Playing with Hornby Dublo 3 rail again

Jenny Emily

After getting sidetracked for some time constructing Dublo nevawassas,at last i think this is the final form of the rear station layout.I`m starting to wire the points & signals,the isolating rails are all wired.

Ray.

post-4249-0-39470600-1517739875_thumb.jpg

post-4249-0-49975000-1517739935_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

The loco arrived this morning & looks superb.I`ve had a cursory glance & it looks like I could make a new keeper plate from copperclad board & solder a Marklin skate to it.I`ll keep the original parts,at first glance,this seems to be a method of not having to modify the chassis & the tender chassis just needs a shouldered screw to fit a HD coupling.I have Marklin skates in my spares box so will keep you updated on progress.

Ray.

• Like 1

The loco arrived this morning & looks superb.I`ve had a cursory glance & it looks like I could make a new keeper plate from copperclad board & solder a Marklin skate to it.I`ll keep the original parts,at first glance,this seems to be a method of not having to modify the chassis & the tender chassis just needs a shouldered screw to fit a HD coupling.I have Marklin skates in my spares box so will keep you updated on progress.

Ray.

Hi Ray, I think the keeper plate has a couple of lugs on to hold some, if not all, the wheels in place as the axle holes are slots to drop the wheels in and not the normal hole.

Garry

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't made much of a start on the layout yet, but I have finished 3 railing my Hornby (present day Hornby that is) 3 car green Class 110 DMU, using a Marklin skate on the non-powered bogie for pick up from the centre rail. It runs very nicely too, although I had to bend the skate upwards slightly in the middle to stop it hesitating when it passed over an uncoupling ramp (yes, the ramp was in the down position).

I haven't made much of a start on the layout yet, but I have finished 3 railing my Hornby (present day Hornby that is) 3 car green Class 110 DMU, using a Marklin skate on the non-powered bogie for pick up from the centre rail. It runs very nicely too, although I had to bend the skate upwards slightly in the middle to stop it hesitating when it passed over an uncoupling ramp (yes, the ramp was in the down position).

Excellent,pictures please.The 2BIL is an easy conversion as well.Hope to have pics of my Wrenn spamcan conversion soon.

Ray.

post-4249-0-77277500-1519034009_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I've not had that problem, but Dublo pickups are domed to miss the ramp, wheras the Märklin are flat. I have found the ramps (and the centre section of the diamond crossings) do warp slightly despite being made of bakelite. The ramp should be flush with the rails when lowered. IMHO they don't lift sufficiently; the specified 1/32" clearance of the coupling droppers is rather tight.

I have found the ramps (and the centre section of the diamond crossings) do warp slightly despite being made of bakelite.

That may have been the problem.  I compared the well used ramp I used to test it to another, much better one, and the ramp I used does sit fractionally higher.  I didn't put much of a bend on the skate, probably less than 1mm, but it did make a difference.

Maybe I'll have to get around to doing the Flying Scotsman now.....

That may have been the problem.  I compared the well used ramp I used to test it to another, much better one, and the ramp I used does sit fractionally higher.  I didn't put much of a bend on the skate, probably less than 1mm, but it did make a difference.

Maybe I'll have to get around to doing the Flying Scotsman now.....

Is the Scotsman the modern day DCC ready version.  If so then I do away with the multi pin plugs etc throwing them away, and hot wire the two wheel sets together and use the remaining wire for the centre pick-up.  With the old versions I prefer to replace the insulated wheel with a non insulated one so no pick-ups required as per Dublo locos. 

Garry

Is the Scotsman the modern day DCC ready version.  If so then I do away with the multi pin plugs etc throwing them away, and hot wire the two wheel sets together and use the remaining wire for the centre pick-up.  With the old versions I prefer to replace the insulated wheel with a non insulated one so no pick-ups required as per Dublo locos. 

Garry

It's the older version and I have already got hold of two uninsulated wheels.  I can see the day coming when I will be converting a more recent loco though, so I will make a note of your comments for when I will be doing one.

