• RMweb Gold

Tim mate that's just exquisite. Oh yes a word to the wise if your dad, the retired electrical engineer, want's to spend a couple of hours tiding up the rats nest just let him and bring him as much tea as he needs.

Regards Lez.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, tjf4375 said:

Cheers Lez! I'll suggest that to my Dad - I suspect his enthusiasm will waver rapidly when faced with the reality of working with that mess! 😂

...and when he's done yours send him to me and he can do mine....DCC...two wires my a***!

Regards Lez.

I think we're in good company Lez - a lot of us got better things to do than faff about with wiring 😂 I inherited a lot of things from my Dad, but wiring discipline was clearly not one of them.

Scary thing is I don't even have point motors, and it still looks like an explosion in a spaghetti factory.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yep same here. The good thing is mine's all coming out as I've gone back to EM as 00 wasn't doing it for me so this year I'm going to strip the whole 00 layout out clear all of the boards and sell everything. Then I'm going to set out both the exhibition layout and the home layout and using as much of the 00 layout baseboards as I can and build new boards to connect it all together I'm going to have a stab at Dudbridge Junction and either Stroud or Nailsworth as the terminus. I'd like to do Nailsworth but Stroud fits my space better as the platform is curved and at the very end of a curved viaduct however it also has two tandems back to back and a scissors at the far end of the good shed so it's all complicated turnouts. Nailsworth however had a slip and a lower level goods yard plus a turntable so there's going to be compromises no mater which way I go. I might even have to skip Dudbridge junction but if I can keep it then I also get a continuous run, it's lose, lose and win, win whichever way I go. If only I had another 3 or 4 feet but I don't.

Regards Lez.      

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 2

Lez don’t know if you are aware. There are a few Stroud picture threads about on FB and recently I saw a picture of Dunbridge junction.

Sorry to Nick the thread btw fantastic pictures and wonderful modelling of Sevenoaks. Just a pity it not a central division layout.

Keith

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, tjf4375 said:

Many thanks! I didn't know about the ticket office, I guess that's what was behind that roller shutter originally?

The shuttered area on the ground floor is the original Travellers Fare kiosk, the ticket office was in the area facing the top of the stairs where the ticket vending machine is now located.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, WCML100 said:

Bridge looks fantastic at night mate - the lighting really brings it to life!

Thanks mate! I was pleased with the lighting - it always comes out looking much brighter on camera than it does in reality so I think I may try and turn down the brightness a bit. 😎

On 22/01/2024 at 20:18, tjf4375 said:

Evening folks! Firstly many thanks for the lovely comments on the last couple of updates, really appreciated.

After managing to wire in the up entrance yesterday, I had some renewed enthusiasm for tackling the footbridge wiring this evening, not least to see if it all works because I've not yet done that in situ. I think of all the things we do in this hobby, wiring has to be my absolute least favourite thing - it's just horrible. The chaotic scene under my baseboards is testament to that. My Dad is a retired electrical engineer and said "I would love to spend a few hours tidying up that mess" 😂

Anyway I was pleased to find the lighting in the footbridge seems to work as planned, so here's the first set of 'night shots' for Sevenoaks. There's a lot of light bleed going on which needs sorting - the bright spots on the footbridge rooves are particularly amusing! That aside, I was quite pleased with how it's looking so thought I'd share. 

Use1.jpg.85f9b423c69a606731dd12b3ee3e161b.jpg

Use2.jpg.1b738501b9138731b21d455c1e1bc62b.jpg

Use3.jpg.01bab1143015ea71bb8739caabb35ec3.jpg

Use4.jpg.9ff188b3742ec80a143f793bb6811cbe.jpg

Use5.jpg.72f0542070f5f590dcbcc9bf4fa46048.jpg

Use6.jpg.5e67d523651f666175da8c43a6f7f173.jpg

Use7.jpg.8b8a09c9ec7bf42cc2fd0cbbef63b3f3.jpg

These night scenes are very impressive.

Keep up the good work.

Ray

• tjf4375 changed the title to Sevenoaks - Platform lighting
10 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Hi,

The platform lights really look the part and they add just enough light to be to scale too. Very nice indeed! Look forward to some “night time” running shots!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy! Hoping to get a few night time clips together for the youtube channel soon :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to all and hope you're all surviving the perils of late winter weather! Bring on Spring :)

Apologies for the lack of updates - progress has been a bit slower in recent weeks and I've lost a bit of mojo after working solidly on the station area for some time. I thought it would be a good idea to move away from that and onto actual running of trains - so a couple of the locos and units that have sat sadly dormant since the move to DCC have been the networkers, and also my Dapol Class 73. The latter has been a long running challenge, and having replaced the PCB and decoder, I was about to give up on it completely when someone on Instagram pointed me towards a pickup upgrade. Well, all I can say is, after adding some wiper pickups to the bogies, it's a changed loco and runs like a dream. Really good to have it back on the layout at last! 

The other return to the layout is the Southeastern Class 465, which has undergone a complete chassis transplant, and is now running with a Bachmann motor and bogies from a Class 170. Even with the re-motoring, the weight of the diecast chassis on the two intermediate coaches was too much, so I ended up having to remove some chunks of the underframes to get the weight down. Finally it seems to be a reliable and consistent runner, and I'm hoping to replicate this treatment for the NSE one, when funds allow.

Anyway, enough of the waffle, and here's a youtube video with a few clips from February. Hope you enjoy! :)

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • tjf4375 changed the title to Sevenoaks - Spring update
On 12/04/2024 at 12:11, WCML100 said:

Some great photos Tim! great progress and work as always!

I look forward to seeing the 707 progress! 

Thanks mate! Appreciate that - more updates on the 700 coming soon :)

• Like 1