Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Cheers everyone, really appreciate the positive feedback!

I'm glad you liked the platforms - I must admit I was quite pleased with how they've turned out - it was something of a labour of love and they were built over a series of weeks. The surfaces were created by applying a thin coat of polyfilla onto mountcard - this dried to quite a stone like finish and appears to have tiny particles of grit in it which help to give a slightly rough texture. I then applied a uniform grey acrylic and airbrushed darker and lighter shades in the likely 'heavy traffic' areas. Finally, I hand painted various patches with lighter or darker shades to represent the usual repairs and patchwork appearance of old tarmac. Also found rubbing the surface with a cloth soaked in a very thin wash of darker colour seemed to work quite well.

Pete, thanks ever so much for the hints and tips re 3rd rail - I have laid some before but not a great deal, so your advice will definitely come in handy. Next stages are to finish the ballasting and track weathering, and then I hope to tackle some of the 3rd rail this weekend, if I can muster the motivation!

Thanks again to all for the kind comments, much appreciated.

I wish I'd seen this sooner!!

Great work

AHA......welcome back to your thread

Work is a b'hatch isn't it, getting in the way of the hobby.

Will be watching     :O

Cheers Paul - yeh work is indeed a pain. I have to laugh when people say "If I won the lottery I'd still carry on going to work, I need something to occupy my time" - I'm thinking no way, I'd have plenty of things to occupy my time! A giant model railway project for a start!! But back in the real world, it's plodding on and getting bits done here and there when I can :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all - just the one picture update and a call for help as well! :D  Work is progressing on the embankment alongside the down siding and mainlines, south of the station. I've built all of the hillside and am now adding earth scatter, before finally the undergrowth and trees will be added. To be honest I can't wait to get a bit of greenery on here, as it looks a bit barren and desert like at the moment. Greenery will be in various layers - looking at photos of this area there is long grass, weeds, ivy, small plants, large plants, bushes and then finally trees. It could get very expensive very quickly so I am keen to try and make sure I get things right and do everything in the right order!

post-23547-0-82996800-1486081356_thumb.jpg

One of the many concrete 'alcoves' that appear along the lineside between the station and tunnel entrance. Without the greenery it looks a bit strange, but I hope to add some weeds and ivy from Silflor/Mininatur in due course. Any suggestions on greenery would be gratefully received

And now the call for help - does anyone know what these are, and whether there are OO gauge versions anywhere? My suspicion is that they have something to do with AWS, but knowing very little about permanent way and lineside stuff I could do with some guidance from those in the know!

post-23547-0-05072200-1486081334_thumb.jpg

Edited by tjf4375
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi there,

These most likely are points heater 'mushrooms'. These are used to feed the elements that prevent the switch and stock rails freezing.

As to who makes them, I can't help you, but a nice wee starter scratchbuilding project!

Gaz.

And now the call for help - does anyone know what these are, and whether there are OO gauge versions anywhere? My suspicion is that they have something to do with AWS, but knowing very little about permanent way and lineside stuff I could do with some guidance from those in the know!

attachicon.gif016.JPG

I knew someone would have the answer! - I've had a look at the Knightwing ones and they do look reasonable although I may have a go at scratch building just for the challenge!

Thanks for the info Gaz and Pete :)

Edit - Rich, sorry replied before seeing your post - I'll definitely take a look at SJP

Edited by tjf4375

Hi all - quick update, I decided to have a go at scratchbuilding these strange objects! I've since learned that they are technically known as points heating transformers, and even found a company that supplies them to Network Rail!  http://www.blakley.co.uk/transformers/points-heating-transformers

Thanks again to everyone for the info which was really helpful. I'm not sure what you'll think of my scratchbuilding attempt but these were mighty fiddly to make. I think they've come out ok and from a distance they do look half convincing so I'm happy :)

post-23547-0-81696800-1486512451_thumb.jpg

post-23547-0-55405200-1486512452_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Hi folks - sorry another quick update but work has been progressing on the down embankment between the station and tunnel entrance. Finally got round to adding a bit of greenery today at ground level, and I was quite pleased with the result. It seemed to make the world of difference! I've still got some static grasses and other bits and bobs to add, but it's looking a bit more interesting than before. The next stage is to add the trees themselves, for which I'm slowly stockpiling lots of seafoam and foliage material. Comments and suggestions more than welcome as always.

