SoundTraxx Econami sound decoders @ £55

philsandy

Just read about these in this months BRM.

A small decoder, 27 x 10.5 x 5 mm. available from Digitrains, but at present their website is showing them out of stock.

Does anyone have experience of these, are they any good?

Edited by philsandy

• RMweb Gold

Supposed to be very good but as they have only just been released its a bit early to report experience.

My stock only arrived last week and I haven't got them on my website yet (job for this afternoon) and won't be installing one until later in the week

Paul Martin

EDM Models

www.ngtrains.com

Edited by ngtrains.com

• RMweb Gold

I imagine these are very similar to the decoders found in the Bachmann US Soundvalue locos?

No, and why "imagine" anything when actual real information is available?. These are more like TCS WOW sound with multiple sounds on one decoder with high quality sound output. I am just installing my first in an On30 Mogul. One issue for easy programming for me maybe that DecoderPro doesn't have definitions for the yet.

The fist release is for three small wired decoders covering steam, diesel and electric in a package smaller the their current smallest Tsunami. These will shortly be followed by some plug and play ones designed to plug straight in to HO US diesels. These will be followed by a higher current unit for larger scale models.

As this is a US product there should be no surprise that the source sounds are American

Paul Martin

EDM Models

• RMweb Gold

Is it a silly question to ask if they can be reblown ?

No, but the answer is no.

You are missing the point with these decoders. Whilst they are not "loco" specific" which is why you might want to re-blow them to a particular loco they have massive memory so have lots of sounds on board. The idea is that you pick the sounds to assemble the loco sound you want. Taking diesels for an example:

You pick one of the prime movers (engine in English)

post-2660-0-38694800-1439820529.jpg

Then you pick

• a bell   (7 to choose)
  • an air horn (16 to choose)
  • an air compressor (2 to choose)
  • Start up and notch sound
  • Coupler sound (3 to choose)
  • Dynamic brake sound
  • Radiator Fans
  • Poppet valve
  • Emergency brake application
  • Brake Squeel/release

Full technical details and sound samples are on the Soundtraxx website here http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/econami/index.php

They are now on my NGTrains website here http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Soundtraxx/Econami/econami.html

The key thing as well is that they are small whilst rated for a stall current of 1A and they are ready to connect to keep alive units

post-2660-0-84119500-1439821372.jpg post-2660-0-80704200-1439823336.jpg

27mm x 10.5mm x 5mm

post-2660-0-24457600-1439821144.jpg

post-2660-0-27468500-1439821160.jpg

post-2660-0-10157800-1439821175.jpg

post-2660-0-33540000-1439821187.jpg

post-2660-0-64521300-1439821201.jpg

0ne last thing to mention -

These new decoders are Budget Range decoders. Whilst they feature many new features and ways of doing things that may end up in future premium loco specific decoders they do not have all the features of the current premium range. If they did no one would by the posh ones would they?

• 3 months later...

According to MRE, Econami with British steam and diesel sounds, are being launched at Warley this weekend.

Class 20, 31, 37, 47 and UK EMD710 (66 &67) with 9 horns (high/low tones), 2 air compressors, engine startup, shutdown and exhaust, Spirax valve, brake squeal/release, and more.

Price given as "starting at £52".

http://www.mremag.com/index.php/news/502-sountraxxwarley

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No, but the answer is no.

You are missing the point with these decoders. Whilst they are not "loco" specific" which is why you might want to re-blow them to a particular loco they have massive memory so have lots of sounds on board. The idea is that you pick the sounds to assemble the loco sound you want. Taking diesels for an example:

You pick one of the prime movers (engine in English)

attachicon.gif17-08-2015 15-07-16.jpg

Then you pick

• a bell   (7 to choose)
  • an air horn (16 to choose)
  • an air compressor (2 to choose)
  • Start up and notch sound
  • Coupler sound (3 to choose)
  • Dynamic brake sound
  • Radiator Fans
  • Poppet valve
  • Emergency brake application
  • Brake Squeel/release

