LNER V2 Questions

Purchased this Bachmann model Monday from the local model shop 2nd hand for £40 its named Green Arrow in late BR livery but have a couple of questions

1) Its missing a nameplate on one side wonder where i could get a replacement may as well replace both

2) The rear spruns axle on the loco seems to be derailing on either points or on the curves is there a fix or something I can do

3) Tender logos seem a bit worn on one side is there decals i can acquire to replace the tatty one and i think some of the numbering is tatty to

4) Anyone done upgrades to this model to improve the visuals

4) could I use BR Blue coaches with this or was it run with certain type been running it with a mix of Mk1s n 2s and the Golden Arrow dining cars I have in K type

5) Did any of these run in tandem together at all on services thinking of getting the other non NR one for the same price in the shop if i can fix my issies with this one and smarten it up

Purchased this Bachmann model Monday from the local model shop 2nd hand for £40 its named Green Arrow in late BR livery but have a couple of questions

1) Its missing a nameplate on one side wonder where i could get a replacement may as well replace both

2) The rear spruns axle on the loco seems to be derailing on either points or on the curves is there a fix or something I can do

3) Tender logos seem a bit worn on one side is there decals i can acquire to replace the tatty one and i think some of the numbering is tatty to

4) could I use BR Blue coaches with this or was it run with certain type been running it with a mix of Mk1s n 2s and the Golden Arrow dining cars I have in K type

5) Did any of these run in tandem together at all on services thinking of getting the other non NR one for the same price in the shop if i can fix my issies with this one and smarten it up

Try fox transfers, model master or 247 developments all can be found on the Web

I assume that its a non dcc split chassis version check back to backs

Try fox transfers, model master or 247 developments all can be found on the Web

Check Tom fosters thread (2750) the smoke box door was replaced may also be on the V2 thread

Not in BR green with blue and grey mk1's/2's  it was withdrawn in 1962 blue grey from 66 onwards 

The Eastern region tended to runn these singly they were heavier than a GW King though not quite as powerful

• 3 years later...

Its been ages since i visited this project since moving over to American locos but with the recent release this year of the warwell/flat by Oxford decided it was time to revisit the project for another use. I will be ordering these from fox https://fox-transfers.co.uk/60800-green-arrow to replace the tatty ones that came with the model when i purchased it and have a question about what comes with are the works plates usually found on the cab side or towards the front. I may also depending on how hard it might be replace the molded coal with some real stuff to add some detailing to it. 

No works plates on external view on a V2. They didn't get the nice brass ovoid seen on the cabsides of the pacifics. They were 'only' mixed traffic machines.

It is just brute force and ignorance to get the 'coal' out. The coal moulding is a flat piece on top of a flat surface and includes the rear panel of the bunker above the tank deck. Usually only secured at a couple points centrally.

...The Eastern region tended to run these singly they were heavier than a GW King though not quite as powerful

The Eastern was by intent the single loco railway. Locos with sufficient power to do the job on their own. And it is irresistible to add that a V2 would comfortably outdo a King in sustained power output thanks to a 20% greater grate area, higher superheat and a more efficient front end.

In the 1960s 60800 would have looked a little bit like this - KingsX plates. Cheaper than the competitors but you have to cut them out - not a big problem when they are straight.

38850379710_3ab078c45f_c.jpg
Bachmann Green Arrow 60800

Derailing - as a matter of course I have removed the springs from both the front and rear trailing wheels. A huge benefit to traction capability. Removing the front spring is quite a challenge - straightforward job but just lots of patience.

Lined black livery and Early Emblem - may be 1957 but not a lot later.  So...crimson and cream rolling stock.  Not Maroon and definitely not blue and grey.  I have used Pressfix for tender lions.

Cheers

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

In the 1960s 60800 would have looked a little bit like this - KingsX plates. Cheaper than the competitors but you have to cut them out - not a big problem when they are straight.

38850379710_3ab078c45f_c.jpg

Bachmann Green Arrow 60800

Derailing - as a matter of course I have removed the springs from both the front and rear trailing wheels. A huge benefit to traction capability. Removing the front spring is quite a challenge - straightforward job but just lots of patience.

Lined black livery and Early Emblem - may be 1957 but not a lot later.  So...crimson and cream rolling stock.  Not Maroon and definitely not blue and grey.  I have used Pressfix for tender lions.

Cheers

Ray

Cheers for the info do King X have a website to look at by chance and i will take a look at the spring to see how easy it is to remove myself or i will wait till dad is back to get his help

Hello James

There is a web site - and proprietor Geoff Burton

http://www.gcrsociety.co.uk/kingscrossplates.html

Cheers for the info do King X have a website to look at by chance and i will take a look at the spring to see how easy it is to remove myself or i will wait till dad is back to get his help

Kings X plates are just one of a number of outfits that I support, others include 247. Modelmaster,  Fox and most recently Silver Tay.  I find it mildly amusing that the dimensions of plates from the various suppliers can be so different.

Cheers Ray