20001/2 Kits

Arun Sharma

Soon to come out from Radley Models will be 7mm scale kits of the first two Bulleid-Raworth Class 70 electric booster locos. 3D drawings of the cab and body shell are complete and those of smaller castings are being finalised. Hopefully the masters will be on display at the Reading 0gauge Trade Show at reading in December and the kit available three months after that - assuming capacity exists with CMA at that time.

B-end-both%20cabs_body%20assy_zps3539tjp

Should there be sufficient interest, a 2mm scale bodyshell only [similar to the image above] will also be produced for anyone wishing to add commercially available pantographs and/or motorising units.

Soon to come out from Radley Models will be 7mm scale kits of the first two Bulleid-Raworth Class 70 electric booster locos. 3D drawings of the cab and body shell are complete and those of smaller castings are being finalised. Hopefully the masters will be on display at the Reading 0gauge Trade Show at reading in December and the kit available three months after that - assuming capacity exists with CMA at that time.

B-end-both%20cabs_body%20assy_zps3539tjp

Should there be sufficient interest, a 2mm scale bodyshell only [similar to the image above] will also be produced for anyone wishing to add commercially available pantographs and/or motorising units.

From the picture posted, this would be a kit to build CC2. CC1 was built with stencil headcode, soon removed and marker lights and discs added. However the top marker light/disc on CC1 was lower than on CC2 and for a number years, well into BR days, there were traces of the old stencil frame around the light and disc combo.

Hope this is a help all round. Kit builders might also want to use Southern Way Special No 11 as a reference guide.

Best wishes

Simon

Thank you for that Simon - I may leave the top disc off in that case to allow a builder to position it to taste.

Good idea,

There is also the question of the MU sockets on CC2 which CC1 didn't have, and the Southern "legend" above the cab windscreens which was on a board on CC2, but not on CC1.

Hope I haven't come across as too nerdy about them!!

Simon

No problem Simon - The kit is being designed at the request of a 7mm SR group - specifically, working from a photograph, to represent 20002 in 1956/7 with College of Herald's crests, non-roller bearing axleboxes, symmetrical shoebeams, no central cab front MU connectors, enlarged [i.e. taller] front windscreens, whistles on the tops of the windscreen wiper units etc. This is the green livery with the red & white waist stripe of course. Every livery change on these two engines [and 20003 as well] was also accompanied by a physical component alteration so with this class, the only sensible way is to find a photo of a specific engine at a specific time and place and stick to that - However, the kits are designed to go together rather like Airfix models so can be readily modified by any average modeller.

Thank you

It's not obvious and may be artefactual but after 20002 [at least] had the horizontal rainstrip removed from around the top of each of the cab windscreens, the photos in LI 215 amongst others give the impression that the top of the windscreen had moved closer to the beading below the front of the roof dome. The same is more obvious when comparing Mr Marsden's drawings with later pictures though it is likely that the drawings are taken from what was intended to be built rather than was actually built [as was often the case]. These drawings may also reflect differences between CC1 and what became 20002.

As I said earlier, the model reflects the photographs i.e., what was actually built rather than what may have been intended by the draughtsmen.

Thank you

It's not obvious and may be artefactual but after 20002 [at least] had the horizontal rainstrip removed from around the top of each of the cab windscreens, the photos in LI 215 amongst others give the impression that the top of the windscreen had moved closer to the beading below the front of the roof dome. The same is more obvious when comparing Mr Marsden's drawings with later pictures though it is likely that the drawings are taken from what was intended to be built rather than was actually built [as was often the case]. These drawings may also reflect differences between CC1 and what became 20002.

As I said earlier, the model reflects the photographs i.e., what was actually built rather than what may have been intended by the draughtsmen.

Ted

A few things. Firstly, there are a number of factual errors in the MLI section on the Boosters, so tread carefully.

When built CC2 had a panel above the windscreens which said SOUTHERN and had an electrification flash in the middle. When the loco went into experimental blue in Jan 1948 it had gone by then. As for the enlarged windscreens, looking through Southern way Special Issue No 11 (which I wrote) I am struggling to see a difference in the size from early pictures to later ones.

The NRM does have quite a few drawings for the three Booster locos.

Best wishes

Simon

• 1 month later...

It appears that CC1/20001 had a smaller secondmans front cab window than the drivers (and smaller that the equivalent screen on CC2/20002). You can see the difference on page 89 of the Southern Way special issue #11. And the headcode blind was not fitted centrally.

G

• 2 weeks later...

post-10427-0-53650700-1450559802_thumb.jpg

It appears that CC1/20001 had a smaller secondmans front cab window than the drivers (and smaller that the equivalent screen on CC2/20002). You can see the difference on page 89 of the Southern Way special issue #11. And the headcode blind was not fitted centrally.

G

Attached is a photograph of the drawing from the NRM, for the addition of the roller blind headcodes for CC1.

Looks like they didn't follow the drawing very accurately when it was built and the blind added. Photos of the actual loco show quite a few descripancies.

