I am thinking of building an end-to-end GWR layout but I have some concerns.

Combining what Messrs Kazmieczak and Northroader suggest, can I try to sell you a plan that I've been boiling for a year or so?

There were multiple proposals for a railway to be built over the route of the Regent's Canal in London, forming a GWR-GER/LTSR link, but with a branch down into the City using the City Basin arm of the canal. GWR suburban services, onto the doorstep of the financial district. Maybe a daily "business train" headed by a "namer"?

Dodgy track plan attached - the goods station is lifted from Vine Street (Met).

Kevin

Almost got my name right!

Think you'd need a double-slip rather than a single one, otherwise you can't depart from the middle platform, even though it's signalled as such.

Peter

Apologies, Peter.

Yes, and I meant to draw the point from the loco spur as a tandem, to save a little bit more space.

All down to trying to cook, take dinner to other half (in bed with stinking cold), draw, and type simultaneously.

Edit to follow.

Kevin

How much vertical space is available...?

Why not consider two levels, a small branchline terminus on top and a MPD underneath...? A built in lift might be a bit OTT, but the Peco locolift could be used to transfer stock between the two levels when necessary.

My first proper model railway was based on a plan in RM from the 80's, and I made the mistake of later trying to adapt it to justify running a King on it. It took me a long time to realise (and find another prototype obsession) that you can't always fit a quart into the proverbial pint pot, and often have to compromise what you can run.

You are unlikely to stay live in the apartment the rest of your life, so make a start on a layout that interests you and before you are finished (are model railways ever finished?) you will likely have moved to a new location with more space available.

Steve

Some years ago I built a 00 layout based on Model Railway Journal's 0 gauge layout 'Inkermann Street. It represented an inner city suburban staion with attached coal/goods yard. While it only supported a three coach train it used tender engine a plenty. It was 12' x 2' including fiddle yard.

post-19895-0-08619700-1445109599_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I would defer any final decision until you are actually in. There's nothing like being there and using your imagination to find a better solution within whatever space is available. The best I have ever seen on this front was a permanent layout in an apartment living room, with a removeable cassette based fiddle yard, that went into the bedroom.

SWMBO might have other ideas!  :O  :no:  :nono: 

I got a flat "NO!", when I casually mentioned this solution. The most I can get away with is the odd model or book...  :jester:

CJF had a lot of good ideas.  There was one plan where the branch disappeared off into cassette type storage sidings - a rack of four or five was proposed.  In another scenario the main part of the layout was fixed along a garage wall with a hinged section to provide a continuous run during operating sessions.  I am sure he would have had other ideas.

Regards

Ray

Another vote for Minories from me (I'm in the process of planning a similar GWR layout). I previously designed a 12ft by 15inch Minories but modern GEML in flavour that easily could hold loco + 4 carriages. Transposing that to steam would see each train of 4 carriages being removed to a fresh platform by the station pilot, and the mainline engine running off scene to be 'turned'. If you allocate 2 engines to each train of carriages (one facing in each direction) then as the engine is backed off scene it can be attached to the next set of carriages, and the other engine reversed on scene to collect the off going train...... I think I may need to draw some pictures!

if there's enough available width you may be able to fit a TT and small shed in front of the storage roads/end of minories throat.

A Minories type solution seems to suit best, given your requirements, as long as you want to focus on passengers and parcels. It could for example be Manchester (Aytoun Street). Or Liverpool (Victoria). Somewhere the GWR might reasonably have had a terminus, but never did.

Personally, in your space and with GWR inclinations I would do something like Ashburton or Hemyock or New Radnor in 7mm scale, but if big engines float your boat they won't do. 

Archived