Hey folks!

The last few updates have focused mostly on the southern end of the station, but with good progress being made there, construction efforts have been moved to the north end! As you'll know the station is partly characterised by a road bridge that crosses the platform ends at an angle - this is London Road, which runs past the entrance to the station, over the railway line and then off in the general direction of Dunton Green.

Design and construction of this bridge for the layout has caused a bit of a headache - there are two aggravating factors, first being the compression of distances, and second being the additional pointwork and double slip that I have added to the junction to allow trains to run into all platforms from both the main fiddle yards. What this means is that the stone piers that stand at the end of each platform cannot extend all the way back under the bridge, otherwise they would collide with some trains using the pointwork. This is a compromise that I felt would not harm the visual effect of this area too much, because the station side of the bridge will be unaffected. The north side of the bridge however will not look exactly as in real life, because the back of the platform piers will not be visible.

Anyway sorry about all the waffle! The first of the two platform piers has 'a-pier-ed' (sorry) - I've used Wills SSMP200 'Coarse Stone' sheet to make these, which I must say I'm really impressed with - the texture and depth of detail in the mouldings is really good. It is quite difficult to cut though! I painted the sheet with a base coat of a sort of 'biscuity' colour, and then layered a number of amber and dark brown/grey washes over the top, as well as some drybrushing and dabbing with both cream and dark brown colours. There's a bit of sludge green thrown in for the moss too! I'm really pleased with how this has turned out, it did take some time to get it to this stage though!

Anyway hope you like the pics and comments/feedback/suggestions/criticism are always welcome! :)

post-23547-0-10335200-1447361963_thumb.jpg

post-23547-0-68395500-1447361963_thumb.jpg

post-23547-0-19284400-1447361964_thumb.jpg

As looking north from between platforms. You can see the pointwork diverging to the left which has required the shortening of the pier. The piece of card represents the full width of the road bridge.

post-23547-0-77378300-1447361964_thumb.jpg

As seen from west side of station - I've just noticed how many stray bits of ballast there are on this bit of track :O

post-23547-0-35294300-1447361965_thumb.jpg

Overview - the textured plasticard was cut to shape and lined up against card formers, to ensure that they would end up being level. The card former for the other pier is seen behind.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi, the bridge is looking good, and I have always felt that the bridge at Sevenoaks Station was one of the first things that made me feel that you were out in the country and not on the outskirts of London, the road under bridge at Riverhead on the A25 is of the same stone. It seems to be a departure from the usual brick, and I just wonder why this was used in these locations. All the best Adrian.

post-17489-0-94818400-1447587381_thumb.jpg

Edited by westerhamstation

Thanks Adrian - yes it does look somewhat out of place, I've often wondered why they used that stone although it does provide a bit of warmth and character to the bridge I think. You're right, it does very much remind you that you're still in Kentish countryside! :)

Just out of interest, I had a look at some other bridges just north of the station, and it appears that they too were built of the same stone - maybe someone ordered a job lot by mistake!

The bridge just north of the junction is not in general use, but connects a road in the industrial estate to the other side - it is a curved arch design of the same stone:

post-23547-0-73336100-1447590790_thumb.jpg

And just a bit further north, Shoreham Lane crosses the line, and the parapets appear to be of the same stone:

post-23547-0-35347900-1447590791_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The stone is probably the local Kentish ragstone form the lower greensand belts, a limestone which is a grey/green in colour. The greensand belt runs along below the chalk bed and emerges to the south of the North Downs. There were several quarries, especially around Maidstone, although only one is now apparently active. Many buildings along this band are built with similar stone, such as the relatively nearby Ightham Mote as well as Knole House in Sevenoaks and many local churches, including the main parish church in Sevenoaks.

Neil

Hi folks,

The bridge is still progressing well, so I thought I'd post a couple more pics to let you know how it's going!

This has been a bit of a nightmare if I'm honest, I had to make the central pier twice, as the first one was too wide and trains were fouling it. Thankfully although a tight fit, the new one is narrow enough to allow trains through without any problems.

