Bachmann Class 66

ELTEL

• RMweb Premium

Over the years I have managed to loose many of the screws of which there are four securing the chassis to the body of my fleet of class 66s

I emailed Bachmann who advised me they don't stock them (a bit surprised at that) and that I try EBay which I have done.

Bachmann advised me that they were 1.5mm x 10mm

The nearest size I could find were 1.5mm x 8 mm (but guest what they are to short)

Does any one no wher I can obtain them.

Many thanks

Terry

Hi Terry, 

I agree, I find it incredibly mental that Bachmann cannot supply replacement screws for their units. I've had a look at few of the suppliers we use at work (granted typically use M3 and up) but they usually do a whole host of things! 

I've found a 1.6mm Dia screw in 10mm but its stainless steel and from the states (i think) care of ebay

Hope this helps?

Thanks

Ali

How many class 66s do you have. I know I have lost screws (que the few screws loose jokes...) but just have some 66 with less in. The Body on top sits fine. Can you not have two 66s with two screws in. 

Have to also add, that this model really still looks good and is a great runner on the layout. I have several machines from the various companies on the mainline today. 

Its doubtful if you're careful whether you need all the screws, as already said. Some years ago I came to dismantle a Bachmann 25, to discover the factory had only fitted 2 of the 4 screws. This also applies to some wagons and coaches.

What is more important is that you don't overtighten the screws you do have, thereby sheering the thread so that they don't grip. Having a self tapping metal screw in a moulded plastic tube is frankly a pretty rubbish practice, and it needs to be treated gently!

John.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all your replies, I have as you say on some locomotives fitted less than four which seems fine.

Still think it's strange that Bachmann could not supply.

Terry

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Id expect 66779 and possibly 66749 to be announced and released within the next 12 months. Will be great to add to the GWR Theme diesel fleet, joining 47079, 47484, 47500, 47628, 50007, 57604, & 60081. Could make up quite the GWR-Themed diesel fleet with that lot.

Archived