Another TrainController 9F v Jubilee head scatch

Barry M

Tell me when you get sick of me asking questions!!

Ok, on the attached image, the 9F is moving with a heavy load on the outside up goods line through Blocks 70 & 16. As it enters & occupies Block 70 it operates the turnout arrowhead in blue. This will put it on the up line through the station.

However!! The jubilee is moving faster and as an express should have priority. It's moving from block 38 to block 7 & then block 6. It will catch the 9F when the 9F is in block 16.

At the moment though, the 9F route is taking priority because the turnout has been activated in block 70!

The order of the 2 schedules starting was the 9F then the jubilee, this because I want the viewer to see the jubilee overtake the 9F!

How can I make the 9F wait for the Jubilee in block 16 therefore the turnout to remain for the jubilee?

When the jubilee has cleared the station, I then want the 9F to move forward?

Finally lets say, the jubilee was running late, so the 9F carries on as normal?

I need to say thus:

"To 9F: if jubilee has activated block 38, wait in block 16, turnout in favour of jubilee.

When jubilee has cleared block 'station', operate turnout and move forward into station block"

But how do I do this????

Thank you in anticipation.

Barry

post-19583-0-21325700-1443686693_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Make it a condition in the route from block 16 to the next block that either the Jubilee's schedule is not active, or blocks 6 and 7 are not allocated.

Make it a condition in the route from block 16 to the next block that either the Jubilee's schedule is not active, or blocks 6 and 7 are not allocated.

I am indebted to you RFS, however, I'm not sure how to do that. That's where im falling down. This logic thing I think.

It appears I'm not logical!! Ha ha!

• RMweb Gold

In TC a route is a path from one block to the next.  There's a route for every possible path, and a schedule involves the train traversing a set of these two-block routes in sequence.  If you go into the dispatcher and list the routes you will find one which the 9F is going to take from block 16 to its next block.  There are tabs on the route when you display it, including one for conditions and one for operations.  If you navigate the one for conditions you can set one for the schedules so that the route cannot be allocated if the schedule is running.

Here's an example from my layout, where a train cannot leave the bay platform if the through road is allocated, or either of two "express train schedules" are active. It prevents TC from scheduling a stopping train immediately in front of an express, delaying the latter:

Capture_zpssfkjgt5b.jpg

I also use the operations tab to turn on signals etc.

In TC a route is a path from one block to the next.  There's a route for every possible path, and a schedule involves the train traversing a set of these two-block routes in sequence.  If you go into the dispatcher and list the routes you will find one which the 9F is going to take from block 16 to its next block.  There are tabs on the route when you display it, including one for conditions and one for operations.  If you navigate the one for conditions you can set one for the schedules so that the route cannot be allocated if the schedule is running.

Here's an example from my layout, where a train cannot leave the bay platform if the through road is allocated, or either of two "express train schedules" are active. It prevents TC from scheduling a stopping train immediately in front of an express, delaying the latter:

Capture_zpssfkjgt5b.jpg

I also use the operations tab to turn on signals etc.

Thank you for taking the time to show me this.

I will now attempt to apply it..............standby.....!

Whoop whoop whoop!! Sorry must contain my excitement!!

Works!! But it waits until the express schedule has completely finished....but I know how to change that now!!

Thank you again RFS!

It was just what I needed - a screen shot or talk through!

• RMweb Gold
Barry M, on 01 Oct 2015 - 13:19, said:

Works!! But it waits until the express schedule has completely finished....but I know how to change that now!! 

A simple solution to this is to split the Jubilee schedule into two schedules, with the second schedule being a successor to the first - referred to as a "schedule sequence".  The first schedule ends at the point where you are happy to release the 9F, and the second takes the Jubilee to the end of its run.  The two will operate identically to the single schedule, but with the advantage of the earlier release of the 9F.

Well, I changed the conditions to occupied blocks which works fine. As per attached image.

But how do I restart the 9F Schedule to start running again? Assume there must be a way to say 'start running schedule again when conditions no longer apply'??

post-19583-0-85388200-1443709901_thumb.jpeg

A simple solution to this is to split the Jubilee schedule into two schedules, with the second schedule being a successor to the first - referred to as a "schedule sequence".  The first schedule ends at the point where you are happy to release the 9F, and the second takes the Jubilee to the end of its run.  The two will operate identically to the single schedule, but with the advantage of the earlier release of the 9F.

Sorry missed this prior to posting next post! Yes that's sounds better. But is there still a way to 'resume a schedule' if the conditions are no longer met?

• RMweb Gold

Sorry missed this prior to posting next post! Yes that's sounds better. But is there still a way to 'resume a schedule' if the conditions are no longer met?

You can specify in the schedule that it is to keep trying the schedule.  That should allow the successor schedule to start even though there's been a delay - eg the route is occupied by another train.

You can specify in the schedule that it is to keep trying the schedule.  That should allow the successor schedule to start even though there's been a delay - eg the route is occupied by another train.

So frustrating!! Where does it say that? I can't find it anywhere!!

• RMweb Gold
Barry M, on 01 Oct 2015 - 19:57, said:

So frustrating!! Where does it say that? I can't find it anywhere!!

I was referring to the "try again" option, which is on the general tab of the schedule.

• RMweb Gold

So the problem is that the 9F has just stopped as required in the block to allow the Jubilee to pass?  But that means it's still in mid-schedule, so TC will restart it as soon as the conditions that caused it to stop are cleared. There's nothing you need to do specifically.

I suspect that it's not starting because one of your conditions is still preventing it, possibly because it's incorrect so I would double-check that. If you look at the dispatcher schedules it must still be showing the 9F schedule active.

So the problem is that the 9F has just stopped as required in the block to allow the Jubilee to pass?  But that means it's still in mid-schedule, so TC will restart it as soon as the conditions that caused it to stop are cleared. There's nothing you need to do specifically.

I suspect that it's not starting because one of your conditions is still preventing it, possibly because it's incorrect so I would double-check that. If you look at the dispatcher schedules it must still be showing the 9F schedule active.

Yes RFS you are correct. 9F schedule is still active....message says waiting for continuance.......

I'll keep persisting.....think I need to change these conditions......

post-19583-0-39841500-1443772669_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

I can't see the full picture, but one of your conditions for the 9F to continue is that block 38 is occupied but I can see that it isn't.  Perhaps need to change that check to unoccupied using the "checked" box at the bottom of the screen? Try placing an engine in block 38 and see what happens.

And it might be more accurate if the status you were checking for is "reserved" rather than "occupied" as it would protect against the situation where the train is approaching but hasn't yet entered the block in question.

Success thanks to RFS!

I was looking at the logic the wrong way.....

I was saying, 'what do I have to do, to stop it running'

What it wanted was 'what do I have to do, to run?'

So by making the blocks unoccupied in the conditions, as soon as the jubilee passed, the 9F resumed!

Thank you again RFS for your patience and advice.

Barry

Archived