• Like 1

First pic of my Wrenn spamcan conversion.I made a new copper clad p/up mount using the original as a pattern.I drilled & tapped a 8BA hole & screwed the pick up to it using a shortened 8BA Csk.brass screw so that it could be removed to gain access to the fixing screws.A small hole was drilled through the collector base & copper clad & a length of extremley fine wire(from Allcomponents)was soldered to the p/up & fed through the hole in the chassis & on first test,it runs very well,it does run in reverse but i can live with that at the moment even though i have a Ron Dodd magnetiser.Clearances for the p/up are very tight on this model so a countersunk screw is essential.Video to follow later.

Ray.

post-4249-0-83800700-1519054604_thumb.jpg

First pic of my Wrenn spamcan conversion.I made a new copper clad p/up mount using the original as a pattern.I drilled & tapped a 8BA hole & screwed the pick up to it using a shortened 8BA Csk.brass screw so that it could be removed to gain access to the fixing screws.A small hole was drilled through the collector base & copper clad & a length of extremley fine wire(from Allcomponents)was soldered to the p/up & fed through the hole in the chassis & on first test,it runs very well,it does run in reverse but i can live with that at the moment even though i have a Ron Dodd magnetiser.Clearances for the p/up are very tight on this model so a countersunk screw is essential.Video to follow later.

Ray.

attachicon.gif20180219_134422.jpg

With the clearances being as tight as they are is probably why many people do not use Dublo pick-ups without a bit of modification needed to suit the Wrenn chassis.

Tho loco is a heavy beast, probably more than any Dublo loco, and I guess from the cast body having a cast backhead integral.  I am pleased that Wrenn went for the Vertical motor and not the ugly Ringfield that spoilt the Dublo Barnstaple/Dorchester.  Their W/C would have been so much nicer had they used the vertical motor.  These Spam Cans are very nice runners.  Here are the 5 I used to have, all mint and boxed for a bargain price of about £850 the lot, two have been sold on, two have been 3-railed and the last one is a Hurricane with 5 pole motor.  I am undecided what to do with that one as I short out the insulating bush as I don't like pick-ups used but don't have a 2-rail layout.

The photo shows the different shades of lining and the inconsistent position applied, only Hurricane seems to have the cab lining correct.

The video shows one of the 3-railed ones and the last part has it pulling 14 Exley coaches all fitted with real glass windows.  The first 8 are repainted Blood and Custard ones the last 7 are the rare original Exley Blood and Custard ones.

Garry

post-22530-0-59361900-1519056910_thumb.jpg

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Like 1

Hi Garry,i don`t think my wife will let me have any more Wrenn spamcans.its not the easiest model to convert,i had to make 2 copperclad plates until i got the skate in the right position.I don`t think this loco had been lubricated for about 20 years.I will get it hauling a train in the next day or so,i`m having troubles with Dublo plastic couplings at the moment on my Maroon EMU,the centre coach coupling striker is hitting the points at the moment causig it to derail,i think i`ll have to shorten the vertical arm in a minute.

Ray.

PS,oh yes,the nameplate & crest fell off & had to be reafixed.

Edited by sagaguy

Hi Garry,i don`t think my wife will let me have any more Wrenn spamcans.its not the easiest model to convert,i had to make 2 copperclad plates until i got the skate in the right position.I don`t think this loco had been lubricated for about 20 years.I will get it hauling a train in the next day or so,i`m having troubles with Dublo plastic couplings at the moment on my Maroon EMU,the centre coach coupling striker is hitting the points at the moment causig it to derail,i think i`ll have to shorten the vertical arm in a minute.

Ray.

PS,oh yes,the nameplate & crest fell off & had to be reafixed.

Hi Ray, I preferred the plastic couplings but they were/are the worst to keep in the correct position.  At times it seems the rivet works loose and then there is no leeway for the coupling to be adjusted like the metal ones.  Tightening can work but can also work the other way and make the coupling too tight to work.  At least the compensated bogies had the facility to bend the mounting plate up or down but Dublo seemed to go for the non compensated ones again.  I know a few people had issues with the compensated ones but I never did, and my track was never that flat.  A lot of mine even had 3-rail metal ones fitted, I used to swap with a couple of chaps who wanted nylon ones.

Then there is the issue that some actually "bent" and you could not bend them back, especially the long 2-6-4 and 8F front bogie ones.

Most of mine have all been replaced with Kadee's which are far better (and neater).

I guess that is why I converted all stock to Tri-ang style in the 60's and 70's until I started with Kadee's and used them ever since.

