Sheerness on Sea

bigdaveadams1

It was worked by CEPs when I moved to Sittingbourne in 1990. Older photos show HAPs. Until the demise of slam door units the branch was advertised with both 1st & 2nd class accommodation so it's unlikely that EPBs would have been diagrammed as standard.

Cheers for that! Didn't realise it was advertised as 1st and standard. So it could have been worked by a VEPs or HAPs on the odd occasion? I've definitely seen a VEP down there.

VEPs appeared on occasion but the staple was CEPs - in Connex days when the 3CEPs were created they were used most often. I believe HAPs were the regular stock in the 70s/early 80s. 

In the early 80s the 1716 Vic - Sheerness had a 4-EPB on the rear of the HAPs, I think.

Get Mike Storey involved here, he has local knowledge.

You've prompted some memories there! Prior to the 1992 timetable recast (which thinned out the Kent Coast service on the back of the recession whilst also creating the paths for the to-be-introduced Eurostar service), some of the peak main line Kent Coast via Chatham VEP/CEP formations were augmented with 4EPBs. These were drawn from a special pool of units (all later BR-design) fitted with 'express gear ratios' - rather than the normal 75mph nominal top speed, they were geared for 90mph running with the CEPs/VEPs. There would normally be one EPB on forming the the back 4 of a 12 coach train, and if you were going to Ramsgate you hopefully had a strong bladder as unlike the front 8 coaches, there was no corridor, no 1st class and no toilets.... 

• RMweb Gold

Those 90-mph 4-EPBs go right back to the '60s, when 5357 and 5358 were converted. They ran the 0647 Eastbourne - London Bridge & 1751 back, I think. The 1716 Vic used any old 4-EPB, though, and as it stopped at all halts and most lampposts there was very little need to run above 75 mph!

Archived