It's probably best to base any model on as it really appeared rather than as the plan was for.

G.

I'll repeat that the model is designed from drawings and photographs to represent the loco in 1956-62 i.e., green livery with a red/white waist stripe, non-roller bearing axleboxes and with all of the residue of the centre headcode box of 20001 removed. The model's top centre headcode disc has been removed and replaced by a lost wax version which can be inserted in whichever position is required to distinguish between 1 and 2. More importantly, where there is disagreement between what was seemingly designed or intended and what was actually seen [& photographed] to have been built, then real-life wins every time. In that, I am fully in agreement with Grahame's philosophy.

Of much more interest, the 2mm body shell [with its lost wax S-M HD buffers] is at CMA being cast in resin and will hopefully be available soon. However, the headcode disc on that one does suggest that it is more suited to being 20002 rather than 20001.

I'm looking forward to the N/2mm model which I've got on order - adding details like headcode boxes (from plasticard) and air horns (TPM do brass ones) is easy enough. Making any changes to represent the details, condition and livery at the time chosen to represent is all part of modelling and finishing. I've not yet decided whether it'll be 20001 or 20002 but I'll take my cue from photos rather than the drawing.

G.

I'm looking forward to the N/2mm model which I've got on order - 

G.

Is there a link to somewhere I've missed? 

On a slightly wider tack, can somebody clarify who is doing what in respect of the Southern/BR Co-Co's? I realise that the 4mm MTK/No-Nonsense one(s) have entered the lost land together with Shaman wheels of Precision Paints. There seems to be a 7mm 20003 from Radley but there was somebody on this forum doing it in 4mm which doesn't (yet) seem to have become available. Ajay Models listed a 4mm 20001/20002 which (may?) be the 4mm one that Radley offer and that Phil Parker recently built for review in a mag (ModelRail?).

Then we have the Worsley Works N/2mm 20003 etch (errors in top grille positioning). And didn't MTK do a cast version in 4mm, as did Genesis Kits.

If someone can unravel this and provide a list of who-did-what-and-what-is-the-same-or-from-the-same-origination/cad-file then I for one would be very appreciative. And maybe others too. Thanks.

Confused.Sussex

Is there a link to somewhere I've missed? 

On a slightly wider tack, can somebody clarify who is doing what in respect of the Southern/BR Co-Co's? I realise that the 4mm MTK/No-Nonsense one(s) have entered the lost land together with Shaman wheels of Precision Paints. There seems to be a 7mm 20003 from Radley but there was somebody on this forum doing it in 4mm which doesn't (yet) seem to have become available. Ajay Models listed a 4mm 20001/20002 which (may?) be the 4mm one that Radley offer and that Phil Parker recently built for review in a mag (ModelRail?).

Then we have the Worsley Works N/2mm 20003 etch (errors in top grille positioning). And didn't MTK do a cast version in 4mm, as did Genesis Kits.

If someone can unravel this and provide a list of who-did-what-and-what-is-the-same-or-from-the-same-origination/cad-file then I for one would be very appreciative. And maybe others too. Thanks.

Confused.Sussex

I designed the 7mm 20003 that Phil Radley markets. Using that same 3D file, I also designed for "Enterprising Western" of this parish, a 4mm body shell for 20003 that was intended to fit over a RTR modified class 40 undercarriage. This has appeared elswhere in this forum. This body shell is, if I may preen, singularly different in era [1957-62] and [i think - but then I am biased] quality than the [late '60s] 4mm version of 20001/2 that Phil Radley markets on behalf of Ayjay Models/Southern Region Models. Because Phil does market this 4mm class 70, it would have been pointless and silly asking him to also market one designed by me. Hence the current 20001/2 that I have designed will only be available in 2mm/N and 7mm scales. The 2mm model is only a bodyshell with some lost wax fittings and is shown on Phil's somewhat idiosyncratic website [He tells me that he uses a different spellchecker to me!] where there is rather a nice picture of the masters. The 7mm version is being printed as I write and will go off to CMA to be cast in resin early in the New Year and I would think it will be out sometime around April 2016. This is obviously a full kit with motorised bogies,  etched Judith Edge pantograph and loads of lost wax bits etc.

I fear I have no knowledge of the Worsley or MTK or Genesis models.

Perhaps that might make matters a little less confusing.

• 3 weeks later...

Phil Radley  www.radleymodels.com  will have stocks of the 2mm version of 20001/2 on Thursday morning - These will consist of lost wax S-M HD buffer castings and two bodysides/2 cabs in resin. You'll have to speak to him regarding price!

• 4 weeks later...

Looks very nice Grahame - I'm sure Phil Radley would appreciate a pic or two at various stages for the gallery on his website. 

Which reminds me that reducing 20002 from 7mm to 2mm was rather less painful than I thought it would be. Hence I shall make an early start on reducing 20003 from 7mm to 2mm on Monday. 

Apropos of nothing whatsoever, a 7mm, 4mm and 2mm of [an]other well known early SR loco is/are planned. Hopefully to be ready by Burton on Trent......

Archived