post-23547-0-41216600-1489019660_thumb.jpg

Ivy and weeds growing around the cabinet alcove. The cable trunking is missing here, I ran out of it but wanted to make a start on the greenery anyway! It will be added later

post-23547-0-95316600-1489019660_thumb.jpg

A row of relay cabinets. The track in the foreground is the down 'gusset' siding - still awaiting the third rail!

post-23547-0-45315000-1489019661_thumb.jpg

Grass and weeds growing around the point motor heater transformers and relay cabinets.

• Like 16

The points heating transformers look very good. The scenery is impressive too.

Just before I took early retirement I was refusing to take the new points heating installation into maintenance until a few issues had been sorted.

See pics below from my last visit.

post-1373-0-89902000-1489059754_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-15202500-1489059780_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 2

Thanks Lyddrail!

Love the pics, thanks for posting those - this is an area that I've had great difficulty getting photos of - obvsiously as I don't work on the railways I've had to take videos/pictures from the train window as it goes past, but on several occasions as is absolutely typical, another train has ended up being in the way and I've wasted a whole journey! If you had any more pictures of this area I'd be really grateful as they may help to fill in some gaps! :)

Thanks Lyddrail!

Love the pics, thanks for posting those - this is an area that I've had great difficulty getting photos of - obvsiously as I don't work on the railways I've had to take videos/pictures from the train window as it goes past, but on several occasions as is absolutely typical, another train has ended up being in the way and I've wasted a whole journey! If you had any more pictures of this area I'd be really grateful as they may help to fill in some gaps! :)

I will sort some more pics, I have to reduce them as they were off my old work I phone.

One more pic below of a rock that had fallen down to the cess.

post-1373-0-54570400-1489089830_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 2

Technically the ballast probably is slightly over scale, yes. When planning the layout I did consider using n gauge ballast, but personally I find to my eye that it is a little too 'gritty' and slightly under-scale. Somewhere between oo and n ballast is probably the sweet spot, but when weighing up I went with the Woodland scenics medium blend, which I'm quite happy with. All of the track will be receiving some sleeper grime weathering at some point, which I'm hoping will help to tone down the contrast of the granules and blend it all together a bit.

I'm not aiming for 100% realism here - this is my first major layout project so I'm learning as I go with a lot of this stuff but generally if something looks good to my eye, it doesn't keep me awake at night if it's technically incorrect! I know that will have the obsessive rivet counters up in arms! :jester: 

Thanks for the feedback :)

• Like 1

Hi folks - sorry another quick update but work has been progressing on the down embankment between the station and tunnel entrance. Finally got round to adding a bit of greenery today at ground level, and I was quite pleased with the result. It seemed to make the world of difference! I've still got some static grasses and other bits and bobs to add, but it's looking a bit more interesting than before. The next stage is to add the trees themselves, for which I'm slowly stockpiling lots of seafoam and foliage material. Comments and suggestions more than welcome as always.

attachicon.gifgreen1.jpg

Ivy and weeds growing around the cabinet alcove. The cable trunking is missing here, I ran out of it but wanted to make a start on the greenery anyway! It will be added later

attachicon.gifgreen2.jpg

A row of relay cabinets. The track in the foreground is the down 'gusset' siding - still awaiting the third rail!

attachicon.gifgreen3.jpg

Grass and weeds growing around the point motor heater transformers and relay cabinets.

Hi Mate,

what colour did you use on the electrical boxes? i think you got it spot on! :)

Hi Mate,

what colour did you use on the electrical boxes? i think you got it spot on! :)

Thanks mate! It's just a very light grey really - I mixed it specially so can't give you a code or anything but start with white and keep adding drops of black until you hit the right shade! :)

Edited by tjf4375

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Really enjoying following this - can I ask what product you use for your brown scatter undercoat on the embankments?

I've painted mine brown in the past before adding green - but this method looks better.

regards,

James