Playing with Hornby Dublo 3 rail again

Jenny Emily

Hi Garry,yes,i found them but they were for later locos in white whereas i was trying to get them as introduced in 1958 yellow or cream.An email to to fox may help in tracking down the smaller numerals.

Ray.

I'm not aware that the serif condensed numbering was ever applied in yellow or cream - and I was around at the time when new diesels were being produced en masse.

It is true that weathering could make the numbers appear cream, but they were always white when applied, as far as I know.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished at last The 3 rail 8f tender chassis has been milled down at the edges & a slot milled in the rear buffer beam to accommodate the ladder & two water filter boxes made out of 20thou plastic card.It has been painted with Railmatch coal black paint.It does haul 11 Dublo tinplate tank wagons & a brake van but i think that`s about the limit as Dublo D1 wagons have the rolling capacity of a brick!.I`ll take a video in the next few days.Now,onto the next project1f600.png

post-4249-0-68649700-1524176805_thumb.jpg

Ray.

Edited by sagaguy
  • Like 3

Finished at last The 3 rail 8f tender chassis has been milled down at the edges & a slot milled in the rear buffer beam to accommodate the ladder & two water filter boxes made out of 20thou plastic card.It has been painted with Railmatch coal black paint.It does haul 11 Dublo tinplate tank wagons & a brake van but i think that`s about the limit as Dublo D1 wagons have the rolling capacity of a brick!.I`ll take a video in the next few days.Now,onto the next project1f600.png

attachicon.gif20180419_162100.jpg

Ray.

A short video of the loco.

Ray.

• Like 2

They are petrol tanks (hence the silver livery), as was the previous buff Esso tank and the 2 versions of the Power tank (AFAIK These should have been buff/silver too - their box states Power Ethyl* - petrol). The red ones are paraffin  (class 2)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77499774@N08/8381219647

* The Dublo Bible is wrong on this point as regards the introduction date of the second series. I received a complete set of the these for Xmas 1951, so their introdudion date is 1951 at the latest. At the time, I could never understand why the Power tank's box stated "Power Ethyl", but it was obviously the box for the earlier model and Meccano Ltd. were using up old stocks (it's only a box!). This presumably is the source of the confusion. I had received two 0 gauge Hornby Esso tank wagons a couple of years previously. These were also silver and just marked Esso in large letters with no small lettering, number, star etc. at all.

The green with gold lettering is rather attractive however

Edited by Il Grifone

The latest addition to my collection - a 2 rail Deltic "Crepello" body and a 3 rail Co-Co chassis (a lot cheaper than buying a 3 rail "St Paddy" which is an expense that would be a bit out of my reach):

deltic-jpg.2306

Edited by Wolseley

The latest addition to my collection - a 2 rail Deltic "Crepello" body and a 3 rail Co-Co chassis (a lot cheaper than buying a 3 rail "St Paddy" which is an expense that would be a bit out of my reach):

deltic-jpg.2306

It would be cheaper still to just 3-rail a Crepello loco wouldn't it? Just add new pick-ups £15 and short out the insulated wheels.

Garry

It would be cheaper still to just 3-rail a Crepello loco wouldn't it? Just add new pick-ups £15 and short out the insulated wheels.

Garry

Yes,that`s the way i would do it.This is my kit for assembling a Dublo 2 rail to 3 rail Diesel shunter.Chassis from ebay,Blue body with buffers from Wrenn galore & and a collector assy i had in stock & ladders from a scrap body.It`s being repainted green,nearly finished as i type.Finished pics to follow.

Ray.

post-4249-0-79326700-1524902681_thumb.jpg

Garry

I did mine with the collectors from a Trix lighted brake van mounted on PCB - Around £5 with a free van included in the deal. :secret: The vans do tend to suffer from corrosion and the drag from poor bearings and the pickups is considerable. A LED and a battery is a better solution if you want to keep the lights. (Garden light from a pound shop 2 for £1).

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

Garry

No it wouldn't.  It took a long time to get these items because I was waiting for them at the lowest possible price.  What I ended up buying was about £19.50 cheaper than any two rail Dublo Deltics on offer at the moment (excluding a couple that are for "spares or repair").  And I don't have the added cost of converting to 3 rail.

I did think of converting a two rail locomotive though - and I am going to be doing this some time soon to a "City of London" - there's no way I'm going to pay "City of Liverpool" prices.

This is my repainted "London" as "Liverpool",I painted it in BR Green for probably obvious reasons.

post-4249-0-76279500-1524930104_thumb.jpg

Ray.

• Like 3

No it wouldn't.  It took a long time to get these items because I was waiting for them at the lowest possible price.  What I ended up buying was about £19.50 cheaper than any two rail Dublo Deltics on offer at the moment (excluding a couple that are for "spares or repair").  And I don't have the added cost of converting to 3 rail.

I did think of converting a two rail locomotive though - and I am going to be doing this some time soon to a "City of London" - there's no way I'm going to pay "City of Liverpool" prices.

Using your words of taking a long time you can get a Liverpool at a reasonable price, mine here cost £110 unboxed and although not mint it is still good.  I have seen odd Londons up for more.

Garry

post-22530-0-26266000-1524931599_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

You were lucky there, Garry! :)

I've never seen one that cheap.

'Cities' generally are dearer than 'Duchesses'. (Why my 'London' has a Wrenn block and Duchess* valve gear - built from ASP.)

* IMHO the cast crosshead looks a lot better than the pressed tin version anyway.

David

Edited by Il Grifone

You were lucky there, Garry! :)

I've never seen one that cheap.

David

Neither had I David, especially in its condition, but walked in to an Aladins cave of second hand items. There was also the 8F 48094 even cheaper but had been a messy repaint. As I had already repainted my 48094 I did not bother with it, pity though on reflection.

Garry

We need an 'envy' button!  :)

Getting them past SWMBO would be a problem. (I have two women in the family who both think trains are a waste of money and that I have too many already. (I fail to understand either idea....) 

I'm off to a toy fair in Northfleet later. Here's hoping....

Edited by Il Grifone