Playing with Hornby Dublo 3 rail again

Jenny Emily

True and That's probably why Hatton's were selling off the Dublo figures so cheaply. the difference the Airfix figures are almost worthless today (not to mention th eawful plastic...) whereas the Dublo figures are 'worth' a small fortune. A thought whatever happened to the moulds - a clear out at Binns Road or Margate?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-DUBLO-PLASTIC-FIGURES/122805894370?hash=item1c97cd3ce2:g:ksgAAOSw63FZ-HCG

These are lack their box, but the price is not unreasonable.

http://www.talkmodeltoys.com/discus/messages/27668/112.html?1273337504

Not sure about airfix figures been worthless I've seen a few box sets going for silly money, as for the pre war Hornby dublo I've a few of these, but not for long, afraid the dreaded mazak rot has started to crack a few up.

My own view merit figures were better, finer and had clear bases, but there are differcult to remove these, my last layout I drilled using a flat drill, holes in the platform and placed the figures in these looked a lot more realistic.

At Chester toy fair about 30 years ago I came across a bag of unpainted dublo figures in a brown paper bag with subbuteo written on, hard plastic I painted them and there now mixed in with some Dublo ones

Figures can bring a layout to life, but for some reason mine seem to come to life and end up on the track, metal are ok as they either cause a short or survive a bit, hard plastic ones unfortunately lose out

MJT cab front for a Dublo emu conversion to 2EPB.Does any one know how to soften superglue as the LH grab rail is wonky!!.

Ray.

post-4249-0-84128400-1511221324.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure about airfix figures been worthless I've seen a few box sets going for silly money, as for the pre war Hornby dublo I've a few of these, but not for long, afraid the dreaded mazak rot has started to crack a few up.

My own view merit figures were better, finer and had clear bases, but there are differcult to remove these, my last layout I drilled using a flat drill, holes in the platform and placed the figures in these looked a lot more realistic.

At Chester toy fair about 30 years ago I came across a bag of unpainted dublo figures in a brown paper bag with subbuteo written on, hard plastic I painted them and there now mixed in with some Dublo ones

Figures can bring a layout to life, but for some reason mine seem to come to life and end up on the track, metal are ok as they either cause a short or survive a bit, hard plastic ones unfortunately lose out

It's true that Airfix kits, including the figures, fetch good prices if still in the original packaging (the price varies with the packet....), but odd figures are usually to be found in the 10p bin on the toyfair stall. Dublo figures are usually a couple of quid each for the metal ones and more for the plastic ones. The latter are much rarer* and superior. IIRC they were made by Subutteo for Dublo which would explain the treasure trove. :)  In the past i've glued them in place (Blu-tak is possibly the answer), but have always intended to try the 'wire in hole' method. (Not on Dublo platforms though.)

* I still haven't got a complete set of the plastic figures. Repro versions are available of the metal ones.

Some of mine can be seen here  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/28222-dublo-layout/

Edited by Il Grifone

According to Michael Foster's book on Hornby Dublo, many of the 054 figures sold by Hattons (I assume after the demise of Meccano Ltd, as the book refers to it being "a few years ago") were wrapped in paper bearing the name "Subbuteo Limited" and a request for further information from the former Subbuteo Director of Development in 1974 resulted only in confirmation that they had been involved "years ago" in the production of 00 figures that could have been for Hornby but might have been for someone else.  As the company had been sold in 1969, he could not expand on this.  It certainly appears though that it was for Hornby.

According to Michael Foster's book on Hornby Dublo, many of the 054 figures sold by Hattons (I assume after the demise of Meccano Ltd, as the book refers to it being "a few years ago") were wrapped in paper bearing the name "Subbuteo Limited" and a request for further information from the former Subbuteo Director of Development in 1974 resulted only in confirmation that they had been involved "years ago" in the production of 00 figures that could have been for Hornby but might have been for someone else.  As the company had been sold in 1969, he could not expand on this.  It certainly appears though that it was for Hornby.

I found mine unpainted in a small brown bag with subbuteo printed on, before I heard about this in the foster book, at the time I didn't think much of it and assumed they were subbuteo figures as I've got the same brown bag in the subbuteo cricket set sold in the 60's.

Subbuteo did sell "extras" for the cricket and more popular football sets, one was a grandstand, my brother was more into it than me and he had the grandstand, I remember it did come with crowd figures wonder if they were the same?

