RMweb

Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks again to John Turner, and Peter Brumby, on Flickr, we are still at Brough station, and this time we see NBL built B1, 61285, as it speeds through the  station with a Hull-bound 'Class D' express freight, on the 4th June, 1960.

04/06/1960 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 18

On 24/03/2023 at 14:24, john new said:

Fully concur.

On 23/03/2023 at 08:42, JeffP said:

But it could be argued that the report caused the downturn in caring for steam locos, since it predated the photo by around five years?

The full Beeching report was never fully implemented and was dropped by the coming Labour government.  Horrendous surgery was proposed that included closing a section of the East coast mainline between Newcastle & Edinburgh with trains diverting via the more populated Carlisle and Carstairs route.  No railway west of Plymouth. railways erased in East Anglia except for London to Norwich route. All  Welsh railways closed down with the exception of the direct route to Swansea & Cardiff.  Scarborough wiped off the railway map.  The Beeching cuts  were too deep and too fast and it could be argued that doing so actually damaged the wider British economy.  

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 24/03/2023 at 19:06, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, it was a sad situation when working on cleaning steam locomotives was only one place above going deep sea fishing in the labour market all those years ago. Things certainly have changed over the years…

This evening, thanks to John Turner, and Peter Brumby, on Flickr, we have quite a rare sight of a rebuilt Patriot, from Springs Branch, Wigan, 45531, Sir Frederick Harrison, as it power’s through Brough, on a train to Hull, on the 4th January, 1964. It has been found out to be for the football match between Hull City v Everton, in the FA Cup, which ended 1-1, with Everton going on to win the replay 2-1. Note the ex-GWR Collet carriage leading the formation.

04/01/1964 - Brough, East Yorkshire.

Does anybody know if the Hull & Barnsley route was used by Football excursions in the 1950's ,being the most convenient route to Boothferry park halt before Hessle road Junction remodelling in 1962?

On 24/03/2023 at 12:29, The Stationmaster said:

The biggest problem was staff recruitment.  Who wanted a job cleaning railway engines with relatively slow promotion (and potential early redundancy post Modernisation Plan) when plenty of far cleaner jobs paid better and had far more attractive working hours.   How would you fancy beingat getting to work by 06.00 to spend your day cleaning muck off rather grubby engines with much of the work being done outdoors in all kinds of weather and looking forward to promotion to a job which would require you to start work at any time of the day or night?

In Hull it was probably better than being a junior hand on a deep sea fishing boat but that was about all.

My grandfather was a Ganger on the Railway and through his connections he found jobs for my dad and my uncles, with nepotism absolutely rife.  Two of my uncles finished up as driver & fireman at Dairycoates.  I have seen pictures of them as teenage cleaners, and they look absolutely filthy, beyond description but happy.  The ultimate aim was to progress through the grades and and achieve the top link and higher pay.  So i don't agree with your analogy between railways and fishing.  What they were doing was a way of life.  My Dad hated steam engines, he said they where  dirty filthy things.  He was a wagon repair but ultimately ended up was a scrap man at drapers breaking up the hulks!

On 23/03/2023 at 19:35, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening, with thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we see Thompson, B1, 4-6-0, 61065, of 50B, on a trip working of Presflo hopper wagons from Earles Cement at Wilmington to Melton Lane. Hessle gas works provides an interesting backdrop. It is about 1964. Visible is a shunters pole on the top of the front bufferbeam of the locomotive.

c.1964 - Hessle, East Riding of Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

My grandparents lived at NUMBER 1 RAILWAY COTTAGES.   My Grandmother used to like having a cat in the house, needless to say  prowling cats never lasted very long at Hessle Haven.

• RMweb Gold

The Hull and Barnsley section of the East Yorkshire Railways web site mentions that occasional football specials ran on the line between South Howden station and the Hull City football ground up until 1958.

regards

Peter

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, RAILWAY COTTAGES said:

The full Beeching report was never fully implemented and was dropped by the coming Labour government.  Horrendous surgery was proposed that included closing a section of the East coast mainline between Newcastle & Edinburgh with trains diverting via the more populated Carlisle and Carstairs route.  No railway west of Plymouth. railways erased in East Anglia except for London to Norwich route. All  Welsh railways closed down with the exception of the direct route to Swansea & Cardiff.  Scarborough wiped off the railway map.  The Beeching cuts  were too deep and too fast and it could be argued that doing so actually damaged the wider British economy.  

Not strictly true, the ECML was never proposed for closure. The stopping train service was proposed for withdrawal. Having checked my copy of the report plus that available on the Railway Archive website, neither Berwick on Tweed or Dunbar appear on the "Stations proposed for Closure" list. Likewise neither do Aberystwyth, Llandudno, Holyhead Scarborough.

The actual proposed alterations are better seen on the maps that accompanied the report here 

BRB_Beech001b.pdf (railwaysarchive.co.uk)

Worth remembering that, not getting into politics, but, Labour was elected in 1964, with a manifesto promise to reverse the Beeching Report but, best not look at whos signature appeared on most closure authorisations.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I think it was the Serpell papers in the mid 1980s that had the line closed between Newcastle and Edinburgh . That recommend the network reduced to just 2000 miles. Even Maggie didn’t push that one through.

Edited by D.Platt
Spelling mistake

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, D.Platt said:

I think it was the Surpell papers in the mid 1980s that had the line closed between Newcastle and Edinburgh . That recommend the network reduced to just 2000 miles. Even Maggie didn’t push that one through.