Full technical details and sound samples are on the Soundtraxx website here http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/econami/index.php

They are now on my NGTrains website here http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Soundtraxx/Econami/econami.html

The key thing as well is that they are small whilst rated for a stall current of 1A and they are ready to connect to keep alive units

attachicon.gifeco100.jpg attachicon.gifComparison-600.jpg

27mm x 10.5mm x 5mm

attachicon.gifFeatures.jpg

attachicon.gifSteam.jpg

attachicon.gifDiesel.jpg

attachicon.gifElectric.jpg

attachicon.gifhyperlight.jpg

0ne last thing to mention -

These new decoders are Budget Range decoders. Whilst they feature many new features and ways of doing things that may end up in future premium loco specific decoders they do not have all the features of the current premium range. If they did no one would by the posh ones would they?

Stupid question, but what tools do you need to select your loco sound, horns etc etc?

Can this be done from a normal UK DCC controler, say via CV settings ? Or do need special software on top?

• RMweb Gold

Can this be done from a normal UK DCC controler, say via CV settings ? Or do need special software on top?

All can be set through changing CV's in a standard handset.

That said I have a laptop hooked up to my DCC and use DecoderPro (its free) to change them.

All can be set through changing CV's in a standard handset.

That said I have a laptop hooked up to my DCC and use DecoderPro (its free) to change them.

Ditto what Paul said...

I obtained one of these decoders at the Tolworth show - should have purchased a couple at least -  the dealer there, Sunningwell Command Control http://www.scc4dcc.co.uk/ gave a great demonstration with two different locos and then changing up the various options, and it was good enough for me.

Not exactly a "sound purist" so I'm more than happy with the result, your mileage may vary.

Installed in my Hornby S15, and has an appropriate enough set of sounds and "correct" whistle available, thank you very much :)

Everything changeable, including various volume settings, via CVs.

You DO need to get the full manual from the soundtraxx web site though for the entire range of available CVs. The info card attached to the decoder package only has the primary CVs for the options of basic sounds/whistles etc.

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Gold

Further to all the above notes. My first supply of Soundtraxx UK sound decoders finally arrived.

Production was much delayed due to a component shortage which affected all their product line

post-2660-0-51484200-1481152637.jpg

I only paid the ransom, got them from customs and had them delivered today so haven't had time to play with them yet.

I am afraid the earlier price forecasts were based on a more generous exchange rate

• RMweb Gold

Sounds (no pun intended) really interesting.  Neither Soundtraxx nor retailers have listed the "functions."  (e.g., Guard's whistle???, etc.) If you can, please list the functions.  Thanks.

Will do but it will be Sunday at the earliest. Up to my neck in packing for a show and the decoders are already packed and loaded.

Ian or Paul.

Sounds (no pun intended) really interesting.  Neither Soundtraxx nor retailers have listed the "functions."  (e.g., Guard's whistle???, etc.) If you can, please list the functions.  Thanks.

See below - this is from the packaging, there area  lot of additional CVs to control features such as volume etc., those are all in the full instruction manual that's on the soundtraxx web site.

You need that in order to know what CVs control additional features as well as such things as (believe it or not) number of door slams for the guard whistle/door slam feature!!

CVs

post-20244-0-65317600-1481213029_thumb.jpg

Functions

post-20244-0-83014500-1481213030_thumb.jpg

NOTE: This is for the STEAM version of the Soundtraxx Econami

Edited by Ian Abel

Thanks - this is really helpful.  Assume, for example, the GWR 2-6-2 whistle would be pretty standard GWR whistle and "medium" engine could be almost any 4-6-0 or 2-6-0.  Clearly the scheme is not "generic" but rather  "representative" as opposed to, e.g., "YouChoos" specific prototype. I'll be curious to see UK reactions as the USA reception of the Econami line has been quite positive and, at least in my opinion, these "representative" sounds in USA steam locos have been very impressive.  First project will obviously be the Bachmann Prairie - then the Hornby "Hall" after I have made the improvements discussed in the later part of the "Hall" string of comments.