The outermost piers are still to be done, but it's now starting to feel more like Sevenoaks at this end! :)

post-23547-0-07364800-1447979525_thumb.jpg

Overview. Some platform resurfacing is needed now, not sure how that happened!

post-23547-0-56983600-1447979525_thumb.jpg

This one is very blurry, but I liked the viewing angle and the way the lines sweep round behind the bridge :) Incidentally the boxes piled up in the background are to stop the cat walking all over the ballasting.

post-23547-0-08454300-1447979526_thumb.jpg

Another view looking northbound.

• Like 10

Hi, the bridge is looking good, and I have always felt that the bridge at Sevenoaks Station was one of the first things that made me feel that you were out in the country and not on the outskirts of London, the road under bridge at Riverhead on the A25 is of the same stone. It seems to be a departure from the usual brick, and I just wonder why this was used in these locations. All the best Adrian.

Some of the reasons to wonder ?

http://www.semgonline.com/structures/struct_04.html

You have to be proud of that.

Thanks Bogie! :) It's a long way from being perfect but I'm quite pleased with the overall effect. I really like the Wills plastic sheet as well - I think I got lucky with that as it seems to match the stonework of the prototype quite well!

Very nice work here!! :paint:

Cheers! :)

Looks like Sevenoaks to me, very nice. All the best Adrian.

Thanks Adrian, much appreciated :)

Ha ha! That's awesome, thanks loads for posting that real pic - is that the VSOE? When Dapol finally manage to release their Class 73, I'm going to try and recreate that photo :)

I am extremely impressed with the bridge supports. Looks exactly how it is!

I like ve looking at old photos and whenever i see them, i wonder if i was working that day.

Thanks Blue! The bridge seems to look slightly different in every photo I see -  I think the stonework is very sensitive to the changing weather and seasons, so it seems to look darker and dingier in the autumn/winter months!

It must be bringing back a lot of memories seeing some of these old pics!

• RMweb Gold

The stone is probably the local Kentish ragstone form the lower greensand belts, a limestone which is a grey/green in colour. The greensand belt runs along below the chalk bed and emerges to the south of the North Downs. There were several quarries, especially around Maidstone, although only one is now apparently active. Many buildings along this band are built with similar stone, such as the relatively nearby Ightham Mote as well as Knole House in Sevenoaks and many local churches, including the main parish church in Sevenoaks.

Neil

Not to mention the imposing station at sleepy Wateringbury.
  • Like 2

Congratulations on a thoroughly impressive model. I won't repeat the previous praise in case you head swells too much.

You've captured it really nicely. This morning was the first time I've read through the whole thread.

The time period chosen gives plenty of scope for variety. The section towards the tunnel was quite interesting. The Gangers Hut had its own siding with a trailing connection to the Down Main line. Used only under possession, it was clipped and padlocked for normal working. However it was unusual in that it was fitted with a point handle. The short siding housed small trolleys to allow easy access to the tunnel for essential works.

There was also a short siding at the North end, again with a trailing connection, that for years housed a 'red carded' salmon, I wonder when that was removed?

I worked 'The Papers' a few times and Sevenoaks was unusual in having its own platform, saved lugging the bundles of papers over the footbridge. The train was normally an ED, BSK, CCT (fitted with benches for the staff who sorted and bundled papers en-route) and three Van B's (8 wheelers) on the rear.

Sevenoaks traincrew had the nickname '83 Squadron', from the headcode of the services via Bat and Ball. If I close my eyes I can smell a freshly painted EPB, especially if it had been left 'cut in', a warm quite pleasant smell. The 'New' trains don't have that real train smell.

I've added it to my 'followed' list and look forward to the next episode.

Edited by The Bigbee Line
  • Like 1

... is that the VSOE? When Dapol finally manage to release their Class 73, I'm going to try and recreate that photo :)

Yes, the VSOE in 1984. I didn't get over to Sevenoaks much, despite living in Medway at the time. The one day I did go for a photo expedition, it hissed down all day.

