The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Transgender and Gender Non-conforming People

GarrettTheThief

32 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Referrals to NHS GICs have very long waiting lists at the moment, upwards of 5 years in many cases, which is why I mentioned that currently the NHS gender services aren't fit for purpose. However, my GP did put in a referral, so it will be interesting to see how long that actually takes. For now, I'm going private. While it costs me, it's not too bad, and I get more control over what's happening rather than having to go through the NHS's non-WPATH old school approach.

I'm hoping to go on Cyproterone acetate as the T blocker, but it needs to be taken with care due to potential liver issues. I may also need minoxidil as I have significant male pattern baldness that the CA alone might not be able to handle. The E will just be a lovely extra 😊

The GICs vary, but some are not bad. I have heard virtually nothing nasty about Nottingham, except some of their communication is not great. Think their current waiting list is in the region of 2 years, down from ~3.5 years no that long ago (partly because the appear to have spaces out appointments a bit once you reach the top of the queue). I know Nottingham will treat enbies, and those who are not at the moment fully transitioning.

T blocking and estrogen alone will have some impact on hair loss. But depends on how long the hair loss has been there - ie, might revive some hair folicles that have only recently stopped producing hair but not those that have  stopped a long time ago. Hair transplants are possible. T blockers and estrogen will also impact body hair quite a bit, but will do pretty much zero for facial hair - either laser or electrolysis will be required there (laser is far faster, but won't work on grey or ginger hair, and it relies on a contrast between hair and skin colour).

Estrogen alone will greatly suppress T levels alone for a short while, but this tends to only be in the short term. T levels will slowly increase again (one reason why many start on just E, and use a T blocker if necessary).

4 minutes ago, Spitfire2865 said:

At least you in the UK get a choice on T blockers.  Over in the states, we only really have spironolactone. 

Goserelin / Zoladex is mainly used for treatment of prostate cancer, but is also used to a far more limited extent for trans patients. It is a monthly or 3 monthly injection / implant (often seems they use the 1 month at first, then switch to the 3 month assuming there has been no adverse reaction). However as I understand it the shots are in the £200~£300 each range. They work by stopping the body triggering testosterone production, but a side effect of the way they work can be an initial short term (~ a week) boost in T production. Spiro is very rarely used in the UK NHS due to the adverse health issues (I know 1 person who was prescribed it - and that was only because they had adverse reactions to every other T blocker they had tried).

All the best

Katy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I think my main concern is one that my sister and friends have in mind, that I can get good quality mental health assistance and assessment before and during transition. Without the NHS to provide in any reasonable timescale, I need a neutral person or persons who is/are thoroughly knowledgeable of the endocrine and psychological situation for trans people that I can bounce my history off and get perspective so that I can reassure my sister and others that what I feel 100% about is actually valid and they don't need to be concerned. I think they still have pre-WPATH concepts of validity in their minds and are worried I might not actually 'be valid'. I've been suggested the Beaumont Society as a possible source of that help, but I don't know anything other than the relatively scant info they have on their web site.

Hiya

Depending on the private provider you use, you should be able to get good feedback on blood tests, etc. However  this will be a LOT easier if your GP will undertake the required blood tests (my GP was very good, but some GPs are very bad). Of the 2 main providers, Gender Care seem to be better than Gender GP at this, plus GPs tend to be happier to deal with Gender Care requests and recommendations.

There are a significant number of mental health professionals who will deal with trans patients and be helpful (but some will err towards conversion therapy so should be strongly avoided!). One advantage of some of the GICs is that they are supportive over MH support

Not sure if the Beaumont Society is still that active. There are a singificant number of local trans groups, which vary in the audience they are aimed at. There are also groups aimed at supporting parents and partners of trans people.

All the best

Katy

Edited by Kickstart
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian J. said:

I need a neutral person or persons who is/are thoroughly knowledgeable of the endocrine and psychological situation for trans people that I can bounce my history off and get perspective so that I can reassure my sister and others that what I feel 100% about is actually valid and they don't need to be concerned. 

Yeahh thats the hard part.  We lost almost all trans medical research during the 1930s due to a certain faction who liked to burn things, and ever since the medical world pretty much ignores trans people for research.  The only reason we have any medication at all is because it was used for cis people first and through practice we have figured out what works.  

Its natural for those close to you to be concerned about any major change in your life but they must trust the results of your introspection.  If youre somehow wrong, youll know it fairly quickly after starting hormones.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1