Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Patience

AMJ

Please may I ask for all of you in the various manufacturers sectors to not say "when is X coming?"

There are many that have seen announcements and accept the inevitable wait.

I'm sure as some of the manufacturer have a person who posts they don't want to spend all day answering post with something vague.

Patience is a virtue.

While patience is a virtue, if say the person has some major investment into the proposed product, and the manufacturer refuses to give any information, I can see why someone might chime up and ask.

Some companies post "regular" updates to upcoming work which is a great addition.

Though some, you hear a rumor and nothing confirming or denying it for a year or more.

Please may I ask for all of you in the various manufacturers sectors to not say "when is X coming?"

There are many that have seen announcements and accept the inevitable wait.

I guess I am confused by this request.

I certainly agree that repeated "when is X coming?" requests in a single thread would be pretty tiresome. Having said that, unless you know the right string to enter, thread searches are very imperfect so it can be understandable for someone posting to the end of a thread with many pages* to re-ask a question.

* Given the length of time between announcement and delivery such threads can be very long.

I'll stipulate that most manufacturers are doing better about providing dates on their websites. (The reliability of those dates is a different topic altogether.) Depending on the manufacturer, your mileage will vary.  

Asking RMweb when a Hornby item is scheduled is a bit lazy - since Hornby provides a date for most of their items on their website.

Bachmann has many items listed as "§=On Order" and people who pay enough attention to such things can guess that these items are at least six months away, and probably more.

Asking when a Heljan item is scheduled is a different kettle of fish.

... some, you hear a rumor and nothing confirming or denying it for a year or more.

Yes, "or more".

Patience is indeed a virtue,

Conversely, trumpeting a new model release with much fanfare and blanket media coverage for one month - then keeping shtum on ANY progress might be seen by some as bad form.

Personally I can wait and don't badger, but as a potential purchaser of a 21st century spec NBL Class 21 loco, I've given up hope of that particular event even seeing the light of day.

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

It should also be remembered that the time of life when some of us can actually afford a new model coincides with the time of life when that time is running out.....so surely a little impatience can be forgiven?

Never a truer word chaz. I think what has changed in the past two decades though is that because production runs seem to have been pared down so much (for whatever commercial reason), it has become a case of if you don't get one immediately the boat has docked - you're s**t out.

Therefore it could be the case that the postings that accrue the OP's vitriol are not as much attempting to garner info from the manufacturer as they wonder when to pop into the local model shop. If they don't have the nous to place a pre order natch.

Frankly I find the OP rather headmasterly condescending, passing by annoying postings as nonsense takes less effort than commenting on them.

C6T.

• RMweb Premium

PhilH wrote:

It should also be remembered that the time of life when some of us can actually afford a new model coincides with the time of life when that time is running out.....so surely a little impatience can be forgiven?

But surely getting tetchy and annoyed that there is no further information is only going to raise the blood pressure and therefore likely to shorten the period that the manufacturer has available to him to deliver before the demise of the potential purchaser.

• RMweb Gold

PhilH wrote:

But surely getting tetchy and annoyed that there is no further information is only going to raise the blood pressure and therefore likely to shorten the period that the manufacturer has available to him to deliver before the demise of the potential purchaser.

I don't think the OP said anything about being tetchy or annoyed, just about asking questions.

Archived