Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

WEST SHED

Andrew P

Thanks Brian, and all posters, I hope we have a good 2016.

TODAY :O

Yes I know its Christmas Day, but I've picked up a nice bargain from Rails of Sheffield via a well know auction site after putting in an offer this morning, it was soon accepted, and so I've paid for it and it will be winging its way to West Shed in the New Year.

So what is it?

Well its a Hornby 8F, and will soon be Sound Fitted along with

2 x Black 5's

Patriot,

Jubilee

2 x Duchess's

There will be a few more for West Shed BR / MR and for a NEW soon to be disclosed project that will cause some surprises :no: :no:  :no:  

:sungum:  :sungum:

• Like 7

Well its a Hornby 8F, and will soon be Sound Fitted along with

a NEW soon to be disclosed project that will cause some surprises

Hi Andy,

Merry Christmas!

I hope you got your 8F at a bargain price ("Ye'll no be havin a sale?" if you remember the old Walkers crisps advert!) anyway, I can highly recommend Charlie Petty's new 8F sound chip - he gave me a nice demo of it at the Manchester show and I have to say, it's fantastic!

I don't have a clue how much it is or how you fit it (& speakers) as I didn't sell enough stock to buy one but it impressed me - as good as some of the very best European sounds I have!

Og Gawd, sorry! I sound like a walking advert for Charlie now!

Looking forwards to the new project, any clues!?!

Cheers,

John.

Evening Peter, John and Martin, well its almost over for another year, and so I'll be able to get back to normal, and certainly get onto a strict diet, after next week, when all the Christmas Pud, Mince Pies, Choc's and goodies have gone. 

I guess its a Happy New Year now to one and all.

Hi Andy,

Merry Christmas!

I hope you got your 8F at a bargain price ("Ye'll no be havin a sale?" if you remember the old Walkers crisps advert!) anyway, I can highly recommend Charlie Petty's new 8F sound chip - he gave me a nice demo of it at the Manchester show and I have to say, it's fantastic!

I don't have a clue how much it is or how you fit it (& speakers) as I didn't sell enough stock to buy one but it impressed me - as good as some of the very best European sounds I have!

Og Gawd, sorry! I sound like a walking advert for Charlie now!

Looking forwards to the new project, any clues!?!

Cheers,

John.

Thanks for the info John, when I had my last 8F I had the Howes Sound Unit in it and it was superb, a true Stanier Hooter and just a nice clanking of the motion once the controller has been notched back one or two, so that's the one I'll probably go for again.

One of the Black 5's is a factory fitted Sound and so I need to find the notes I made from an article in Model Rail a few years ago with the new CV settings to eliminate the Chuff on over run, then it will probably be Howes or South West Digital for the other Black 5, 9F and Jubilee, plus the Duchess's.

The Patriot is a Bachmann Factory fitted job, and shunting around on Jeff, (Binny's) Burton North the other night I would say its spot on for a Depot / Yard, so I'm pleased with that one.

More info in the New Year once the Sound Units are ordered.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening Peter, John and Martin, well its almost over for another year, and so I'll be able to get back to normal, and certainly get onto a strict diet, after next week, when all the Christmas Pud, Mince Pies, Choc's and goodies have gone. 

I guess its a Happy New Year now to one and all.

Good evening Mr P

Is the word highlighted by myself, is it one that you can use about yourself without out any contradiction? :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Ducks below the barricade.......pretty sharply. 

Guest Digital

Hi Andy

Really enjoyed looking through this thread.

Excellent layout with some great photos.

Look forward to seeing more in the New Year.

Best Wishes

John

Hello Andy

Have been following your trials & tribulations in the potting shed shed since it was built. Have learnt a lot & enjoyed the banter.

Maybe I can help you a little regarding the above post #507.

The 8F sound thread (and I believe a video) can be found here;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104602-locoman-superior-steam-sounds/

The tweeks to the CV values for the black 5 can be found here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/6238-Hornby-sound-black-5-optimising-performance/

(although I also recall the same article as you in MR but cannot remember what issue (there is an index in ukmodelshops.co.uk which may help).

I thought my own factory fitted black 5 was good until I got my A4 & K1 fitted with Zimo decoders & then realised how poor it actually was compared to them. I have not adjusted the black 5 yet but is on my ever increasing worklist to do.

Looking forward to your progress with the project(s).

Hope the Railway Santa was kind to you & all the best for the New Year.

Best regards

Gordon.

• Like 1

Thanks Gordon, welcome aboard, I too found the one that Big Jim posted and will be trying that out in the next few days, I will look at the 8F Video tomorrow, SWMBO is asleep in the Chair and probably DEFFINATELY would not want to be woken up by the sound of an 8F working hard and blowing it hooter at this time of night.

Cheers for your post.

There was a mention of a new project above. Why does that not surprise me? You are a fast worker Andy.

Don

Sorry Don, that was my mistake, its TWO ACTUALLY, :O

West Shed is as complete as it can be and is a pleasure to play with, operate I mean, and is stored at the Club Room, the new small projects will be reviled (revealed, Thanks Peter / below for pointing that out) in a couple of weeks.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Don, that was my mistake, its TWO ACTUALLY, :O

West Shed is as complete as it can be and is a pleasure to play with, operate I mean, and is stored at the Club Room, the new small projects will be reviled in a couple of weeks.

Hi Andy,

Oops - spelin misstake - I just hope that it won't be reviled but successfully revealed!  Looking forward to it.

Cheers, Peter

Some Sound Chips were ordered yesterday, they are a Black 5, Jubilee, 8F, 9F and a Duchess, but today I have asked for the Duchess one to be swapped for a 7F and a 4F. These will join the Patriot and Black 5 with Sound that I already have. I can now run WS as a Midland Shed, OR with the Bulleids as a Somerset and Dorset Shed.  Just need some Sound for the Bulleids now.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Some Sound Chips were ordered yesterday, they are a Black 5, Jubilee, 8F, 9F and a Duchess, but today I have asked for the Duchess one to be swapped for a 7F and a 4F. These will join the Patriot and Black 5 with Sound that I already have. I can now run WS as a Midland Shed, OR with the Bulleids as a Somerset and Dorset Shed.  Just need some Sound for the Bulleids now.

Andy,

You can use Bude ... it needs some running.

Peter

Andy,

You can use Bude ... it needs some running.

Peter

Thanks Peter, Sorry but its out of period, a bit to early for BR Late Crest, EDIT = But fine for our Open Weekends mate. Thanks.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy, just caught up with this thread after your post on PJ&T. All is clear now. Looking forward to seeing the LMR locos on shed (and possibly hearing?) I have a number of Howes' offerings including the 8F and I too am well pleased with them.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 2

What chip did you use for the Black 5 and Jubilee Andy?

Regards

Scott

Hi Scott, I have a Factory Black 5 and Patriot, the others are all from Howes, as I had an 8F from them a year or so ago and it was so so so so good.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Clive, mines full of Lemsip (other products available) at the moment. :O

Happy New Year ... get well soon .  I had a call from Russ let night - apparently 18 members turned up for a very successful running session at the club on New Years Eve.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3