Are reasons for retracted bids visible?

pH

I've been watching an item, which had two bids on it (neither were mine). Two days ago, one was withdrawn. Now, today, the second has been withdrawn. There are no questions/answers on the listing. I understand that bidders have to fill in a form giving a reason before being allowed to withdraw a bid.

Is there any way that someone other than the bidder or seller can see the reason for a withdrawn bid? I might still be interested in bidding if the item is genuine - obviously I suspect that's the reason for the withdrawn bids.

• RMweb Gold

Even if forms are filled in I doubt ebay do anything about it eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-THOMAS-TANK-ENGINE-GOODS-WAGONS-X-5-/231670907288

The 'winner' has 28 bid retractions in last 30 days and 119 in last 6 months........   IMHO the people who do it a lot are looking to see what the current high bidder/reserve price is.  eg item curr @ £75 with a reserve.  You put in a bid for £500 and then immediately withdraw it, having found out what the reserve is. 

Even if forms are filled in I doubt ebay do anything about it eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-THOMAS-TANK-ENGINE-GOODS-WAGONS-X-5-/231670907288

The 'winner' has 28 bid retractions in last 30 days and 119 in last 6 months........   IMHO the people who do it a lot are looking to see what the current high bidder/reserve price is.  eg item curr @ £75 with a reserve.  You put in a bid for £500 and then immediately withdraw it, having found out what the reserve is. 

Yes, that's one probable reason.

Another is that it is a clone of the seller or a friend who bids high against a 'genuine ' bidder to find out that person's highest bid. Similar approach, bid very high, check the opposition then withdraw. The seller's clone or another acting as agent then bids just below the genuine bidders highest, and the 'winner' is forced to pay at their maximum.

Paul

The 'winner' has 28 bid retractions in last 30 days and 119 in last 6 months........   IMHO the people who do it a lot are looking to see what the current high bidder/reserve price is.  eg item curr @ £75 with a reserve.  You put in a bid for £500 and then immediately withdraw it, having found out what the reserve is

So doesn't the bid revert to the previous bid?

If not that same ploy could be used to escalte automatic bids to their highest point.

eg. genuine bidder A puts in a bid of £100 increasing the item current highest bid to £10, Bad bidder comes along with a bid of £500 and then retracts it. Genuine bidder now has to pay £100 for an item he would otherwise have obtained for £10 !!! Once the bad bid has been retracted it should go back to £10.

[Ed.] Sorry Paul, great minds think alike but I'm slow typing ;)

Another is that it is a clone of the seller or a friend who bids high against a 'genuine ' bidder to find out that person's highest bid. Similar approach, bid very high, check the opposition then withdraw. The seller's clone or another acting as agent then bids just below the genuine bidders highest, and the 'winner' is forced to pay at their maximum.

Having looked at it a bit more, I think that's what's happened here. One buyer - 100% positive feedback on over 2700 items; other buyer - 0% feedback (!!!???) on 20 items. Buyer A actually cancelled first bid, tried another one, (I think) realised what was happening when Buyer B cancelled his bid, said "S*d this for a game" and left.

Much as I'd like this item, I have now deployed my 10-foot tarry bargepole!

Having looked at it a bit more, I think that's what's happened here. One buyer - 100% positive feedback on over 2700 items; other buyer - 0% feedback (!!!???) on 20 items. Buyer A actually cancelled first bid, tried another one, (I think) realised what was happening when Buyer B cancelled his bid, said "S*d this for a game" and left.

Much as I'd like this item, I have now deployed my 10-foot tarry bargepole!

Here one some shyster tried on me.

An item I really wanted (needed!) so I placed my max bid as £400, well above the actual value. Some 'genuine' steady bids creeping up from 99p start. In the last few seconds, a bid was made which beat mine, I don't know this person's high bid though of course onlythe one which beat my top bid was shown. Not that unusual. Someone even more desparate than me, so good luck to them.

Within 10 minutes I had a 'second chance' message. The bidder had defaulted and so I had been offered the chance to buy at my top bid. I offered to pay my bid price at the point when this defaulting bidder jumped in.

Bluff having been called, I heard no more.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I had someone bid way over the odds for two separate lots, both Bachmann wagons I sold last year, their bid went in at the very last second.  Two minutes later if that the buyer messages me to say he had bid by mistake, had no interest in the wagon whatsoever and insisted I cancelled the sale or he would report me to Ebay!!!.  I reported this comedian to Ebay (for all the good that will do as they clearly don't actually give a toss) and straight onto my banned bidders list.  I don't like tyre kickers and time wasters!!!!

I think the idea is that if a bid is retracted, then *all* bids by the retractor are also cancelled, bringing the actual bid back down to the level it would have been before the shill bidder got involved.

Yes, but it still leaves it at the maximum genuine bid?

I have also been subject of one of the second chance offers, and the offer neer seems to come in at the previous maximum position only at the maximum bid.

When reading the ebay notes on retracting bids I think the timing of the retraction seems to have an impact on whether all of the retractor's bids are removed.

Yes, but it still leaves it at the maximum genuine bid?....

That's similar to what I've seen in the recent past, and if the maximum genuine bid was quite low, then it is a noticeable drop. It also leaves the genuine bidder exposed to a certain extent, because the removal of all the non-genuine / shill bids leaves the trail of bids by the genuine bidder open for all to see unless the genuine bidder carries out a retraction of his / her own trail and replaces it with a single bid.

Archived