W&L layout in 0/16.5

kirtleypete

the plan doesnt quite fit right with the photos in the town section to me.

Narrow Lines #226 has landed, complete with article on this Welshpool layout. Very interesting article, complete with some more photos which show the overall size / space of the layout.

The only (very minor) niggle being that the plan doesn't appear to show all the standard gauge. But that doesn't detract from a good article on a cracking layout which makes me green with envy!

Thanks,
Andrew

its a narrow gauge society quarterly so the SG is irrelevant 

Edited by sir douglas

the plan doesnt quite fit right with the photos in the town section to me.

its a narrow gauge society quarterly so the SG is irrelevant

Think that's down to the second level Crossing by Ballards Garage that isn't quite right.

Wouldn't say irrelevant, any plan or map should be accurate, but shan't let that spoil an otherwise good article.

Andrew

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

More than a year on and I've spent today doing a little more to the W&L layout. 

One area that always bugged us was that behind the W&L engine shed was Welshpool market, but we couldn't find any way of representing it on the backscene. My customer found a market on Anglesey that still looked very much as it would have done in the 1920's, so this was duly photographed and with some clever photoshopping (not be me I hasten to add), a length of backscene was produced which I have fixed in place. The brick wall in front is new as well. 

46290030361_99c8526088_c.jpg

Hopefully it isn't obvious where the new section has been added. 

44473164580_16da036590_c.jpg

The colours have been kept muted so it doesn't look overpowering. 

46290030711_833e485b40_c.jpg

The other job was to add some more backscene to the far corner where the tracks pass through the wall into storage sidings. The problem was that we hadn't got any more of the full height backscene left.

44473173750_caf0c4b473_c.jpg

On the left is the original section with a printed backscene by ID Backscenes; on the right is the new section with the sky painted using blue emulsion and then a white spray can for the clouds. The hills were then stuck over this and hopefully it all blends in together reasonably well. I have now stuck more foliage into the opening where the insulation shows in the picture. 

44473170030_c40e16416f_c.jpg

44473171960_a80139c3b6_c.jpg

Now from the operating position you see sky rather than a bank wall.

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I haven't measured it Dave but it must be six feet at least - there's a hatch in the middle that you can pop through in case of trouble! I didn't build the boards, they were already there before I got involved.

Peter

Yes, I think I can see the hatch, behind the bay platform starter signal?

• 2 weeks later...