• RMweb Gold

Just going back to the tunnel for a moment, when the up sidings were in use I recall a driver telling me of a heart-stopping moment on an up service as he came round the curve inside the tunnel and caught sight of red roller blinds. Berthed stock should have had white blinds displayed at the country end there for precisely that reason.

Just stumbled upon thread. Wow - what a cracking bit of modelling. You've got a great eye for the subtle weathering & detailing, from the platform surfaces, stone bridge supports to the greenery on the embankments - all spot on. Now following with interest!  

Thanks for sharing

That's a fascinating pic - that CIG is in rather a sorry state! :O 

Just going back to the tunnel for a moment, when the up sidings were in use I recall a driver telling me of a heart-stopping moment on an up service as he came round the curve inside the tunnel and caught sight of red roller blinds. Berthed stock should have had white blinds displayed at the country end there for precisely that reason.

I've always wondered about why some units showed white roller blinds at the rear - that makes total sense! I bet that driver needed a change of trousers when he pulled into Sevenoaks! :mosking: 

Just stumbled upon thread. Wow - what a cracking bit of modelling. You've got a great eye for the subtle weathering & detailing, from the platform surfaces, stone bridge supports to the greenery on the embankments - all spot on. Now following with interest!  

Thanks for sharing

Thanks Sam, that's much appreciated! Just found your layout thread as well, I've no idea why I've not stumbled across it before but it's looking superb, will be following with interest as well! :)

• Like 2

Hi folks! As mentioned, lots been happening on the layout for the last week or so. I've decided to shift focus back to the bridge area for the time being, to give me a break from weeds and embankments! As a result, the bridge is now fixed in its final position, and I've also added the road leading up to it from the up side season ticket holder's carpark. Lots still to do but I'm pleased with how this area is looking so far - feedback and criticism welcome as always!

post-23547-0-72586000-1491778994_thumb.jpg

This shot taken at an early stage, with the ground built up to the roadside. Next state - road works!

post-23547-0-22459000-1491778995_thumb.jpg

Overhead shot showing underlying structure. I think the bridge was still not secured at this stage.

post-23547-0-89124100-1491778995_thumb.jpg

And afterwards - road surface added leading up from carpark to London Road, grass and weeds added to embankment.

post-23547-0-38360400-1491778996_thumb.jpg

This shot taken looking over the bridge from the up side. The concrete crash barriers were 3d printed

post-23547-0-86691800-1491778996_thumb.jpg

Wider angle view looking along the road bridge towards the station. Road markings still missing, that is the next job!

post-23547-0-35150900-1491778997_thumb.jpg

And finally from the up platform, things taking shape. Grass and weeds still to be added to the ground nearest the camera, and then the security fencing. Sorry about the clutter in the background!

Edited by tjf4375
  • Like 13

Quick update - don't normally work on the layout much during weekdays as I'm too tired from work, but couldn't resist adding a few road markings this evening while I'm in the mood! Here's a few pics of progress.

post-23547-0-94397300-1491864137_thumb.jpg

post-23547-0-57063100-1491864138_thumb.jpg

post-23547-0-63113300-1491864139_thumb.jpg

post-23547-0-59543200-1491864140_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Interesting model. Modern image does not usually interest me, but as I used to live in sevenoaks, and was at school there from mid 60s though to mid 70s, In fact I think we bought or house from the chapwho used to have the model railway shop in the town.  I used the station quite a bit, often to visit Easter exhibition in London. In those days we did not always have to use the footbridge, taking a short cut through the EMU that was parked in the platform. Always preferred to get the Hastings DEMUs as they were always more comfortable.

One thing, having not been back there for years. Is the old , original, BR double arrow sign still on the side away from Tubbs Hill? Reason it was there, I believe, was that the chap who designed the BR sign lived locally. I was in the scouts with his son I seem to remember.

Thanks for the comment - interesting to read about the BR logo. If it's the one I think you mean (ie the four sided one on a pole) then no, unfortunately it is no longer there. It was quite a distinctive feature indeed! From what you say it sounds like the additional platforms were still in place on the up and down sides when you last used the station - that was certainly a long time ago and both have long since gone. The platform on the up-side has been cut back and now forms part of the season ticket holder's carpark!

As far as I remember the sign was set into the slope behind the up platform at the London end. There may have been other signs, but that was the one I remember.

I don't remember extra platforms, just the 2 fast and 2 slow. Just had a look on Google map, and annoyingly there is a train in platform so can not see what is behind.

The paper dock on the down side was still in use up until the late 1980's as i recall unloading from the morning paper train (we were not meant too, but we got our papers for the day..2 of each if i recall).

• RMweb Gold

Quick update - don't normally work on the layout much during weekdays as I'm too tired from work, but couldn't resist adding a few road markings this evening while I'm in the mood! Here's a few pics of progress.

attachicon.gifbridge7.jpg

attachicon.gifbridge8.jpg

attachicon.gifbridge9.jpg

attachicon.gifbridge10.jpg

We really do need an 'Awesome' button for this....don't we! 

The biggest shame with this is - it'll never get out on the exhibition circuit! Some of the best modern image modelling I've seen to date.....

Thanks Jeff. The road markings were done using masking tape, and then stippling on fairly thick off-white acrylic. Keeping the paint thick and stippling with a brush helps prevent it from bleeding under the masking tape. The yellow lines are very thin strips of tamiya tape, painted pale yellow. The whole thing will need a good coat of matt acrylic clear coat to seal it in, but it seems to be holding down ok for the moment! :)

Hi all, hope everyone's having a great Easter weekend! I've made a bit of progress yesterday and today working on the footbridge piers for the station building. The vast majority of the work on these has been on the drawings but finally got to the stage of cutting bits out on Friday.

The initial idea was for these to be test models to iron out any problems with the geometry but for once the drawings appeared to be correct and everything (so far) is going together as it should, so the intention is to continue with these as the layout models. These are huge structures in real life, and because of the exaggerated curvature of my layout I needed to modify them slightly to work them around the curve. As such the various sections of the staircases are sligthly offset, but the hope is that when finished the curvature will be quite subtle.

Anyway, here are the pics of work so far:

post-23547-0-14427200-1492267546_thumb.jpg

Drawings of each side of the piers, ready for cutting. Due to the curvature each side is unique, hence the labelling.

post-23547-0-63655400-1492267546_thumb.jpg

Here the reverse side of the piers showing the landings and vertical supports in place. The idea is to fit out the interiors with panelling and handrails etc, and install lighting circuits etc, before the other sides are glued in place.

post-23547-0-13149400-1492267547_thumb.jpg

The inner sides of the piers. Some of the ribbed cladding is attached. The openings are the window panel of the platform crew offices, and the walkthrough where the lifts are accessed.

Next steps are to build the staircases, and make a start on the interiors. If anyone has any photographs of the interiors of these areas, they would be very helpful indeed! :)

Anyway loads still to do, but thought I'd post a quick update on how things are going - comments and feedback most welcome as always, and Happy Easter everyone!

Edited by tjf4375
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Been away from this thread for a couple of weeks and just spend a jaw dropping few minutes looking through your progress - I can only echo what others have already said - absolutely great.

Apologies if you've already mentioned it earlier - but can I ask how you produce the road surface? I assume its not easy and it looks like you take your time with paint and an expert eye.

I'm still using scalescenes prints - which are very good but I'm less happy with them after looking at this!

all the best,

James