the Lima looking compromised.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

That's a good idea, and the Lima locos will stand next to Hornby ones, especially with a bit of work - such as replacing the couplings with wire loops.  I have a couple that were poor runners which are now dummy locos for double heading, etc.  Some of the older ones benefit from a bit of touching in of paintwork where the livery is printed - eg where the cab window surrounds are printed black, the inside edge of the window is still yellow, touching it in with black paint looks much better. 

The 60 does sit next to the Hornby one, I have a Railfreight Coal one, fitted with Hornby buffer heads (the Lima ones are wrong) which improves the 'face' no end.  I also happened to have a set of black Hornby grilles from a Loadhaul one, which sit nicely over the printed Lima ones.  I haven't yet, but the faring under the cab needs removing from the bogie, and fitting to the bodyshell like it should, and wire loop couplers adding.

The 37 I think is OK for what it is, though it could be better.  The main problem again is the couplings.  I have a couple of repainted and detailed ones that run perfectly and look the part.  It does sit high on its bogies though. 

The 31 again is a decent model, no major problems, as 34...B&D said above.

To create a dummy loco, the easiest way is to remove the last set of drive cogs from above the drive wheels, they just pop out, and mine are taped to the chassis inside in case I ever want to re-instate the motor.  Obviously, disconnect the motor wires too!

You could also get an old Mainline/Dapol class 56 from ebay, it could even have missing glazing or buffers, with a little weathering it would look like many 56s did at the end of there lives

The Lima 60 would need detailing inside the engine compartment as you can see through the bodies and Hornby's model has the detail built in

• RMweb Premium

Incidentally, the latest ModelRail may be of help, it features a depot layout and loco under maintenance.  I picked up a copy as I'm building a small depot layout myself at the minute.

With a bit of searching you can get ViTrains 47s for not a lot of money which is basically an evolution of Lima's 47. That way you could get a slightly crisper livery application, higher detail and a better drive.

Doesn't really answer your question but it's just a thought!

Thinking about couplings, the Smith's screw couplings are probably your best bet for something that is in essence realistic, aren't too expensive, and can be made to work. If you are using tension locks then you can fit some locos with a goalpost shaped wire on the bufferbeam, which allows full pipework detail to be added as well as giving a capacity for haulage, which I think has already been mentioned.

Old Lima locos are quite common on Ebay - probably not as cheap as at one time because the price of everything else has risen. They are dead easy to clean and service if you want them to work as well as act as dummies.

John.

• RMweb Premium

...which also reminds me, if you're having sections of infilled track, using card or filler to represent concrete hard standing, be careful that it doesn't lift the wheels off the rails, because of the deeper Lima flanges.  Shouldn't be a problem for dummy locos (to a small degree at least) if the tread loses good contact, but will be of they're needing to pick up power, either to run themselves or for lights etc on board... 

May I ask why only use them as dummy locos? I have lots of lima locos many had not run in years most ran without problems first time they were used. A few just needed a little oil and a quick wheel clean and they ran fine after running in. I was most impressed

Just watch that Lima locos are fine on code 100 track but won't like any finer scales if you are going down that route - would need re wheel and then costs will rise...

I have read reports that this is the case with some makes of code 75 track. However my Lima locos run fine on Peco code 75.

I suspect the answer is in two parts. First that early Lima locos had deeper flanges than later ones - this does seem to be true for their coaches. Second that the chairs on some makes of track come closer to the rail head than they do on Peco, and it is the bottom of the flange running along the top of the chair that is the problem. I've never really got to the bottom of this issue and perhaps someone can be more definite?

John.

May I ask why only use them as dummy locos? I have lots of lima locos many had not run in years most ran without problems first time they were used. A few just needed a little oil and a quick wheel clean and they ran fine after running in. I was most impressed

Excellent, thanks again for everyone's input, it is appreciated.  I am using code 100 track so should be ok. I will have a concrete area so will watch out for that.

To answer your question I am only in the process of building my layout and one of the things that interests me most is the shunting around of loco's around the tmd area. I do plan on building a fleet of dcc equipped loco's over time but as a cheaper option to give me something to play around with and practise my detailing on this seems like a good way to go.

Most locos in a TMD would move around self propelled unless they had a power fault or had their engine removed.

Last week I watched locomaster profiles excellent video Toton the works. While researching my new TMD layout there was an interesting part where 37408 was being shunted out of the shed, still in undercoat, roof panels open and engine removed. It would make an interesting and unusual model on a layout.

• RMweb Premium

Just as a follow up to my previous posts, here's a couple of quick pics showing a Hornby and Lima 60 side by side.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a 'standard' Lima 60 to hand for comparison.  Spot the difference - which is Lima?  There are a couple of easy give aways...

(and oops, I just realised seeing the pics that the body isn't quite on properly on one of them...)

post-14759-0-18002600-1439236912_thumb.jpg

post-14759-0-38456100-1439237678_thumb.jpg

post-14759-0-58458100-1439237738.jpg

Thanks for the pics. They both look good to me but to my untrained eye I would hazard a guess that 60014 is the Hornby model??  I definitely wouldn't hesitate on having the Lima model based on those pics, even if it did require a bit of work. It's all part of the process of developing modelling skills.  I got a copy of ModelRail magazine, it makes interesting reading and definitely a few helpful tips in there.  Really need to press on with getting the ballasting done on my layout before I get too ahead of myself...

• RMweb Premium

Some nice models there Darrel, I particularly like the 33.

Yes, 60014 is the Hornby one, but 055 stands well alongside it I think.  It has Hornby cab interiors, wipers and buffers, as well as mesh grilles laid over the printed Lima ones.  Unfortunately the Hornby body I took the parts from didn't yield a set of horns. 

• RMweb Gold

I shamelessly admit I'm a fan of Lima tooling. A few years back you could pick them up for under a tenner but those days have long since past. I have around a dozen Lima 40s at various stages of detailing in my collection mostly picked up for well under £15 each. I don't also think the Lima 37 is necessarily a bad base model - once the awful couplings and compromises around the bufferbeam area are dealt with then they also scrub up very well indeed. Of course the Lima 31 has been mentioned, and it's a better overall shape than the recent Hornby offerings. Lima 47s - well some of the best diesel modellers around argue this is still the best bodyshell despite lacking modern refinements such as etched grilles and the like.

The Kier Hardy EM site provides descriptions on how to double motor Lima models, and If this route is chosen I can see no reason why the residual trailing bogies can't be doubled up to make dummy locos. Unfortunately though finding cheap models is not that easy as mentioned above. The Hornby railroad (and TTS sound fitted option) chassis can be used with ease to go under 31, 37, 40 and 47 models and ditto the Vitrains chassis with Lima 37s and 47s. This makes things a bit cheaper than the £100+ price tag brand new Hornby/Heljan/Dapol/Bachmann models are commanding. However don't expect high performance from the railroad power bogie, it's quite compromised in the haulage department. Vitrains units are very good, and were until quite recently cheap.

But it's not always about cost. Detailing is huge fun, teaches new skills and gives life back to old but treasured models often bought with the proceeds of paper rounds/student grants etc in the 1970s/1980s. Search eBay and with some patience and luck you should be able to source a cheap but neglected Lima model.

Neil

Archived