Ouch! RMWeb Outage

Fatal error: Class 'dp33_gsidebars_boardIndexTemplateSkinOverloader' not found in .... some directory on the server ... /publicOutput.php(3846) : eval()'d code on line 16

A long time since we have had one as bad as that!

Some upgrade!

One of the software add-on modules from an external author seems to be corrupted (why should that happen on its own when I'm driving around 20 miles from base who knows?). It took a while to isolate where the issue was through a process of elimination and remove it from the equation (it's a redundant module anyway really) to get things back up and running. I wasn't doing any upgrade work so I'm at a loss how it broke itself, if it happens whilst I'm doing something at least I stand a chance of knowing where to look first.

A PITA on a Bank Holiday Friday though!

I'm still getting to grips with the last one I got a few days ago which said - "Varnish cache server."

Anyway, I've got some good quality varnish ready to varnish the server. I'll open my PC up tonight and try and find the cache server and varnish it. Shouldn't take long.

One of the software add-on modules from an external author seems to be corrupted (why should that happen on its own

ET phoning home for an auto upgrade perhaps.

Thanks Andy for your rescue, have a peaceful and enjoyable weekend with no more interruptions.

PS. I've removed the security sensitive info from the post. (somewhere the error handler was turned off - not a good idea on the live server!)

In layman's terms, what happened?

bad programming! untrapped error ... sever death (well to the user) and more work for admin to do whe the code should have been tested by the developer in the first place.

Anyway, Andy, if that module was redundant, why was it (still) there in the first place? Case of "get-round-to-it-one-day-delay" perhaps? :dontknow:

Rule 1 of software development: If it doesn't work/has been depreciated leave it alone you never know where else in the code it has been referred to/may be useful in the future. There is plenty of memory/disk space/disk space available.

Rule 2: If it works there is always an alternative to try out that doesn't. (that will keep you employed - as a contractor; will look better; will be more elegant; will enable you to use the latest computing "fad"; will be more reusable by others - not that anyone else would really want to use it even if they knew about it)

I have never met a programmer yet (myself included) who hasn't been tempted to rewrite someone's code to make it work "better/faster"

Rule 1 of software development: If it doesn't work/has been depreciated leave it alone you never know where else in the code it has been referred to/may be useful in the future. There is plenty of memory/disk space/disk space available.

Absolutely spot on with this software!

I never let the core software or any add-ons to it auto upgrade as it would very easy to lose track very quickly. We're overdue a move to the new version of the core software but I'm hanging back to observe any issues and dreading some of the work which will be involved with the potential loss of some of the more useful add-ons.

You must expect certain things with age I'm afraid; at least you've got hair Phil.

What about using an autumn tint static grass applicator with a winter mix for sideburns ( I've found clipping the ground pin to an earring helps!) Voila ! Instant hair !!!

Archived