At least the centre coach on the EMU wont need to be uncoupled.  You do see a lot of trimmed or removed droppers from the plastic ones for that reason.

Garry

Looking good with train of Wrenn Pullmans,just got to fit a dublo coupling to the tender.I have to admit that this was the most difficult conversion i have done so far.

Ray.

post-4249-0-65076900-1519076780_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Garry,

The plastic couplings are inclined to droop, I find, due either to slack rivets or just bending and they refuse to stay straightened - a failing of plastic in general. (There's an advert above as I write showing a modern tension lock suffering from the same thing!). The tip of the dropper often has flash, which doesn't help and is quite difficult to remove. Nylon is a rather awkward material to work with. The later Delrin couplings are much better (and neater, as are the Trix version).

I have had one or two compensated bogies assembled with the rivet overtightened and reluctant to operate. It's quite easy to sort them out but not for a young child I would think. The problem really is that there is no sideways compenstion for twists in the track beyond slop in the pivots. The earlier coaches suffer from the same thing the short coaches always wer less prone to derail than the longer ones.The former have peened over eyelets and the other a brass riveted and has less slack.

I fit all my bogie vehicles with three point suspension where practical. This stops derailments and the jelly effect. (Athearh freight cars, in particular, benefit from this treatment. I think I've done all mine now....)

I must finish my Kitmaster/Dublo model of 'Wadebridge'....

David

Edited by Il Grifone

Hi David,  the drooping etc is one reason I changed to Kadee's for the rake ends a long, long time ago, and, Dublo couplings do not always uncouple as they should.  I agree with the modern tension locks being loose and drooping, and, they uncouple on their own more times than Dublo ever did.

I have to say I am not interested in keeping items just for "originality/sentimental" or whatever so quite a few Dublo SD coaches have had their bogies removed and had Bachmann ones fitted, this includes the SD Restaurant cars as well, value wise is not what I wanted them for but just to run.  No doubt a lot of Dublo people will be up in arms (and a lot of HRCA members did not like it) but to me the coaches run a lot better, that is if I am not running the Exleys.  Dublo purists as such have very little to run LOL, with only a handful of locos and coaches without any duplication's.  When you go to one of their events it is very boring as Golden Fleece on one layout looks just the same as Golden Fleece on 3 or 4 other layouts etc lol.

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

Certainly Garry is correct about the Dublo 'boys' limited rolling stock but I have the feeling they don't really mind.  They have little desire to run anything else whereas the rest of the scale fraternity has regular supplies of fresh stock every year or so and even then some find this is insufficient as they forgot ones favourite railway.  This situation also exists with old Hornby O tinplate where there is an even worse selection of locos and rolling stock until recently when new manufacturers came on the scene.  I have an all Hornby layout and concentrate exclusively on the brand and leave the new stuff to those who want something different.

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have to say I am not interested in keeping items just for "originality/sentimental" or whatever so quite a few Dublo SD coaches have had their bogies removed and had Bachmann ones fitted, this includes the SD Restaurant cars as well, value wise is not what I wanted them for but just to run.  No doubt a lot of Dublo people will be up in arms (and a lot of HRCA members did not like it) but to me the coaches run a lot better, that is if I am not running the Exleys.  Dublo purists as such have very little to run LOL, with only a handful of locos and coaches without any duplication's.  When you go to one of their events it is very boring as Golden Fleece on one layout looks just the same as Golden Fleece on 3 or 4 other layouts etc lol.

Garry

I think being creative is fine. It gives new life to this particular niche. Models are for running, not for sticking in a museam.

Nigel

That`s why I spend so much time & effort into restoring & converting other manufacturers models,variety is the spice.Once you`ve seen one Montrose with a rake of D1 red & cream coaches,you`ve really seen the lot.As Garry says,this view does not seem to go down very well on the HRCA forum website,the HRCA Facebook page is far more tolerant.

Ray.

I see that Hornby are releasing an Ivatt duchess,Sir William Stanier.Now where did i put that Dublo City body & where`s me hacksaw?.

Ray.

post-4249-0-80470800-1519169862.jpg

• Like 1

Now here`s a question for you.Has anyone on here managed to electrify the Dapol turntable to be able to run locos on & off  of it.The Dublo TT is a fine piece of kit but very large.I only really need one outlet track & would need contacts where the deck meets the track.

Ray.