Serpell was a time of considerable madness.  orders came from on high that a certain evel of savings were required and devised and worked various schemes designed to reduce track mileage on the WR - much singling in Cornwall and between Severn Tunnel and F Gloucester, reduction to double line between Ebbw Jcn (Newport) and Rhymney River Bridge Jcn (Cardiff), singling in West Wales.  These ideas and proposals gave various savings in track mileage that avoided outright closure of anything.  I also drew y up a rationalisation scheme for the Worcester are part of which (the elimination of Norton Jcn signal box) was authorised and some work was actually done before it was cancelled due to lack of funds.

In the event the only the real singling singling scheme offering a saving of track mileage which was officially progressed to authorisation was Bathampton Jcn to Bradford Jcns.  But once it had been authorised nothing was done because the general expectation was that Serpell would shut up and go away - which he did.  So that scheme was left to be quietly forgotten and was eventually cancelled when nobody was likely to notice that it had been.

Just as well that Serpell did go away because of course passenger traffic later blossomed following privatisation and an awful of railway would have had to be restored if he'd had his way.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 28/03/2023 at 21:49, Simon Lee said:

Not strictly true, the ECML was never proposed for closure. The stopping train service was proposed for withdrawal. Having checked my copy of the report plus that available on the Railway Archive website, neither Berwick on Tweed or Dunbar appear on the "Stations proposed for Closure" list. Likewise neither do Aberystwyth, Llandudno, Holyhead Scarborough.

The actual proposed alterations are better seen on the maps that accompanied the report here 

BRB_Beech001b.pdf (railwaysarchive.co.uk)

Worth remembering that, not getting into politics, but, Labour was elected in 1964, with a manifesto promise to reverse the Beeching Report but, best not look at whos signature appeared on most closure authorisations.

Thanks for your corrections.  I visited HULL REFERENCE LIBRARY 10 years ago when they had a display on the subject, so memory a bit sketchy.  I do recall that a second Phase 2 Beeching report was proposed with even more drastic line closures, proposing trunk routes, that was shelved by the incoming Labour regime.  I vividly remember seeing a railway map with these proposals as i have previously described, and Scarborough was definitely erased from the network.   I did read somewhere that SERPELL was a re-hash of these proposals.

On 28/03/2023 at 21:25, ASMO said:

The Hull and Barnsley section of the East Yorkshire Railways web site mentions that occasional football specials ran on the line between South Howden station and the Hull City football ground up until 1958.

regards

Peter

Thank you, i just wondered though if the line was used for Footex's from further afield; Sheffield Wednesday/united being prime examples?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 29/03/2023 at 10:58, D.Platt said:

I think it was the Surpell papers in the mid 1980s that had the line closed between Newcastle and Edinburgh . That recommend the network reduced to just 2000 miles. Even Maggie didn’t push that one through.

Such a proposal would have been the end of KING'S CROSS-EDINBURGH WAVERLEY  intercity expresses and the FLYING SCOTSMAN.   In terms of mileage NEWCASTLE- CARLISE-CARSTAIRS-EDINBURGH is not much longer than the coastal route but still a slower secondary route.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you google Serpell report  what was left of the rail network was frightening.  No rail network after Glasgow/Edinburgh , nothing in Wales bar Cardiff, nothing to the West Country  !

57 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Well the Serpell report, in particular, would have been devastating for the rail network, and may well have been the end for the few lines that were to have stayed open. Thank goodness it didn’t happen. 

Now, this evening, thanks to John Turner, on Flickr, we see WD, Austerity, 8F, 2-8-0, locomotives 90378, 90450 & 90008 along with Thompson, B1, 4-6-0, 61306, around the turntable in one the roundhouses at Dairycoates, c1966.

c.1966 - Dairycoates (50B) MPD, Hull, East Yorkshire.

Best regards,

Rob.

The usual culprits lined up!.  My dad would go on to break some of these up a Drapers Neptune street yard.  Would usually take three days, starting with the tender and working forward from there.  A three day week earning more money than he did as a railway wagon repairer doing  Mon-Fri plus Saturday & Sunday over-time.  To add insult to injury he was part of the demolition gang that cleared away SPRINGHEAD WORKS environs in the early 70's; thus ending his affiliation with the railway.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, D.Platt said:

If you google Serpell report  what was left of the rail network was frightening.  No rail network after Glasgow/Edinburgh , nothing in Wales bar Cardiff, nothing to the West Country  !

This may have been the map that i actually saw at Hull Ref in 2013, i know it left me looking on aghast.

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm looking for images of Pocklington for a possible N gauge project and wondered if anyone on here could assist?  I've trawled the internet with some success, including the 'Disused Stations' site but to be honest, it's really the same old images appearing again and again.  I've been through all 153 pages of this thread - sadly many of the links to images in the early pages are now defunct - but I have still managed to pick up a couple of angles that I've not seen before.  Thanks to everyone who has contributed to such a fascinating thread by the way. 

I now own most of the books that cover the line but still don't feel I've really got enough to trigger the project.  In particular, I'm lacking images of the east end of the station including the station yard, coal depot, coal drops, PW depot, timber yard and The Balk crossing.  I'm a Pocklington lad born and bred so have good access to what structures remain but the aforementioned east end of the station is somewhat of a mystery.

Hope you can assist.  Happy to create a new thread if this is not the correct place to post - apologies if so.

Many thanks in advance.