Somehow I've acquired quite a few plastic Hornby-dublo figures, maybe I've brought them with box filled other railway junk, it's only in the last few years I've realised there Hornby-dublo

I come across quite a few sets of subbuteo at car boots, it fetches very little money if anything at all, only thing I go for are the original cloth mats which make a better playing surface than the later ones especially if ironed.

Maybe tonight some more research?

I bought a load of unpainted Subbuteo 'supporters' years ago* falling for the alleged 00 but they are all a trifle large (1:72) and there are only a few different. Having their arms in the air limits their usefulness. Careful surgery produced a driver for a sports car (MG IIRC but red anyway). She is rather camera shy, but can be seen in the corner of photo 4 of post #32 next to the Police car and behind the bus.

*80s IIRC

Edited by Il Grifone

A mock up of my Dublo 2EPB trailer.in true Meccano tradition ,it’s a compromise.It has the wrong overlay at the moment & the MJT cab front suitably modified to fit a Dublo SD corridor coach shell.The motor coach in front is awaiting side frames.

Ray.

post-4249-0-95355100-1511389523_thumb.jpg

post-4249-0-17257800-1511389577_thumb.jpg

post-4249-0-66010400-1511389633_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

" In the past i've glued them in place (Blu-tak is possibly the answer), but have always intended to try the 'wire in hole' method. (Not on Dublo platforms though.)"

I use 'Tacky Wax' to hold figures in place on various exhibition layouts. They have lead a very peripatetic life from North Wales to New Hampshire over the years.  Tacky Wax holds them quite securely and they can be repositioned easily if you fancy giving them a change of scene

I bought a load of unpainted Subbuteo 'supporters' years ago* falling for the alleged 00 but they are all a trifle larg (1:72) and there are only a few different. Having their arms in the air limits their usefulness. Careful surgery produced a driver for a sports car (MG IIRC but red anyway). She is rather camera shy, but can be seen in the corner of photo 4 of post #32 next to the Police car and behind the bus.

*80s IIRC

I've been on quite a few subbuteo sites recently to help us clear up this mystery about "OO" figures and subbuteo products are another interesting minefield. I've over the years collected lose lots of "OO" from various sources, even it looks like now my limited subbuteo collection as a teenager got mixed up with model railway collection.

Subbuteo made a large number of Spector figures over many decades sitting down and standing up also football related figures such as first aid set, TV set, what's come to my attention is the almost similar if not the same policeman set subbuteo sold about 1960 and the plastic Hornby-dublo policeman figures, the moulding looks the same but different bases.

I've been on quite a few subbuteo sites recently to help us clear up this mystery about "OO" figures and subbuteo products are another interesting minefield. I've over the years collected lose lots of "OO" from various sources, even it looks like now my limited subbuteo collection as a teenager got mixed up with model railway collection.

Subbuteo made a large number of Spector figures over many decades sitting down and standing up also football related figures such as first aid set, TV set, what's come to my attention is the almost similar if not the same policeman set subbuteo sold about 1960 and the plastic Hornby-dublo policeman figures, the moulding looks the same but different bases.

Recycling an existing mould makes sense. A new base would have been needed as the 'Dublo' figures are branded underneath. I forget the exact wording and the current location of the figures to check (various boxes...).

There was/is a large range of makes of figures which also vary in scale from H0 to 1:72 (25mm). Careful placing is necessary to blend them in. Road vehicles suffer from the same thing. I always wondered why their manufacturers missed a ready market by using 'box scale' rather than a consistent railway scale. meccano especially - none of the Dinky toys are really 7mm scale and only a few are 4mm (the buses and the 'Dublo Dinky' range. The forward control lorry is 1:72 and will do at a pinch but is rather too long and looks silly IMHO. Mine is in the above picture (32/4). Originally bright orange, it has lost most of the paint and is earmarked for restoration. Should I replace the orange or paint it properly?

I did repaint the 29e single deck bus in 32/2 in the original colours, but I'm not 100% satisfied with the result. ( I didn't pay anything like this price for it either  https://www.toymart.com/Dinky-29e-Single-Deck-Bus/1317 .  More like the E/NB price in the table at the bottom!  IIRC these only came in boxes of six, so the boxed price is nonsense (Try six times the unboxed price and double it - or perhaps not! :O :no: )

There are no prizes for identifying the figures (or the road vehicles and accessories). There are Slaters, Dublo/Dinky, Preiser, Trix/Lilliput, Crescent etc. Most are from the 50/60s, but there are some interlopers (EFE, Cararama etc.)

