Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

how does this happen?

Joe MCMLXI

Hi, I was flicking through some e-bay stuff and came across this layout for sale....

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=181826799358&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565 

sorry you need to copy and paste, I don't know how to put a direct link in.

the starting bid was £250.... the same bidder has put two bids on, and its now at £700 ! I thought the first bid would be at £250..... I don't understand what has happened.... can anyone explain it to me in simple terms how its got to this price??

cheers

Joe

• RMweb Gold

There's actually only one bidder.  The first bid wasn't high enough to reach the reserve price.  The second bid was.  We now know that the reserve price was £700 but still do not know what the bidder's maximum bid was.

This is de ja vu perhaps.

Or was this same ebay item discussed on an ebay related thread Autumn last year?

Same thing happened. A small bid and then a ridiculous bid right after. I'm sure it's the same layout- it was commented upon that it was not 100% prototypical in its design and that some aspects of its track geometry could be improved.

To be fair, The ballasting isnt terrible. Though why youd ballast such poorly planned track is beyond me.

I like how "the buildings can be included for an additional cost"

Though with the original enquiery here, I do believe we have witnessed a normal problem with ebay. Idiots both over charging, and over bidding.

To be fair, The ballasting isnt terrible. Though why youd ballast such poorly planned track is beyond me.

Though with the original enquiery here, I do believe we have witnessed a normal problem with ebay. Idiots both over charging, and over bidding.

Yep!

Idiots both over charging, and over bidding.

I would have no problem at all being called an overcharging idiot if I could guarantee to find an overbidding idiot each and every time...

Sad that quality often sells for peanuts and tat often fetches more.

I cannot be bothered to look up the item again, but if it has been made by a professional/full time modeller he may well have costed it out by the time it took to make and cost of the items.

Whilst I am not commenting on this item in either the quality of design/build. Having something made for you is expensive, a lot of buyers (me included ) want something for nothing, by waiting and looking bargains do pop up. Many others may have the cash available but not the time and are willing to pay

As for the design, I have a friend who has filled up his loft with a layout similar in style to this. He is not interested in it looking like the prototype, just wants to play trains and see his favourite locos running.

What is an item worth ? what someone is willing to pay is the answer. Don't forget just because we value an item highly, others will as well. Often they don't

Archived