Jonny's "where are these?" photo album

jonny777

• RMweb Gold

Could it be just north of Colwich, looking south, with the Stoke line being the one coming in from the left?

Colwich was a 2 + 2 makes 4 junction, with connections between the various lines, heading North away from the junction both the Stoke and Stafford lines are double track.

• RMweb Gold

After a lot of thought I have come down with Norton Bridge. The photographer is at the south end of the platform.

The signal was NB12 on the Up Slow. The line to the right of the camera is the recess line, which is the platform line coming off the Down Fast going towards the Stoke line. It was also used to get from the Stoke line to the Up Slow. The trap/run off (sand drag?)  at the south end of the line is to the extreme left of the picture. The line going across at the left is the Up Fast.

• Like 1

Is it?

I have just named all the slides Purley Oaks   :dontknow:  :sarcastichand:  ,

However Norbury would seem more sensible, because there is a footbridge across the line just south of the station from where the photos could have been taken; and Purley Oaks has no station footbridge either.

Edited by jonny777

Is it?

I have just named all the slides Purley Oaks   :dontknow:  :sarcastichand:  ,

However Norbury would seem more sensible, because there is a footbridge across the line just south of the station from where the photos could have been taken; and Purley Oaks has no station footbridge either.

Yep definitely Norbury. 

I think this maybe between Oxford and Didcot, somewhere near Abingdon where the route crosses the Thames, between Radley and Culham, but the line curves differently to how it looks on the map.

post-4474-0-81127000-1447526148_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Foxhall Junction (Didcot) looking west.

Though having got Norbury wrong.................................................... :scratchhead:

You got this one right - it isn't Didcot West End but is looking towards Foxhall Jcn from the road bridge which lies several hundred yards to the west of Didcot West End.  All the works for the power station imported coal scheme - which were relatively limited in that area were well complete by the time that picture was taken as my scheme to convert the Up Relief line (on which the loco can be seen) into a reversible Goods Line had been commissioned as had the new signalling and the trap point which could be seen at the foot of the gantry (I had hoped we might finish up with a wide-to-gauge trap but alas it is an ordinary one).  You will also see that mine and the Freight Operations Officer's insistence that all the new signals structures should have 25kv ohl clearance was duly followed - and is no doubt now saving NR a few tens of thousands of £s.

The conversion to a Goods Line was my 'final solution' of the various options I developed for running round the trains from Avonmouth and was in the end the only one that I worked out solely on paper as a couple of my others options I decided I needed to test so I 'borrowed' a Class 60 and a trainload of HAAs for an afternoon to carry out a full trial between Swindon and Reading plus observing the actual times between Didcot and Moreton Cutting.  I think I've probably still got my timing details somewhere and I've got the photos of course.

I'm never entirely sure about my model railway planning abilities but I can still have the pleasure of taking a trip on the GWML and looking at the various real layouts I planned - this little example being just one of several. 

• Like 2

You got this one right - it isn't Didcot West End but is looking towards Foxhall Jcn from the road bridge which lies several hundred yards to the west of Didcot West End.  All the works for the power station imported coal scheme - which were relatively limited in that area were well complete by the time that picture was taken as my scheme to convert the Up Relief line (on which the loco can be seen) into a reversible Goods Line had been commissioned as had the new signalling and the trap point which could be seen at the foot of the gantry (I had hoped we might finish up with a wide-to-gauge trap but alas it is an ordinary one).  You will also see that mine and the Freight Operations Officer's insistence that all the new signals structures should have 25kv ohl clearance was duly followed - and is no doubt now saving NR a few tens of thousands of £s.

The conversion to a Goods Line was my 'final solution' of the various options I developed for running round the trains from Avonmouth and was in the end the only one that I worked out solely on paper as a couple of my others options I decided I needed to test so I 'borrowed' a Class 60 and a trainload of HAAs for an afternoon to carry out a full trial between Swindon and Reading plus observing the actual times between Didcot and Moreton Cutting.  I think I've probably still got my timing details somewhere and I've got the photos of course.

I'm never entirely sure about my model railway planning abilities but I can still have the pleasure of taking a trip on the GWML and looking at the various real layouts I planned - this little example being just one of several. 

Thanks Mike.

That is great info.

Didcot, off Foxhall Road bridge? see google maps

Edit: 5 mins after posting, 2 answers already! Haven't we got anything better to do?

Dunno about you, I've only been able to answer a couple on here and the other thread about where, but I thoroughly enjoy seeing others identify places.

• Like 1

Is this another taken at Norton Bridge?

I don't recognise these stations with no platforms on the through lines, and the split headcode 37 just puts me off even further. I am old school and associate them with the ER.

post-4474-0-75156400-1447856399_thumb.jpg