Edited by Il Grifone

Well,here`s the Trailer car for my 501 ish,2EPBish,2 HAPish

.Compromise is all with dublo but i like it.I have a pair of MJT shoe beams on order for the leading bogie.Now on to the driving car!1f600.png

Ray.

post-4249-0-14362700-1511738613_thumb.jpg

post-4249-0-79537400-1511738672_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Now I know that Mr Hall has 3 railed a Wrenn spam can but i`m wondering if anyone else on here has converted one,he suggested a Marklin skate which I have a few of but it’s a lot of cash to splash out.any comments would be welcome.

Ray.

Now I know that Mr Hall has 3 railed a Wrenn spam can but i`m wondering if anyone else on here has converted one,he suggested a Marklin skate which I have a few of but it’s a lot of cash to splash out.any comments would be welcome.

Ray.

Here you are Ray,

The home made pick-ups and a video in action.  The odd squeak is due to the pressure a little too much on the front (I think) pick-up button. The City of Wells one does not have the squeak so must be correct pressure :yes:

Garry

post-22530-0-18610600-1512063266_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Ray,

It does look nice, and different, but unfortunately I am not a lover of overlays. I have a couple of tank locos I did but the wagons I did I threw the bodies away as, in my own opinion, they don't look right. I know lots of people use them, you, Andy Millar has lots, and a few other Dublo lovers but they are not for me.

At least you have a totally different Dublo unit now, and with different end styles.

Garry

These were  made because i was given a quantity of of very tatty SD suburban coach bidies that were only really fit for the bin,however,being the kind of modeller that i am,i never like to throw anything away.Amongst them was a sd suburban chassis & this series of overlays sort of growed from them.They are mounted onto the coach sides(SD M1corridor shells & chassis with modified roofs & inner ends made from plasticard).This series of EMUs has now come to an end,after all,five of these sets are enough for anyone.As an aside,there seems to be a lot more for sale on ebay at the moment,expensive but not as exorbiant prices as there has been.

Ray.

Has anyone 3 railed a Hornby Acho 0-6-0 USA tank loco,looking at one on ebay,it looks like a Markln skate could be fitted.It`s a cheaper option than 3 railing a wrenn spam can.

My wifes reaction to a Wrenn loco :nono:

Ray.

Has anyone 3 railed a Hornby Acho 0-6-0 USA tank loco,looking at one on ebay,it looks like a Markln skate could be fitted.It`s a cheaper option than 3 railing a wrenn spam can.

My wifes reaction to a Wrenn loco :nono:

Ray.

I have just looked at it Ray and I don't know if there is enough depth from the chassis to rail height, but, that is not to say it could not be done.  I personally would be doing my own version similar to the Spam Can and Lord of the Isles etc anyway but you are pretty good at these things and maybe able to fit a skate.

Regarding the Wrenn locos some TT ones are now pushing up towards £200, I have seen a Britannia go for £185 and a couple of whitemetal kit ones at £188 and £160.  Even a bog standard Jinty went for over £40 and M/N for over £60 this week.  Dublo prices seem to be coming down and TT going up, must be me swapping from one to the other, even Exleys are cheaper now.

Note, I do not pay those prices :umbrage:

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

I have always tried to steer clear of Hornby-Acho (another slippery slope). I do have a 'wagon tombereau', but it isn't actually Acho (though it did have Acho couplings). (Meccano bought another manufacturer's range to launch Acho)

It's this one  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-DUBLO-ACHO-7010-SNCF-TOMBEREAU-A-CLAIRES-VOIES-WAGON-RING-COUPLING-2-nj-/112302599555

I didn't pay anything like £23.50 for mine (of course), but then this is Gostude's alter ego.

Acho catalogue here (French and German needed -sorry!)  http://www.sulka.de/sites/moba/HA/Cataloque/Seiten/73_03.htm

I don't know how much clearance there is under the USA 0-6-0T  (I never bought one because she is H0 scale), but possibly collectors could be fitted from outside the wheelbase?

• 4 weeks later...

I bought this wreck from Ebay a few weeks ago for the grand total of £34.After lots of Homebase paint stripper & elbow grease,

post-4249-0-76105200-1514654396_thumb.jpg

The ugly duckling turned into this

post-4249-0-46103900-1514654444_thumb.jpg

I`m just working on a dummy power car now for my motor drive car to haul.

Ray.

• Like 7