Dapol Semaphore Signals

gwr5786

So what has happened to Dapol's semaphore signals? They were probably the first company to produce working mechanical signals, they looked pretty good and had no competition. Loads of variations were talked about (BR WR round post for example) and various bracket arrangements but what has happened?

I spoke to someone from Dapol at the Warley show last year and they said spring 2015.

• 3 weeks later...

Are they all the same scale? The lattice on the right looks to have a totally different size (and better shaped) arm to the rail built one. They'll be quite nice if they can paint the arms better than previous attempts....

JF

If I remember correctly (and that is no guarantee), the signal on the right is a platform started signal and will only come with one colour of arm. I think you are right that the centre signal is a Southern signal. I also remember that the new mechanism that will sit under the baseboard will be about the size of a fag packet, as described to us, and it will also allow you to vary the brightness of the light in the signal.

• RMweb Gold

I also remember that the new mechanism that will sit under the baseboard will be about the size of a fag packet, as described to us

5 Park Drive (or Woodbines) or 20 Benson & Hedges (or Dunhill)?  Problem is that over the years cigarette packets have come in various sizes and shapes, and still do.

• RMweb Premium

5 Park Drive (or Woodbines) or 20 Benson & Hedges (or Dunhill)?  Problem is that over the years cigarette packets have come in various sizes and shapes, and still do.

Can you still buy Cigarettes? Lol  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Must get my eyes tested, in the picture, the one on the right looks like a bog-standard S.R. rail-built platform-end starter.

I originally replied the same but the post looks slightly different however happy to see a better view to confirm either way

• RMweb Gold

The one on the right has a different 'cap' (I daren't call it a finial!!) from the obviously railbuilt one in the middle.  They all seem to suffer from some oddities in terms of proportions but regrettably that was a problem with the earlier ones as well which on the GWR version suffered from a mixture of being overscale in some dimensions and underscale in others.

The photo was taken at the Members Day and they were in the display cabinet with lots of other stuff. I tried to remember the details as best as I could but I cannot guarantee my memory being perfect. I was just trying help other members of RMWeb who would not have seen the latest developments.

Edwin C.

The photo was taken at the Members Day and they were in the display cabinet with lots of other stuff. I tried to remember the details as best as I could but I cannot guarantee my memory being perfect. I was just trying help other members of RMWeb who would not have seen the latest developments.

Edwin C.

And much appreciated too! I didn't realize it was a members day thingy so many thanks for posting the pic. It just seemed a bit weird that the 2 people running shop hadn't a clue about them..

Cheers

JF

• 4 weeks later...

Somehow, I am wondering whether the promised bracket signals will ever see the light of day ?   At the Warley show last year I was told by the Dapol guy that they would be available early 2015 !   That time has slipped by 12 months so what's the problem?

I have been led to understand that DCC Concepts might have some in development so I am keeping a close eye on their website. Maybe Richard will have some news at this year's Warley show.

Archived