Railcomplus protocol

berry120

Hi all,

I notice that Railcom was standardised by the NMRA some time ago and as such has a rather detailed protocol document here: http://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/s-9.3.2_2012_12_10.pdf

However, I can't find such a document for Railcomplus at all - an extension to railcom that automatically identifies locomotives placed on the track. I'm aware this doesn't seem to be a NMRA standard (yet), but there's decoders out there that support it (such as the Bachmann 36-556 and most Lenz's) so I'm assuming the information must be *somewhere*.

Has anyone got any idea where I might find such a document?

Many thanks!

Ask Lenz and ESU.   Together they own/control the RailCom Plus information.    Its not currently anything to do with the NMRA, and may remain that way, as it gives Lenz/ESU a technical edge over other companies.    

A few years ago, this caused Zimo to complain strongly(*) about ESU/Lenz and their apparent stranglehold on RailCom Plus and the requirement of licensees to disclose their intentions (thus giving Lenz/ESU early notice of a new products, but not reciprocating by announcing Lenz/ESU products to other licensees). 

(* last page of, and then dig through the history via other sites   http://www.zimo.at/web2010/newsletters/ZIMO%20Newsletter%202011%20Juli_EN.pdf )

- Nigel

It's actually the 36-566  (not -556), which I believe is a rebadged ESU LokPilot Standard.

Doh, my bad - thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for the replies all - I've fired off emails to ESU and Lenz and will see what replies I get!

Out of interest, does anyone know of any open standard that offers similar functionality (the auto-detection of locos on a layout) or is this the domain of the closed protocols at present?

Out of interest, does anyone know of any open standard that offers similar functionality (the auto-detection of locos on a layout) or is this the domain of the closed protocols at present?

Railcom plus as far as I can see is an extension

When you place any railcom enabled loco on a dcc track ( with cutoff ) the global Railcom detector will receive all the addresses , even locomotives that the command station doesn't know about. However, the address broadcast gets corrupted due to all the unknown locos clashing. ( unknown locos are loco that have received no commands )

To resolve the unknown locos, this requires a non standard command station, which would periodically scan unused loco addresses allowing the railcom detector to determine the actual locos on the track. Railcomplus requires a custom railcomplus command station

At about 100 dcc packets a second , and assuming it was interleaved , it might takes a few minutes to scan the whole address range ( or a large subset )

If the goal is fast loco ( unknown) ID detection, then placing the unknown loco on an track section with its own local railcom detector will reveal the loco ID immediately

Archived