German locomotive enquiries

Earl Bathurst

Good afternoon

Please pardon my ignorance, i am new to modelling German railways and was woundering if there is a list of the different classes and when they ran to and from in years?

Also is there a list of all the different steam/ Diesel and electric classes that have run in germany over the years?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

It would be a rather complex answer...

German railway history is split into Epochs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rail_transport_in_Germany

There's some useful stuff here: http://www.worldrailfans.info/Articles/Europe/GBriefHistory.shtml

So you have the early, state-owned railway companies (Länderbahn) each with their own class designation and numbering systems (Epoch 1 1870-1919).

Post WW1, we enter Epoch 2, with the Länderbahnen unified as Deutsche Reichsbahn Gesellschaft (DRG) and you get a unified classification and numbering system, with the earlier designs being incorporated into their logical place. Some early electrification takes place. DRG also introduced the Einheitsloks (Standard designs), with further simplification for the Austerity (ÜK) and War (Kreigslok) designs during WW2.

Epoch 3 (1945-1970) gets more complex due to the split into the DDR (East Germany, Deutsche Reichsban - DR) and BRD (West Germany, Deutsche Bundesbahn - DB) each of which took control of the railways and locos/stock in their area at the end of the war. (The Soviets also confiscated a bunch of locos and kit from the East, some later returned). Each did some further development of steam designs, as well as diesel and electric designs.

Epoch 4 starts in 1970 with the introduction of the UIC computerised numbering system across Europe. DB steam finished in 1975 while the DR were still operating steam through to 1987/8.

Epoch 5 commences with re-unification in 1990, DR and DB formally merging as DBAG in 1994

Privatisation (2005-ish) is unofficially(?) regarded as Epoch 6.

There are a few of us on this forum who could provide some specifics, if you know what classes what are looking at.

Feel free to ask questions, and we will do our best to provide answers.

[As an aside, the hat that Fay is wearing in my avatar was that used by my grandfather when he worked as a guard at Munchen Ostbahnhof]

As 87029 points out there are people on here with in depth knowledge, buy you are asking a very broad question.

Try here for steam and the follow up with more specific questions.

http://home.arcor.de/drkai.borgeest/Loks/DE/bn_DEDBD.html

Eisenbahn Courier do a host of books from very general to very detailed. Be warned that once you are bitten German trains are very addictive and very expensive.

Bernard

Archived