Loksound decoder repair

blanman27

Can anyone please advise me where I may get a decoder repaired. It is a Loksound V3.5. It is fitted to a used Class 20 I bought on eb and while removing it to ID the chip I managed to break three of the very fine wires off!!

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks 

• RMweb Gold

you can very gently resolder it with a fine tip, if not im sure if you contacted legomanbiffo or charlie they might be able to repair it for you.

otherwise its back to ESU and the costs make it a little pointless really.

Ive had a few wires off chips in the same manner and it can be fixed dont worry :)

you can very gently resolder it with a fine tip, if not im sure if you contacted legomanbiffo or charlie they might be able to repair it for you.

otherwise its back to ESU and the costs make it a little pointless really.

Ive had a few wires off chips in the same manner and it can be fixed dont worry :)

Thanks I'll try them. How can I get in touch with them please?

I'm also looking for possible repair to an LS4, but for a different reason, - I think it crackles (not the speakers, they work fine with a Zimo decoder)

Have a look at SWD - SouthWest Digital who are the UK importers/suppliers for ESU. On their website they offer an examine/repair service.

Probably a whole lot cheaper and quicker than a return to Germany!

Failing that, someone local to you, either another Railway Modeller, or a modelling club could probably re-solder the wires for you.

As pheaton says above, the re-soldering of wires can be done quite easily, and, like him, I've had many fall off in my (clumsy) hands.

(not as many as dangly-bits off a Heljan model, but that's an entirely different story)

By the way, Blanman27, if you modify your profile to include some idea of your location, you may find that local modellers come to your assistance!

Regards,

Alan

Had you posted this in the DCC Sound sub forum both Charlie of DC Kits and Legomanbiffo are both very much in evidence for you to message.

Thanks David I'll remember that for next time. As it is now I am going to have a go myself I think. I have got a soldering iron from my work which I will be able to file the tip down on. I also got a large magnifier so I can see it better. I'll use my helping hands to hold the chip and the wire steady and .... just be very careful...  :scared:

Cheers, Paul

Whilst it may be 'cost effective' to file a tip down for a single use, you will probably find it was previouslyt a coated tip, and this prevents corrosion - which will be rapid on the exposed material .... You may be able to buy a suitable tip for the iron you have by searching on line with the make of the iron, or Maplin etc

Thanks David I'll remember that for next time. As it is now I am going to have a go myself I think. I have got a soldering iron from my work which I will be able to file the tip down on. I also got a large magnifier so I can see it better. I'll use my helping hands to hold the chip and the wire steady and .... just be very careful...  :scared:

Cheers, Paul

I would recommend using a fair gauge of solid copper wire clamped to the existing tip filed to a point at the working end plus Ersin Multicore Fine solder.

Huge magnification plus a holding hands clamp carefully set up to hold the decoder wire and decoder together will also assist.

Obviously no sex, drugs or rock and roll for at least a week beforehand...........

Whilst it may be 'cost effective' to file a tip down for a single use, you will probably find it was previouslyt a coated tip, and this prevents corrosion - which will be rapid on the exposed material .... You may be able to buy a suitable tip for the iron you have by searching on line with the make of the iron, or Maplin etc

I was not thinking of being cost effective, the iron I was using was an old one surplus to requirements. I have since realised that I can't file it down so I used it as it was (it was pretty small anyway) with a huge magnifying lamp and....... I DID IT! Weyhey...  :boast:

So thank you all for your helpful advice. 

This is the first post I have put up here but I will get some pictures of my layout posted soon in a dedicated thread.

Thanks guys ...

I would recommend using a fair gauge of solid copper wire clamped to the existing tip filed to a point at the working end plus Ersin Multicore Fine solder.

Huge magnification plus a holding hands clamp carefully set up to hold the decoder wire and decoder together will also assist.

Obviously no sex, drugs or rock and roll for at least a week beforehand...........

Thanks for this tip Dwhite. I had to move the chip as it was interfering with the motor because the red wire ended up a tad short. Needless to say when I did it broke off again!! I used a bit of household mains core I use for my DCC bus and wired it to the tip of the iron.. perfect!! 

Cheers...  :imsohappy:

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Depends whether it is a coated iron cored bit or solid copper (some still are)

Sometimes it is dificult to tin a filed down bit if it isn't copper!

Keith

Can anyone please advise me where I may get a decoder repaired. It is a Loksound V3.5. It is fitted to a used Class 20 I bought on eb and while removing it to ID the chip I managed to break three of the very fine wires off!!

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks 

Return to DCKits and we will sort it out for you.   Charlie

Archived