1 minute ago, lego legs said:

Wow! As someone who is new to railway modelling and just getting into it, I think this is incredible. Thank you for sharing your progress, it’s really insightful.

Thanks mate, that's really nice to hear! Really glad you've found the pics of interest and hope you're enjoying the hobby :)

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic modelling - really captures the atmosphere of a modern station!

I would storngly suggest, if at all possible, not permanently gluing down the roof - otherwise if anything ever comes adrift in there, you'll have no way to fix it...

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, Nick C said:

Fantastic modelling - really captures the atmosphere of a modern station!

I would storngly suggest, if at all possible, not permanently gluing down the roof - otherwise if anything ever comes adrift in there, you'll have no way to fix it...

Thanks Nick! You actually have a very good point there. I was going down the road of gluing purely because the roof panels don't sit absolutely flat of their own accord, but I think I will investigate leaving them as removeable. Another benefit of that is that I had thought about placing a go-pro in there to try and capture some video across the carpark! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, tjf4375 said:

Thanks Nick! You actually have a very good point there. I was going down the road of gluing purely because the roof panels don't sit absolutely flat of their own accord, but I think I will investigate leaving them as removeable. Another benefit of that is that I had thought about placing a go-pro in there to try and capture some video across the carpark! 

Maybe have a look at using small neodymium magnets to hold it down? Quite a few people on here have done that with coach roofs

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick C said:

Maybe have a look at using small neodymium magnets to hold it down? Quite a few people on here have done that with coach roofs

Yes I had a similar thought - I have a few of those and they are very handy 👍

• RMweb Gold

Neodymium magnets are my weapon of choice for coach roofs. You shouldn't have any trouble if you choose to go that route. I've not seen Sevenoaks station building in the flesh but that is an outstanding piece of modelling. If the rest of your layout comes up to anywhere near the quality of the station building you can be very proud of yourself.

Regards Lez.

Edited by lezz01

2 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Neodymium magnets are my weapon of choice for coach roofs. You shouldn't have any trouble if you choose to go that route. I've not seen Sevenoaks station building in the flesh but that is an outstanding piece of modelling. If the rest of your layout comes up to anywhere near the quality of the station building you can be very proud of yourself.

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez, that's really kind of you to say. I must admit I am pleased with how it's turned out so far, even though it has taken an age to get here! I think I will take a break from the station buildings after this bit's safely on the board, I feel embankments and trees are calling me 😂

21 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Interior of booking halls and gatelines are so rarely modelled, least ways I dont see many ! And such tremendously high standards of modelling. Stunning work really.

Cheers TT100 Diesels

Thank you mate, I really appreciate that. It has been an aim from the outset to include the interiors of the station, so it's really encouraging that people are enjoying the pics! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Rich_F said:

Loving that Southeastern network map. Giving me first hand memories of the 377/5s (when they ran on TL) & pre-refurb 375s with them on the carriage ends. 

Thanks Rich. Yes I think that was a poster about engineering works somewhere on the network, so I figured it wouldn't look out of place at any time! The last time I went to Sevenoaks the toilets weren't working, and neither were the lifts 😂

• Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I stumbled across this thread for the second time (previously 2017) and having seen your more recent scenic efforts I felt compelled to go back to the start and read all 17 pages again. It is quite amazing how you have managed to capture the essence of the area to the north of London Rd, including the ugly BT building, which we have Railtrack to thank for. The old coal office still lingers on in a semi derelict state, I remember sitting on the bank beneath it watching the trains go by in the early 1970's.  The internal views of the ticket hall, post its 2012 expansion, are also very realistic.  I look forward to seeing further updates as your layout progresses.

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic bit of modelling!  Ref the lighting and interior/exterior shots, and brightness.  Can you get something to regulate the brightness levels?  (I know nothing about electronics, might it be a resistor?)

Also, if you haven't already I'd consider losing some of those budget figures - everything else looks so well done that they stand out in the wrong way, to my eye.

6 hours ago, SED Freightman said:

Yesterday I stumbled across this thread for the second time (previously 2017) and having seen your more recent scenic efforts I felt compelled to go back to the start and read all 17 pages again. It is quite amazing how you have managed to capture the essence of the area to the north of London Rd, including the ugly BT building, which we have Railtrack to thank for. The old coal office still lingers on in a semi derelict state, I remember sitting on the bank beneath it watching the trains go by in the early 1970's.  The internal views of the ticket hall, post its 2012 expansion, are also very realistic.  I look forward to seeing further updates as your layout progresses.

Many thanks! Yes the BT building is certainly not to everyone's taste! Seems to be in rather a sorry state these days or at least it was when I visited earlier in the summer. I'm guessing very little of it is occupied, and noticed there is a proposal to convert it into flats which seems like a good idea.  I didn't realise Railtrack were responsible for it but that makes sense.

I take it the old coal office is that shed on stilts that used to be a taxi rank? I did wonder how it came to be there - it's rather nice that it's been kept for so long. Again in a very poor state of repair these days and probably won't be there much longer!

5 hours ago, Graham T said:

Fantastic bit of modelling!  Ref the lighting and interior/exterior shots, and brightness.  Can you get something to regulate the brightness levels?  (I know nothing about electronics, might it be a resistor?)

Also, if you haven't already I'd consider losing some of those budget figures - everything else looks so well done that they stand out in the wrong way, to my eye.

Thanks Graham. I totally agree with you - those budget figures are eye wateringly awful in every possible way. When I get time I will certainly swap them over for some nicer 3d printed ones. 

I am in process of getting some circuitry installed to regulate the brightness levels so hopefully that will help!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tjf4375 said:

Many thanks! Yes the BT building is certainly not to everyone's taste! Seems to be in rather a sorry state these days or at least it was when I visited earlier in the summer. I'm guessing very little of it is occupied, and noticed there is a proposal to convert it into flats which seems like a good idea.  I didn't realise Railtrack were responsible for it but that makes sense.

I take it the old coal office is that shed on stilts that used to be a taxi rank? I did wonder how it came to be there - it's rather nice that it's been kept for so long. Again in a very poor state of repair these days and probably won't be there much longer!

The so called BT building sits on former railway land, including the site of Sevenoaks market (cattle and general), the well known property development company Railtrack  decided to sell off the land to BT, who at the time were developing a ring of offices around the M25.  By the time the building had been completed BT's plans had moved on and it was never fully occupied, various other companies like Baby Bel Cheese have leased parts of the building over the years and earlier this year it was used as a film set. Some time ago it was apparently under consideration for the location of Network Rail's Kent area office.

Yes, the former coal office is the buiding on legs at the end of the London Road bridge, there used to be a similar building at the other end as well. Charringtons were the last coal merchant to use the building as a sales office, following closure of the coal yard it has been used as a shop (Richer Sounds and others), a taxi office and by a coach tour company. Sadly the building has now been derelict for some time and will probably end up being demolished as I suspect Network Rail or their property agents will be seeking a totally unrealistic rent.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • tjf4375 changed the title to Sevenoaks - station footbridge updates