Not sure about your timescale, but a couple of these would be a challenge:

post-6971-0-52965100-1448100688.jpg

post-6971-0-92717700-1448100689.jpg

And also from the Hastings line, the Mountfield-Northfleet cement works gypsum hoppers:

post-6971-0-58433200-1448100691.jpg

And for The Bigbee Line, the 83 Squadron:

post-6971-0-38369900-1448100687.jpg

Good luck!

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 5

Yes, the VSOE in 1984. I didn't get over to Sevenoaks much, despite living in Medway at the time. The one day I did go for a photo expedition, it hissed down all day.

Not sure about your timescale, but a couple of these would be a challenge:

Good luck!

More great pics, thanks for posting! It's a shame the weather wasn't on your side, but you got some great shots anyway! Never would have thought they were as far back as 1984!

I'm still a bit vague about timescale - the layout itself is being built based on what is there at the moment, as this makes it easier for research purposes, although there will be a few exceptions. In terms of stock, I have stuff from the blue-grey era right up to the present day. Obviously there will be inconsistencies, but I'm not too fussed about that!

I have a Heljan class 33 in that livery, so just need to find some gypsum hoppers from somewhere.... :scratchhead:  I'm also hoping to order a Hastings unit from Britannia Pacific models at some point, although they are extremely expensive. The bulleid 4-EPBs will be a challenge though!

Edited by tjf4375
  • Like 2

Try Ayjay models for the 4EPB should read 4SUB

http://www.southernregionmodels.co.uk/

Keith HC, Dursley

Thanks Keith - I find Ayjay's website very confusing, I can never work out exactly which kits they have available - they seem to announce new products but don't put them in the menus, I'll email them I think! :)

The late Barrie Swann made a model of one of the gypsum hoppers, using a Hornby MGR as a starting point. It's to be seen sometimes in photos of the wagon repair siding of Paul Wade's 'Tonbridge West Yard'.

There's a set of drawings in 'Merry-Go-Round on the Rails' by David Monk-Steel, published by the HMRS.

That's very handy, cheers for the signpost - I'll take a look!

Congratulations on a thoroughly impressive model. I won't repeat the previous praise in case you head swells too much.

You've captured it really nicely. This morning was the first time I've read through the whole thread.

Ha Ha! Probably a good idea, my head is big enough already without any more encouragement! Appreciate the kind words though, and hope you enjoyed the thread so far - more updates to come in the next few days (if Hattons can get a move on with their deliveries!)

• Like 1

Hello folks, hope everyone is well.

I am sure you're all sick to death of seeing pictures of bridges by now, but I just wanted to show a few more pics of the progress this weekend. I managed to get the outer piers in place, as well as some work on the bridge plate itself. This was waiting on some 2mm brass tube (if you look at a photograph of the real bridge, you'll notice why!) - as this arrived on Friday, I thought I'd try and start tackling the girder side of the plate.

I'm really pleased with how it's going so far - it has been hard work and quite stressful at times, but as this is one of the defining areas of Sevenoaks, I really wanted to try and capture it as best I could.

Anyway, enough blabbering and onto the pics - comments and feedback welcome as always:

post-23547-0-48014300-1448841524_thumb.jpg

Overall view looking over the lines. This view won't be possible for much longer, because it's taken from where the entrance road to the upside carpark will be!

post-23547-0-22331000-1448841525_thumb.jpg

Overall view looking northbound - the battered Mk.1 coach is my structure gauging train!

post-23547-0-49815400-1448841569_thumb.jpg

As looking from platform 2 - the plastic storage bins in the background are sitting in just about the same place that the 'One 60 London Road' building will be

post-23547-0-98909200-1448841525_thumb.jpg

Close up of the plate girder structure. It is sitting across about 28 2mm square brass tube sections. The whole bridge is about 600mm long.

post-23547-0-99702200-1448841526_thumb.jpg

The wonderful Heljan Class 33 passing underneath the bridge - running wrong line but never mind :)

post-23547-0-54784700-1448841528_thumb.jpg

Another shot looking along the girder - you can see the brass square sections on the plate to the left. The bridge butts up against a wall, so I'm thinking of putting a photographic backscene up where it meets - would welcome any suggestions on that!

• Like 5