Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Gold

Thought for a moment that this could have been somewhere on the North Wales Coast, as looking at the shadows cast by the old station building the sun is fairly high in the sky (so would have been in the south) so therefore the photograph would have been taken looking west.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a likely location

Jim

Not North Wales.

• RMweb Gold

Those two escarpments make me think of Mow Cop for some reason.

If only it was LNWR ... :derisive:

I'm pretty confident I would recognise North Wales and the WCML, possibly somewhere around Wigan on a minor line ('ll check later in my books) , or the Cumbrian coast - or it could be miles away in central England of course !

The escarpments reminded me of around Helsby/Frodsham, but I couldn't match it up.

Nowhere around there with a facing double slip

• RMweb Gold

My first thoughts with that escarpment and church spire were the Frodsham/Helsby area and that is borne out by the red sandstone retaining wall on the right and LNWR architecture..  What about the Crewe - Chester line?  

Ray.

see my posting right above this

Looks highly feasible, although the station's been rebuilt a bit - different roofing and the nearest "porch" has gone, but the hillside looks right, and the church in the original photo would be in the right place for St Laurence, Frodsham, which is on a bit of a hill to judge by the contours on the OS map. The red stone matches the area too.

On the original  image, there's a siding that goes off to the right just behind the signal, through the gate.

If you look at Halton on the Disused Stations site (Here), the map show a siding going of to the Bone Works!

Aligns with the photo. Also, the bay window on the station matches, although different glass pattern.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Looks highly feasible, although the station's been rebuilt a bit - different roofing and the nearest "porch" has gone, but the hillside looks right, and the church in the original photo would be in the right place for St Laurence, Frodsham, which is on a bit of a hill to judge by the contours on the OS map. The red stone matches the area too.

Yep, I have to concur and admit to forgetting about the facing slip at Halton, I'd even given myself a clue by saying there is a branch which trails in from the right of the view - sorry chaps.

Oh dear. If it is Halton, I am in big trouble because my brother used to live there.

I ought to recognise it, although my excuse is that we were usually on the beer - so my memory is shot.

Thanks very much for all the detective work, I really do appreciate it; and here is another, which might be prefaced 'sorry to be such a drag' but I'm not clever enough for such frivolity.

Anyway because it is a diverted west coast service, I wondered if it might be somewhere on the Blackburn - Hellified section but I can't find anywhere to fit properly.

post-4474-0-54083800-1445368051_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonny777

Taken from the footbridge that crosses the railway at Whitlingham Lane

An image from Google Earth of same view in 3D! Trees have grown a bit.

post-3744-0-90242500-1445369770_thumb.png

Edit to add Google earth image and correct road name spelling.

Edited by Shadow

That looks like the Great Eastern standard station design.

The 1865 type I think it's called. Built at the following stations that I've found so far.

Saffron Waldon

Bartlow

Haverhill

Stoke-By-Clare

Clare

Glemsford

Linton

Sturmer

Cavendish

Long Melford

Sudbury

Takeley

Easton Lodge

Felsted

Rayne

Pampisford

Lavenham

Welnetham

Cockfield

Epping

Ongar

Theydon Bois

North Weald

Blake Hall

Braintree

Edited by Shadow

The only one I could find from the above list that was close was Braintree.

It's the only one that had a partial second floor above the central building.

However, the road layout doesn't match today's forecourt, and the roof pitch above the partial second floor is now a flat roof. Haven't yet found any old images of the outside of the station to compare to either eliminate or confirm!

That looks like the Great Eastern standard station design.

The 1865 type I think it's called. Built at the following stations that I've found so far.

Saffron Waldon

Bartlow

Haverhill

Stoke-By-Clare

Clare

Glemsford

Linton

Sturmer

Cavendish

Long Melford

Sudbury

Takeley

Easton Lodge

Felsted

Rayne

Pampisford

Lavenham

Welnetham

Cockfield

Epping

Ongar

Theydon Bois

North Weald

Blake Hall

Braintree

Thanks for the list Shadow, at least I have an area to narrow it down to. 

My initial guess is Haverhill.

It seems to fit with a two storey and one storey left and right hand gables, but seems to have been demolished at some time later so no existing building to compare with.

There is no date on the slide mount but most in that box seem to have been taken in the early 1970s, which would be about right for a station which closed some 10 years earlier.

Edited by jonny777