Rail Warrants

Bon Accord

It's been many a long year since I was last issued a rail warrant, never mind used one in anger, however my present employer (knowing I prefer to travel by train) is making noises about issuing me with Rail Warrants in future as opposed to myself buying tickets and then claiming them back using our somewhat protracted expenses process.

Are modern day warrants exchanged for full price (Anytime) tickets, or are the tickets at a discounted rate?

The reason I ask is that some years back I endured a brief sojourn working in the North Sea oil industry and whilst there I was issued warrants which were then exchanged for tickets which displayed the legend "Offshore Return" under the "Ticket Type" in the top left corner - I was led to believe these tickets were in fact discounted.

Rail warrants: in the 'Old Days', BPTC always issued you with a warrant when travelling to join a ship, whether in the UK or overseas.

Not only that but on occasion the girls in the office occasionally forgot to fill in the appropriate bits about class/destination etc which could lead to a slightly more salubrious journey than usual - naturally it was only senior officers who were granted first class travel!

• RMweb Premium

We used to have a book of warrants in the Police Station safe.  Occasionally we used to issue them to stranded people once their relatives had deposited the required amount at a police station in their destination town/city.  

Jamie

Jim

Our company is trying to stop staff using Warrants, simply because of cost.

If you book your ticket a week or more in advance with debit/credit card, the ticket cost will usually be cheaper (can be significantly cheaper) than using a rail warrant on the day of travel. The problem is staff then have to reclaim the ticket cost through expenses, which can be hassle!

Paul

Not only that but on occasion the girls in the office occasionally forgot to fill in the appropriate bits about class/destination etc which could lead to a slightly more salubrious journey than usual - naturally it was only senior officers who were granted first class travel!

Never for me!

I seem to remember from my ticket office days an Offshore return was the same price as a saver return but the return portion was valid for 2 calendar months instead of 1. I think they were only available from stations in Scotland to Aberdeen or Dyce. I may be mistaken.

• RMweb Premium

Having issued/processed many a rail warrant on board my trains over the years (mostly from the local Open Prison but there are a few others, mostly Governmental orgnaisations) I can tell you they can be a very expensive way for tickets to be purchased.

More often than not the person filling in the warrant fails to fill in the 'via' part as a result more often than not the full fat any permitted full fare ticket has to be issued.  For the holder of the warrant they are usually not in the least bit bothered however I am betting their company accountants are not so happy all for want of a couple of words written on the warrant when it is issued, the difference can be as little as a pound or two or as much as hundreds.

I haven't seen any MOD warrants for a long time now though, I don't think they are even issued anymore.

Archived