Hornby Maunsell Coaches

iak

Since the arrival of these beasties in Crimson and Cream, how "traveled" would they be in BR days?

To what sort of places could they have run to and from, off Southern Region and its area?

The missus has commented on them looking like proper coaches and I sense being sounded out for Xmas? Ye ken?

Would one or two have ended up at LMR destinations?

I've had nose/read around but this is not an area I know much about...... :lol:

I'm not the best expert but to be honest you would have very rarely seen these off region when in red and cream. The usual suspects would have been inter-regional trains and even then it seemed the weight of providing stock for these fell to the northern regions. This is why you see many trains of all the big four stock on Southern metals but few vise versa. My impression is that the rolling stock south of the Thames was used very intensively and the sets of coaches that dominated the trains meant they were not 'wanderers'!

There was a dedicated rake[s?] of Maunsells of a similar but not exactly the same design used on the regular South coast to Birkenhead trains via Oxford and Wolverhampton. Not much help am I? but glad someone thinks that they look like proper coaches!

See 'An Illustrated History of Oldham's Railways' by John Hooper (Irwell). There is a whole rake of Maunsell coaches (twelve) at Royton Junction pictured on a Thursday just prior to Oldham Wakes in June 1958. Also a rake of ex-LMS Period I and III stock, all positioned ready for the friday night holiday exudus to the West Country, according to rhe caption. Photo credited to Oldham Evening Chronicle.

I should add the Maunsell's in the picture are green, not carmine & cream.

Not much I can add to this off the top of my head except

1) Trawl the photo albums

2) Try asking on Glen Woods' SRLHCS (Southern Region Loco Hauled Coaching Stock) Yahoo site where the detailed knowledge is excellent

In the OPC book on Southern Coaches by Mike King there is reference on page 70 to there being Maunsell sets made up for Bournemouth to Manchester, Birkenhead and Newcastle services plus BCK's in services to Bradford and Leeds. There is also mention of a Margate to Birkenhead service "later" (not sure if that is post the crimson and cream era).

They were also present on the S&D on stoppers but they were the low window 4-compartment brake sets. I am sorry if this encourages you to part with some cash!!!

Mike Arnold

In the OPC book on Southern Coaches by Mike King there is reference on page 70 to there being Maunsell sets made up for Bournemouth to Manchester, Birkenhead and Newcastle services plus BCK's in services to Bradford and Leeds. There is also mention of a Margate to Birkenhead service "later" (not sure if that is post the crimson and cream era).

They were also present on the S&D on stoppers but they were the low window 4-compartment brake sets. I am sorry if this encourages you to part with some cash!!!

Mike Arnold

Its not me that is spending the money.

Having an understanding missus is great in so many ways :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This thread has pretty well covered the OP's interest, perhaps, but this site http://www3.sympatico.ca/lsw.lbsc/00COACHS/SETREGST.HTM specifically mentions Maunsell Set 459, a 9-car, as working Bournemouth-Newcastle from 1952-1961, which covers the crimson/cream period, I think. Prior to that it seems to have been a 6-car set going to Birkenhead. Plenty of scope for use in the Midlands and north thereof!

• RMweb Gold

For workings of Maunsell coaches on to other regions, have a look at the allocation of coach sets here -

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/sets.html

Whether the Maunsell sets involved were green of crimson/cream will have to be researched further, but at least you'll be able to see what coaches were used for inter-regionals.

Archived