20001/2 Kits

Arun Sharma

An additional question Graham, what chassis will it fit on?

I've got a spare Farish class 31 (not the current re-tooled one but with a Chinese chassis and Poole body) and hoping that it can be made to fit. The bogies are about right (size-wise and wheel positions not too bad although the frames/sides will need detailing to represent 3rd rail electric type) and chassis length seems okay. It's a little wide so I need to thin the chassis block halves with some heavyweight filing and hoping I can reduce sufficiently without compromising integrity.

But I'm happy to hear of any other suggestions.

G.

Grahame

I suppose the obvious chassis to use would be a Farish Class 40 minus the pony truck element - should such a beast exist.

There is one, but it'd probably be the same width as the class 31 chassis so would still need to be thinned down. Once I get that done, the class 31 chassis should be okay (and no end wheelsets to remove which would need the bogie sideframes to be shortened and weakening the frame).

Besides I've got a spare class 31 chassis but not a class 40.

G.

125710.jpg

A little more progress, although it's slow as I'm rather busy with other things. But I've managed to add the angled rain gutters above the cab doors, the cab roof vents (cast white metal ones from Etched Pixels), air horns (TPM brass ones), bent up and added the long neck brake pipes from wire and drilled out the holes for the handrails.

Just the handrails to add and I think that's is all the body detailing complete. Then it's painting and sorting out the motor chassis.

G.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be a killjoy but can I point out an error - The ventilation grilles on the sides should be recessed not sticking out. :( This is the error that MTK made with their kit for this model.

Yes, I'd noticed that - they should be slots but with a resin casting I guess it would be difficult to 'pull' them from the mould and the thickness of the sides would be very obvious. Basically they are representational, and there are a few other errors/ommissions some of which I've dealt with like adding rain strips and ventilators. There should also be protruding cab and centre door steps in the sole bar. But I guess trying to improve kits is all part of modelling.

BTW this is an N/2mm model - I wasn't aware that MTK made a N/2mm kit of CC1. Can anyone confirm that?

G.

• 4 weeks later...

A little more slow and painful progress on the Radley N/2mm CC1/20001 model. There's still much to do.

131701.jpg

The blue livery is hand painted by brush - hopefully I've got away with not bothering to clean and get the airbrush out. A little weathering should help distract from any deficiencies. And I've tried to disguise the donor Farish class 31 chassis bogies a little. I'm not completely happy with the result, so I guess a long term project will be to model and cast the correct pattern bogie side-frames, but for now this will have to do.

G.

Hi Grahame,

This build looks like it's coming on well. I'm just starting out with my kit, I hope mine turns as good! Would you be able to post a picture of the chassis without the body? Also could you describe what you've done to convert the bogies?

Regards

David

This build looks like it's coming on well. I'm just starting out with my kit, I hope mine turns as good! Would you be able to post a picture of the chassis without the body? Also could you describe what you've done to convert the bogies?

Basically the chassis blocks need thinning down. And the bogie side-frames have had plasticard pick up beams and new sand boxes added.

I'll do a complete write up of my building of the kit once it's finished that'll be published in the NGS Journal - probably issue 3/16.

G.

A little bit more work but still not completed. One thing I couldn't find in my collection of transfers was some suitable white figures for the loco numbers.

200322.jpg

is it a more scale height  than the 3 Sub they produced ?[/s]

Are you getting confused with the AJ 3SUB kit? The body is in a different class and even though it says it is 2mm scale it compares very favourably with the 1:148 scale drawing in the recent MLI - in fact pretty much spot on as far it is possible to check a 3D object against a 2D drawing. I think if there is any height issue it more about how it sits on the chassis. It could do with lowing a mil and I'm looking at ways to do that. It might mean more filing of the chassis block as the pantograph well is the main consideration.

G.

many apologies I was thinking of the AYJAY model and somehow thought they where produced by the same people

I think AJ might have produced CC1/CC2 as an OO/4mm model that was featured as a how to build article in one of the commercial mags recently.

G.

Archived