Mallard Autocoach

On eBay at the moment is a Mallard kit for a 57' autocoach, bow-ended. It doesn't say what diagram, I can't see a 57' Mallard or Blacksmith one in the GW.org listing, and the picture on the box lid has number 219, which I think was a K16 full brake?

I haven't decided to bid, but I'd be interested if anyone knows what it is anyway?

Diagram A31, rebuilt from a steam railmotor in 1935 and condemned in 1956.  The GWR numbered nearly all trailers in a separate series so it would have been possible for the full brake 219 to co-exist with the trailer 219.

Other A31s were 202/3/4/5/7/8/9/11.

All this came from Vol 2 of John Lewis's book.  Some people credit me with knowing a lot.  What I do know is which book to consult.

Chris

• Like 7

Thanks for your help yet again..

I wish I could buy all the books again, but if I did I couldn't afford any kits, so I rely on online sources which clearly have their limitations - Gwr.org gives A31 as 59' 6".

Edited by johnarcher

If I was you I would check with the seller if the castings are there, as they aren't in any of the photos.

Yes, that's partly why I look at unmade kits on eBay, ones you can't get now, and am tempted but haven't bought one yet - it's hard to be sure some crucial bit isn't missing. One was on a while ago where the seller had never even opened the box (it still had old sellotape on it) and wasn't prepared to do so, yet it sold for a good price.

Yes, that's partly why I look at unmade kits on eBay, ones you can't get now, and am tempted but haven't bought one yet - it's hard to be sure some crucial bit isn't missing. One was on a while ago where the seller had never even opened the box (it still had old sellotape on it) and wasn't prepared to do so, yet it sold for a good price.

I guess it's a case of how much are you prepared to gamble.

I gambled on a Backsmith (looks like soon after Mallard) pair of clerestory carirages recently, sold as spearate items. One had the castings clearly shown, the other didn't and had the wrong instructions (the ones for the other one). I got the "good un" for a bit less than my maximum so put the balance on the gamble on the basis that I could source or make any missing bits. I won both (unusual for me) and when they turned up both had the castings, one set had been hidden under the roof in the photo :boast:.

At the end of the day decide what you are prepared to chance and stick to it would be my advice.

Just got to build them now :locomotive: .

Thanks for your help yet again..

I wish I could buy all the books again, but if I did I couldn't afford any kits, so I rely on online sources which clearly have their limitations - Gwr.org gives A31 as 59' 6".

gwr.org is correct, the A31 is 59' 6" long over headstocks. Actually it's a few eights of an inch less, but who's counting...

• 6 months later...

Does anyone remember articles describing the building of one of these - I have this vague notion that ERH Francis must have written up such a venture in the old MRC, Model Railways or even RM...?

I just won one off eBay - took a punt purely out of nostalgia and now have another kit to build. Now there's a surprise...

Best,

Marcus

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 13/04/2016 at 03:13, EHertsGER said:

Does anyone remember articles describing the building of one of these - I have this vague notion that ERH Francis must have written up such a venture in the old MRC, Model Railways or even RM...?

I just won one off eBay - took a punt purely out of nostalgia and now have another kit to build. Now there's a surprise...

Best,

Marcus

Perhaps a bit late! But MRC 1976 October, by E.R.H. Francis.

• Like 1