Keep your comments coming Ian.  Again, thanks.

George

North Carolina

George, I see from your last post that you're "over here" ;)

Be aware the UK versions of the Econami are ONLY available from UK retailers, not directly here in the US, so as to protect the UK suppliers apparently. I guess they must think there are millions of "us" over here that would be taking trade away from the UK retails - fat chance ;)

If I get a chance this weekend I'll try and make a short video of my S15 installation. It really is very good IMHO sound-wise.

The sounds all seem to be "actual samples" even though there's not an unlimited number to choose from.

I only have one other sound decoder equipped engine, a Bachmann 5MT, not sure exactly what the sound is as it was a secondhand purchase sound already installed. The decoder is a Loksound according to JMRI therefore  pretty sure it's a proprietary rather than generic sound, but honestly, to my simple requirements, the Econami can provide the same result as that one does, ran them side-by-side as a check...

There's enough of a saving IMHO for the Econami over a "serious sound decoder" that for me I think it's worth it and I'll likely get a couple more. Of course that's assuming I can find a retailer who deducts VAT and will ship them to the US for sensible postage :)

Edited by Ian Abel

See below - this is from the packaging, there area  lot of additional CVs to control features such as volume etc., those are all in the full instruction manual that's on the soundtraxx web site.

You need that in order to know what CVs control additional features as well as such things as (believe it or not) number of door slams for the guard whistle/door slam feature!!

CVs

attachicon.gifEconami CVs-1.jpg

Functions

attachicon.gifEconami Functions-1.jpg

NOTE: This is for the STEAM version of the Soundtraxx Econami

It is interesting that they picked the 2-6-0 BR standard 4 and not the 4-6-0 BR standard 4 (I guess in practice the two probably sound the same, or would the standard 5 4-6-0 sounds be more appropriate? - can someone please confirm?). The Bachmann 2-6-0 standard 4 is very difficult to fit a chip (let alone sound), while the Hornby 4-6-0 standard 4 are all ready for sound fitting.

Hi,

I also bought one of these, Economi 100-Steam at Warley. To my untrained ear, the sound is great.Unfortunately I model in Ngauge and try as I might,there is no way  I can get it to fit

in anything I have,even with the speaker in an attached wagon.----Unless anyone has any other ideas ?

Richard

Edited by radcliffe40

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, just got my Econami fitted in my Bachmann 00 Prairie today and working - albeit until it apparently 'ran out of steam' (or at least that's how it appeared to me - it suddenly went slower and slower and slower and stopped - sounds still working (very nicely I have to say!) except for the sound of the Cylinder Cocks on F4 - this alone - and not moving either direction, now don't work! Arggh. Tried, at a first shot, using the F16 Water Stop sound feature - very nicely opended the 'water hatch' and filled her up... but no use. Tried factory reset but unfortunately didn't fix it. There's a possibility that the CV's are locked (a nice feature for consisting that helps prevent accidently changing the other decoder) - so I need to check that, which looks a little involved - as does most of this decoder's features from the various lengthy manuals!!! At least is has a 90 day Warranty.... 

Other items to consider I've realised...

1. This decoder is default set for DCC not DC (I've seen that done elsewhere too.) Therefore, if you don't have a DCC Controller and you buy this chip intending to run it on DC, you need to get your supplier to ensure they set it first to DC mode so yuou can actually use it! Or find a friend who can fix it!

2. I started this for test purposes on DC - and then noticed the strange glow from the chip! I thought something was a bout to fry! Turns out the chip has onboard LEDs for trouble-shooting. This would be a very nice feature, if 1. the chi wasn't being placed in a steam loco cab that now emits a blue glow....! And 2. that actually flashed the required sequence when you did the reset! Of course, it may be locked.... Hmmph.

Overall though, I love this!! I just hope I can get it going again. Any ideas, do shout!

PS Happy New Year! 

PPS Video to follow when fixed!!!