LNWR cab interiors

Spitfire2865

Hello.

Im currently building an LNWR Cauliflower and as its nearing completion, Ive been wondering.

How were the cabs painted. There arent really any color photos of the locos, and even fewer showing the interior.

I have seen one model with Tuscan red walls, and was wondering if that has any truth to it.

Thanks.

According to the HMRS LNWR Liveries book:-

Precise details of the colour of paints used for the inside of engine cabs (side panels, spectacle plate and roof) are extremely difficult to establish. The few published sources vary considerably but a consensus seems to be some sort of reddish-brown. The earliest record is in The English Mechanic for 1890 Colour inside cab dullish red, but The Locomotive Magazine 1896 gives light brown. Other sources give red brown, dirty putty and grained oak.

Certainly, the majority of cabs from Webb's time onwards were painted what was officially termed Indian Red. In fact, this was Indian red (more correctly red oxide of iron tempered with ivory Black ) and so was a dullish shade. It can be accurately represented on models by mixing two parts of Indian red with one part of ivory black.

You had more success than I did, Nick. I found no text whatever (the Bob Essery / David Jenkinson books on the subject (I know it's LMS)) say nothing about cab interiors. Photos are also scarce, but would not be particularly revealing in any case.

Talbot says cab interiors painted 'Indian Red' with black firebox backhead, spectacle plate and inner surfaces of splashers. Later changed to 'dirty putty' by Bowen Cooke on most engines. Grained oak finish on Claughton from 1921 and later other classes.

Regards

Jack Nelson's LNWR Portrayed also says red-brown. He mentions that Geoff Pember said this colour was the same as Vauxhall Calypso Red - but that would have been a quote from the early 1970s at the latest. Vauxhall/Opel have probably changed all their colours a few times since then.

Anyone know what the survivors would be in BR days? I have one that someone painted in LMS and its just matt black inside and out but I plan to redecorate for BR.

Regards and thanks

I believe 42 Cauliflowers were handed off to British Railways. Judging by photos, they were more or less the same. Id wager a bet they wouldnt even have been repainted. Most didnt even receive their BR number before being scrapped. But Id say it would still be red interior, LMS black all over.

Obviously, belpare firebox fitted locos would be last to be scrapped, and I believe at that point, all surviving had metal loco brakes.

The Cauliflower Im modeling is such a rarity, being the last with wooden brakes in the mid thirties, non-fluted coupling rods, and round top firebox without washout plugs.

So are you modelling in the 1930s? All the answers so far have assumed LNWR liveries. By the 1930s your loco my well have had LMS livery which had a different style of painting cab interiors.Regards

Yes, Im modeling pre 36 LMS. I wouldnt have thought they would have bothered changing the cab colour. Judging by your question, did they change it?

Archived