Do models exist of these trains?

badders68

I am very new to all of this and I am not quite sure where to look to see if models exist or even if I have identified these trains correctly.

I have seen a number of photographs connected to trains that came through Exmouth and as it is this area that I am considering collecting for, I wondered if any were known to even exist as models.

The ones I can sort of identify are below. It would be interesting to know if any exist as models. Many thanks in advance, if anyone can offer any help.

Thanks also to the person who posted the pictures on Facebook - it has really helped me gather some ideas.

BR Standard 3MT 2-6-2T 82017 

Southern 187 (???) Steam engine

LSWR 415 class 30583

BR standard 3MT class locomotive 82019

steam train 41307

2-6-2T steam locomotive 82022

Class 155 diesel

These diesel trains?

post-27063-0-94205500-1440962082_thumb.jpg

post-27063-0-72446400-1440962357_thumb.jpg

post-27063-0-05694000-1440962448_thumb.jpg

post-27063-0-37532400-1440962764_thumb.jpg

post-27063-0-35870500-1440962960_thumb.jpg

post-27063-0-84098600-1440963052_thumb.jpg

post-27063-0-64185100-1440963281_thumb.jpg

What on earth was this?

post-27063-0-81714200-1440962190_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Most of those are, or soon will be, available as ready-to-run models in 4mm scale/OO (although you would need to do some renumbering).

The Swindon Cross-Country DMUs are only available as a kit (DC Kits).

The peculiar track maintenance vehicle is an ex-US army truck. I think that you would only find that in 1:87 or 1:72 scale.

• RMweb Premium

The US truck is a Diamond T, originally a tank transporter tractor. Matchbox did a plastic kit in 1/76 (4mm/foot) but it had a hard top cab. The kit can be found second hand and a soft top cab conversion kit is available from Scale Link.

The last photo is a conversion of a Diamond T tank transporter tractor, built in the U.S. during WW2 but for the British Army and to a British Army specification. They were used well into the 1950's, maybe even 60's, and many went into civilian use as heavy haulage tractors. There were hard top and, as in the photo, soft top versions. I've never seen that rail conversion though, fascinating.

A plastic kit was available from Matchbox and Revell, same kit, different boxes, they come up frequently on eBay and Oxford Diecast currently have one in their range. It'd make nice conversion project.

Edit: Pete beat me to it whilst I was typing.

• RMweb Premium

The US truck is a Diamond T, originally a tank transporter tractor. Matchbox did a plastic kit in 1/76 (4mm/foot) but it had a hard top cab. The kit can be found second hand and a soft top cab conversion kit is available from Scale Link.

Never mind the Diamond T 980, what about the Derby suburban unit behind it in early blue with small yellas?

I am very new to all of this and I am not quite sure where to look to see if models exist or even if I have identified these trains correctly.

I have seen a number of photographs connected to trains that came through Exmouth and as it is this area that I am considering collecting for, I wondered if any were known to even exist as models.

The ones I can sort of identify are below. It would be interesting to know if any exist as models. Many thanks in advance, if anyone can offer any help.

Thanks also to the person who posted the pictures on Facebook - it has really helped me gather some ideas.

BR Standard 3MT 2-6-2T 82017 

Southern 187 (???) Steam engine

LSWR 415 class 30583

BR standard 3MT class locomotive 82019

steam train 41307

2-6-2T steam locomotive 82022

All 82xxx,31853 ( SR class N), 41307 ( Ivatt 2-6-2T - new tooling release due soon -hope!) - Bachmann

30583 (Adams Radial), Southern 187 & 30199 (Adams O2) - 'DJM Dave' of this forum could (?) possibly tell you more or have a word with Kernow Model Rail Centre. 

30323 M7 Hornby.

All 82xxx,31853 ( SR class N), 41307 ( Ivatt 2-6-2T - new tooling release due soon -hope!) - Bachmann

30583 (Adams Radial), Southern 187 & 30199 (Adams O2) - 'DJM Dave' of this forum could (?) possibly tell you more or have a word with Kernow Model Rail Centre. 

30323 M7 Hornby.

Thank you v much for your reply and help. Much appreciated.

The picture (and others) appears in the Middleton Press book  Branchlines to Exmouth.

It was taken on 31st August 1968 when the truck was being used to recover materials from the closed line to Budleigh Salterton and Sidmouth Junction,

cheers

The picture (and others) appears in the Middleton Press book  Branchlines to Exmouth.

It was taken on 31st August 1968 when the truck was being used to recover materials from the closed line to Budleigh Salterton and Sidmouth Junction,

cheers

So it was a contractor's vehicle then ?

So it was a contractor's vehicle then ?

Yes, that is my understanding of the caption. I think it is standing on the loco shed road, which by then may have been disconnected from the 'main' line.

The Budleigh Salterton / Tipton St. Johns route had been normally worked by class O2 locos, than later by Ivatt 2MT tanks and BR  Standard 3MT tanks and finally DMUs.

cheers

The Diamond T is fascinating- never seen or heard of that before. Where did the picture come from please? I'd like to share it elsewhere online if I can. A friend of mine has restored one over the last few years (a hard cab variant). Looks like that one has been re- engined from the bulge in the bonnet side. The British army fitted Rolls Royce engines to quite a few, they were originally Hercules 6cyl diesels.

The Diamond T is fascinating- never seen or heard of that before. Where did the picture come from please? I'd like to share it elsewhere online if I can. A friend of mine has restored one over the last few years (a hard cab variant). Looks like that one has been re- engined from the bulge in the bonnet side. The British army fitted Rolls Royce engines to quite a few, they were originally Hercules 6cyl diesels.

It looks very much like a crop of a picture by S P Derek in the Middleton Press book Branchlines to Exmouth 

cheers

Does anyone know were the Diamond T was photographed?

Exmouth, the photographer is standing east of the platforms, the DIamond T is standing on the siding leading to the loco shed, with the cab facing towards Exeter.

If it is not the same picture as the one in the Middleton Press book the photographer must have been looking over  the shouder of S P Derek,

If you were to take the picture today you would need to stand in the middle of Marine Way

The DMU in the background is standing at the one platform that remains in use, 

cheers

cheers

• RMweb Premium

Exmouth, the photographer is standing east of the platforms, the DIamond T is standing on the siding leading to the loco shed, with the cab facing towards Exeter.

If it is not the same picture as the one in the Middleton Press book the photographer must have been looking over  the shouder of S P Derek,

If you were to take the picture today you would need to stand in the middle of Marine Way

The DMU in the background is standing at the one platform that remains in use, 

cheers

cheers

The Diamond T will most likely have belonged to a contractor involved in the lifting the line to Budleigh Salterton etc. The container wagon behind it looks like it has bottles for the scrapping torch on it as well.

I remember now hearing or reading somewhere of a contractor using a modified Diamond T for dismantling closed railways.

Archived