Rail ex 166

Edinburgh Junction

I wonder if I am alone in thinking that the modelling section is becoming merely a vehicle for advertising their own ltd/special editions ?

we have a page of editorial about the editors fondness for class 03s and about the model they have commisioned.

we have a page ad for the above

we have a page of talk about the new 37s they have commissioned

we have two page ad for the 37s they have commisioned

I used to buy the mag for the modelling section but its not worth it now.

I am inclined to agree about the modelling section, I can't remember the last one with a layout- maybe it wasn't that long ago memory not great anymore! I wonder if there is a lack of contributers (I know we have been down this road before) and if it is they have to ask themselves why no-one is offering the articles.

mark

I had a quick look through in Smiths while waiting for a train yesterday. The Class 14 review was in it and was very positive so must have had a different author from most of the more in depth reviews. I was expecting something a bit more critical from REX on that one, maybe they'll get someone to hack one up in a couple of months.

After last month's great pair of articles it is a bit limited this time, there certainly isn't a consistency of good articles available to them I don't think.

The announcement of their 03 tied in well with the review last month saying how they had missed out the bog standard blue one... Preplanned or not I don't know!

A little light this issue - both prototype and modelling sections. I still love the layout, format and quality of photography though so it keeps getting my vote. I do wonder if they suffer from their own success (in that they are a little small to run both mags in terms of keeping on top of emails and comms) in that when I've emailed them about submitting material to the modelling magazine I have not had a response. As a result my creativity has been snapped up by Model Rail (the 08/09 article).

Lunchtime I wandered to Smiff's and parted with £3.95 in exchange for Rail Express No.166.

The cover draws your attention to "FREE inside this issue 32-page diesel era modelling magazine.".

Well it's now just gone 2.00pm - I've read it, and carried out a survey of the 'modelling magazine'

And this is the result, or what the 32 pages are made up of.

PAGE No.Content

1. Front Cover

2. Modellers Mecca full page advertisement

3. Bachmann full page advertisement

4. Loughborough Model Centre full page advertisement

5. Castle Trains full page advertisement

6. Hattons full page advertisement

7. Editorial and contents

8. Rail Express Modeller Cl.37 offer

9. Ditto

10. Rail Express Cl.03 offer

11. Rail Express Cl.37/7 offer (3/4 page)

12. 3 advertisements

13. New releases mainly Hornby DVT

14. New releases mainly ‘S’Kits RHTT

15. 5 advertisements

16. Cl.33 detailing article (‘O’ gauge)

17. Ditto

18. Heljan Cl.14 review

19. Ditto

20. 5 advertisements

21. Mostyn Cl.24 detail article

22. Ditto

23. 7 advertisements

24. Exhibitions & News Extra

25. Nottingham Show – full page advert.

26. 4 advertisements

27. 3 advertisements

28. Hattons full page advertisement

29. Hattons full page advertisement

30. Hattons full page advertisement

31. Hattons full page advertisement

32. Rear cover – Hornby DVT full page advertisement

By my quick research that equates to 20.75 pages of advertisements, 4 pages of new releases and reviews and the grand total of 4 pages of modelling, comprising just 2 articles.

Allegedly, at least it's free.

Well, I'll have to find something else to tuck under my arm for the afternoon stroll along the corridor to 'trap 1'

As for James H referring to contact - I too submitted material which I felt may have formed the basis of an article, with a selection of photgraphs. My contact details were attached - including e-mail address................. response, acknowledgement - nil !

Brian R

I still love the layout, format and quality of photography though so it keeps getting my vote. I do wonder if they suffer from their own success (in that they are a little small to run both mags in terms of keeping on top of emails and comms) in that when I've emailed them about submitting material to the modelling magazine I have not had a response. As a result my creativity has been snapped up by Model Rail (the 08/09 article).

I wonder if perhaps they are also a bit too picky over modelling articles/layouts in order to maintain the high standards they obviously aspire to. It does seem that the modelling content is either as high as or better than the P4 Mostyn stuff. It puts me off submitting as it's almost impossible to hit those standards/fidelity in N gauge modelling. However, overall the magazine does exude quality; photography, layout, finish,.... and I've just re-newed my subscription again.

G.

Well you may be right Grahame, I don't really like mostyn that much ( as said before) but that is a combination of supposed attitude from the contributor and to be honest it's just a big roundy roundy with little in the way of structures.

I have to take the view that the main mag needs to be good enough on it's own ascthe Rex modellers bit is not really worth it, although I do still like the design and photography

I wonder if perhaps they are also a bit too picky over modelling articles/layouts in order to maintain the high standards they obviously aspire to. It does seem that the modelling content is either as high as or better than the P4 Mostyn stuff. It puts me off submitting as it's almost impossible to hit those standards/fidelity in N gauge modelling. However, overall the magazine does exude quality; photography, layout, finish,.... and I've just re-newed my subscription again.

G.

An rmweb member had his N gauge layout published in REX before now, pre privatisation southern region though i've forgotten its name.

James' stuff would certainly hit the standard of Mostyn imho and Brian could certainly have written a very informative article given the useful content he has provided on here. In any case a response is only polite even if to decline the offer.

Archived